Legality of ballistic knives in the US

I know that ballistic knives were banned in the 80's. But are there ANY exceptions? were ones that were already legally owned grandfathered in? or are all ballistic knives in the US contraband?

This is probably one of the more irritating myths about knife laws. Ballistic knifes are not banned in the US. Federal law (15 U.S. Code § 1245) prohibits importing them into the US, selling them over state lines, and manufacturing or possession with intent to sell over state lines. Mere possession or manufacture alone is not illegal under US federal law, but rather is left to the states. And yes many states have restrictions and some outright bans, but there are many states that don't. For example in my own state of MD it is legal to possession them and even carry them in public unconcealed, but they cannot be sold or bartered.

A person in the US wanting to obtain one does have a difficult challenge to overcome, to be fair. Assuming they are legal in their state, they would have to find a knife maker willing to manufacture one for them, or make one themselves.

There is someone on instagram who is offering one to sell one, supposedly manufactured in the 80's, shipped within the US for $350. I don't know what state he is in. I was just curious if there was anything wrong with that.

There is someone on instagram who is offering one to sell one, supposedly manufactured in the 80's, shipped within the US for $350. I don't know what state he is in. I was just curious if there was anything wrong with that.

The seller can do so legally provided he both lives in a state where possession and sale are legal, and is only offering it for sale within his state. If he's failing to identify what state he lives in, it reflects poorly on his understanding of the law. It's not likely a sting because the federal law only applies to the seller and not the buyer, and enforcement of this law is almost non-existent for commerce within the US (import is where it gets strict). It is entirely possible though for it to be a simple scam to steal your money.

EDIT: If you will forgive me doing some checking, I found what a believe is the listing you are referring to. A little detective work shows the seller is located in WA.

Last edited:
Back