Lesser known inexpensive good quaility folders

I'm a big fan of the Ontario Rat-1, and the Utilitac II, also the CRKT Crawford Kasper. What are some other good quality folders for a great value?

I know there's many to choose from out there, but I'm really curious as to what some of the lesser known ones might be. Anyone have any favorites? Any recommendations?

Well...there is a large list of the "usual suspects" that turn up in these threads whenever they occur (pretty often).

I addition to some of ones you listed (CRKT Crawford Kasper? :barf: Unless they have done significant improvements to that thing since I bought one some years back..I think the blade was made of cheese), I will add Opinels and Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter series.

I'll agree with you on the blade on the Crawford Kasper marcinek. It held a nice edge but not nearly as well as the Ontarios I have. In face I had a Hammond Cruiser that seemed to be the same way. It was a fun knife to sharpen because with the heavy use, It needed it rather often. In fact that, and the sheer thickness of the knife as a whole is what led me to getting the Rat-1. I loved the Rat so much I gifted the Cruiser to my father and he loves it. He's a big fan of the LAWKS system it has. While the blades may have left a bit to be desired. The overall construction made the things feel like tanks. Which I personally dig, but it or the Kasper aren't for everybody that's for sure. I also love the Opinels. One of the first knives I ever modded come to think of it. You can bet I'll definitely be checking out the Kabar Dozier.

These EKA's are normally less than $40. I found these mixed in with some cheapos for a lot less than that!

eka001.jpg

Look at the Rough Rider linerlock in D2. Great knife (as are all the Rough Riders I've tried) and inexpensive (under $20). I'm also a fan of the inexpensive (Chinese) Kershaws; never had a bad one.
Rich

Coast FX350/352 for something fairly beefy but with a nice flat grind for slicing. I'm going to buy myself another, plus maybe one as a gift for a family member.

Another vote for the Kabar Dozier Folding Hunters. I gifted 2 of these to my 2 boys and was so impressed with what they could handle at the hands of an 11 year old and a 9 year old that I bought 2 for me!

Esee Avispa. The handle shape is similar to the Rat 1 but substantially thinner and it's a framelock. I have one of each and the fit and finish of both borders on amazing considering the low price.

United Cutlery makes at least one pretty decent knife - the Willumsen Blondie.
Schrade makes a number of surprisingly good knives as well. The SCH300-304 series is good, as is basically every one of their 9cr blade steel knives. The SCH104L is a re-branded Enlan EL-08, and Enlan is a very good manufacturer as well. Check out SanRenMu for smaller knives.

Take a look at the BRK Avispa Folder. Not necessarily a household name - but it reeks of quality and its super sharp!

[video=youtube;o1oJhC4vuKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1oJhC4vuKI[/video]

I'm a big fan of the Ontario Rat-1, and the Utilitac II, also the CRKT Crawford Kasper. What are some other good quality folders for a great value?

I know there's many to choose from out there, but I'm really curious as to what some of the lesser known ones might be. Anyone have any favorites? Any recommendations?

So I have yet to try one, but I have heard that the Coast FX350 is a pretty nice knife for the money.

img_1258-copy.jpg

Its a China knife, but it comes in an arguably better steel than the Kershaw knives from China (9Cr17MoV instead of 8Cr13MoV) at a much lower price. Its only $27 right now on the big online retailer named after a river. Frame lock too.

I havent handled one personally, but I thought about getting one just to see what I thought about it for the low price. People seem to like them.

I don't have any experience with them, but I'm intrigued by the Willumsen/Lansky folders. In fact, I think I might order one of the World Legals right now.

I don't have any experience with them, but I'm intrigued by the Willumsen/Lansky folders. In fact, I think I might order one of the World Legals right now.

I've got the X9 responder, worth every penny of the $32 I paid, but it is a GIGANTIC and heavy thing, it's comparable to the zt 200 I had

Cold Steel Rajah 2... $109 shipped at BladeHQ.

($109 is an inexpensive folder to me)

So I have yet to try one, but I have heard that the Coast FX350 is a pretty nice knife for the money.

img_1258-copy.jpg

Its a China knife, but it comes in an arguably better steel than the Kershaw knives from China (9Cr17MoV instead of 8Cr13MoV) at a much lower price. Its only $27 right now on the big online retailer named after a river. Frame lock too.

I havent handled one personally, but I thought about getting one just to see what I thought about it for the low price. People seem to like them.

...I really like mine, very solid piece, fills the hand well, with a nice, broad blade shape.
The unique honeycomb scale on the front provides a great grip,
with the smooth grey steel on the 'deep-carry' pocket clip side. :thumbup: ,B.T.B.

SOG Magnadot 2! I love mine so much. The steel isnt anything special, and some people dont like the plastic, but I love the thing. Its build like a tank but easy to choke up on for fine work. And its only like 20 bucks :cool:

Back