Let's get the next build rolling

"Umm... Yes, and Twice on Sundays" the Camp knife begins to breathe life, cross your fingers.
20191121_122040-01.jpeg

Finally got some shop time, been a long week. I'm getting some steel ready for thermal cycles and will be working on the knife from the last few pages.

Nice. How clean does that steel come out of the foil, say compared to anti-scale compound?

Nice. How clean does that steel come out of the foil, say compared to anti-scale compound?
As a friggin whistle, an air hardening steel would be dreamy. I'm just running thermal cycles right now, I'll quench with the anti-scale in oil.

These were cycled in a foil pack from 1750F down to 1350F. Can't believe these colors.
20191123_102551-01.jpeg

The colors mean nothing at this point, they are just an effect from the cooldown periods during the thermal cycles. These aren't hardened and these are not temper colors. Just want to clear that up in case anyone was wondering.

The grey paint is anti-scale compound that will keep oxygen off of the steel at high temps to prevent, wait for it...... scale. It's water based and is best painted on warm steel. Scale is not an issue if it occurs, it's just extremely hard and is a pain in the ass to remove. That's just a quick rundown of what the grey stuff is and why we use anti-scale if anyone was wondering.

20191123_120957-01.jpeg

The colors mean nothing at this point, they are just an effect from the cooldown periods during the thermal cycles. These aren't hardened and these are not temper colors. Just want to clear that up in case anyone was wondering.

The grey paint is anti-scale compound that will keep oxygen off of the steel at high temps to prevent, wait for it...... scale. It's water based and is best painted on warm steel. Scale is not an issue if it occurs, it's just extremely hard and is a pain in the ass to remove. That's just a quick rundown of what the grey stuff is and why we use anti-scale if anyone was wondering.

View attachment 1237670
They're looking good, John!
......but there's three (3) of them?! Hmmmmm!:eek::cool:

Back