Let's get the next build rolling

How fine are you going with that palm?

I have a set of black palm chopsticks. I wasn’t sure about the finish because they’re not finished to a fine, polished look.

turns out, they’re perfect. The finish gives just the right grip and the weight is spot on for my liking.

I've got them to 400 grit right now and it's starting to get a nice chatoyance. I didn't think that would happen, especially since palm isn't actually ..... wood...?

Lol, I guess it's what's called a "monocot"? More like bamboo, corn, or a grass than wood. Insanely dense and has a really nice orange chatoyance, looking forward to see how it finishes out.

As a friggin whistle, an air hardening steel would be dreamy. I'm just running thermal cycles right now, I'll quench with the anti-scale in oil.

These were cycled in a foil pack from 1750F down to 1350F. Can't believe these colors.
View attachment 1237632
Those are looking good, I have some AEB-L, I should make myself one.

Those are looking good, I have some AEB-L, I should make myself one.
Thanks Scott, I milled down some scales for these today, Blackwood, mesquite burl, and that Spalted wood. I hope they cut well because they sure will be purdy! As thin as they are they feel like lasers already, I think they'll work out well.

The sandbar in red palm will be available soon and will come with a right or wrong handed sash style sheath. I didn't think the sandbar influence was noticeable but Shel spotted it early in the thread.

The sandbar in red palm will be available soon and will come with a right or wrong handed sash style sheath. I didn't think the sandbar influence was noticeable but Shel spotted it early in the thread.
That's a fine looking piece.
Unfortunately my budget is not supporting a purchase for a while :(

Back