Let's give Buck some new product ideas

... If I'm seeing this correctly, it looks like all slipjoint production has gone overseas. That's a bit disappointing. I'm not a marketing expert but it seems like the people who will mostly buy that kind of knife will expect them to be USA made and hold a good edge, otherwise they will buy a Case or some similar knife....

It is my understanding that the discontinuance of the USA slipjoint production is only temporary. On April 19 Hubbard said...

The 300 series is being re-tooled and will be back at some point.

I'd like to see

Single blade 300 series knives - 309 and 303 sizes in particular

a 55 lightweight and

I'd also like to see them bring back the 700 series....

I'd like to see a lock back version of the Vantage. And a Vantage with thumb stud instead of hole.

Would also like to see the Spitfire line with different blade options (drop point, clip).

And maybe a dedicated whittler's knife from Buck.

Pretty good ideas I see. A lock back Vantage didnt cross my mind. Buck does such a good job with lock backs.

Regarding the request for bushcraft/survival knives...

I would love to see Buck consolidate their bushcraft/survival knives along a thin convexed saber-flat grind like on this old Schrade H-15.
Schrade H-15 by Pinnah, on Flickr

IMO, Ron Hood was heading somewhat in the right direction with his use of full flat grinds for his knives. I don't care for fat saber-flat (aka scandi) grinds for general bushcraft and camping use. They are great for wood working but are a bit too limited as they don't deal with food prep as well. Neither do I like full flat grind as they have don't have good splitting power.

The convexed high saber-flat grind of the old H-15 (and similar old Schrades) was just ideal. In truth, I don't think this grind is very far off from the original Buck fixed blades, so in a sense, this may harken back to Buck's roots.

IMO, the clip points and hollow grinds of the 100 series and the use of hollow grinds in general are fine for hunting or even tacticool knives, but less so for general woods use. Reviving this convexed high saber-flat grind would separate Buck from the thick convex/scandi crowd (Mora, Bark River, Helle, many others) and from teh full flat crowd (RAT, ESEE, many others).

IMO, any Buck bushcraft line should retain the full length tang of the original 100 series and the black phenolic handles with optional wood (more $) and rubber versions (less $). IMO, full exposed tang isn't needed and gets colder in cold weather.
A lot of truth there.
Not as visually appealing so we must keep all them other bling knives.
But for me and sounds like for you there are users and then there is everything else.

Welcome to the Ugly But I Like It club brother.
PS : put on your flame retardent underwear.

Add the 110 and 112 Slim Pros to the custom shop with a a variety of handle selections from G10 and Micartas (add the old style maroon) along with Carbon Fiber and add damascus blades as an option.

I seen this thread and had to see what you all thought. I'm a part time custom knifemaker and I have been thinking about contacting Buck and pitching this design to them. I have no idea how to go about doing that but thought since I seen this thread why not ask you all if it is even something people would be interested in.
The blade is 12" CPM3V and handle is a coffee bag burlap.
eTviFEH.jpg

I also think Buck needs to ramp up there modern folder game. I have a Buck Vantage Pro and I love the design but damn that knife is like a really good looking woman but terrible kisser...lol
Blade not centered terrible flipper.

If they could make the marksman design in a liner lock on bearings at a lower price point they would sell a ton.

How about a Buck 110 built to the exact specs and dimensions as the original 1964 110? Offer it in the dymondwood, and current steel(with upgraded versions available). Everyone seems to like thinner knives nowdays and those were thinner, ahead of their time before all of the thinline type of knives. Just replace the current 110 with one that looks like it came out of 1964 and the only thing "modern" is the dymondwood. Purist would be happy and idiots like me could sharpen it. Maybe even invert the tang stamp. I think these would be huge!

Didn't read every reply.

I would like to see a heavy duty version of the 110 with (A) a tough steel and (B) a newer premium stainless. This would be a pro quality knife with a larger and more heavy duty frame. Don't know what fasteners should be used.

112 LT drop point in 5160 with orange handles. Would be a perfect work knife

I'm constantly snagging my 112 sheath on wires and getting tangled up in harnesses on the job I'd like to see a leather horizontal carry 110 and 112 sheath. If it was sized for a 1 3/4" belt would be icing on the cake my favorite work belt is a Wilderness Instructor 5 stitch 1 3/4". And yes I do use it to tie off with from time to time. Although OSHA would frown upon me doing so. Sometimes a harness isn't practical.

Maybe SK could do a knife/ sheath combo and call it the "Tradesman". Hint, hint!

Last edited:
I can't believe I did not mention the one thing I truly wish Buck would offer..A aluminum frame 112. I considered the 110 aluminum frame a huge leap in the evolution of the 110 and thought by now it would rival brass in numbers of limited editions and in popularity generally. If tooling and development costs are not excessive I think it would be a winner for Buck!

I sold my aluminum version. Didnt feel right. lol Nice knife but prefer the weight.

Bucksway, check out Copper & Clad. They offer an aluminum 110 with paperstone. I own one. It's pretty darn light. Probably lighter than the newer 110 LT models.

Back