Let's give Buck some new product ideas

How about a 110/112 auto with a more premium steel (ats-154, s30v etc) and a tip up/tip down pocket clip?

I think those would sell pretty well.
Honestly I dont think you’d even need to change handle or bolster materials in order to make it appealing.
they make the auto in a s30v version. no pocket clip version for a good reason though. the button/plunge lock button isnt recessed at all and no safety. I'm not a believer in recessed buttons working very well as I've seen them open in pocket carry while carrying other things in the pocket. I'd prefer a safety. it would be very dangerous without a safety of some sort.

How about a folding utility knife? I've went through a half dozen the last few years and this morning the lock failed on a 6 month old Irwin.

I find it astonishing that no reputable knife company besides Gerber (are they reputable? Haha) offers a knife of this style.

So what would that be? Would that not be the 112 or the 500, which has the same front bolster profile. Smaller than that would be the 501.
They're like smaller 110's but don't look exactly like someone took s shrink ray to a 110.

The curved bolsters are what makes the 55! One day I intend to grind them into a 501.
I wonder if the 55 clip point blade could be swapped with a 503 drop point, and vice versa? The blade length is the same as is the blade stock thickness. Sort of a frankenbuck, I guess.

I wonder if the 55 clip point blade could be swapped with a 503 drop point, and vice versa? The blade length is the same as is the blade stock thickness. Sort of a frankenbuck, I guess.

If you did that you just might have a miniature 110.

So what would that be? Would that not be the 112 or the 500, which has the same front bolster profile. Smaller than that would be the 501.

The 112 is not a true scaled down version of the 110.

Last edited:
I'd like to see an LT version of the 101. Preferably in CPM-154, but I would go for a 101 LT in 420HC. To me, the 110 LT is Very comfortable in hand and very nimble. A fixed blade version that was just as light and nimble would be perfect.

Would also like to see some Flat Ground blades. like the 119 and 120 flat ground. Hidden tangs don't bother me. Traded my 119 because of the deep hollow grind. It caused a bit of binding when cutting stuff like Potatoes. A high flat grind would probably slice veggies much better.

I'd like to see an LT version of the 101. Preferably in CPM-154, but I would go for a 101 LT in 420HC. To me, the 110 LT is Very comfortable in hand and very nimble. A fixed blade version that was just as light and nimble would be perfect.

Would also like to see some Flat Ground blades. like the 119 and 120 flat ground. Hidden tangs don't bother me. Traded my 119 because of the deep hollow grind. It caused a bit of binding when cutting stuff like Potatoes. A high flat grind would probably slice veggies much better.
A 101LT would probably sell pretty well too.

I'm a little late to the party here but I think I came up with a good one this morning. I keep reading over on the Buck Facebook groups that Buck is really getting serious about ending the Chinese imports. Well, that would mean an end to the only purpose built bushcraft knife in the Buck line, the Selkirk. Well, I was admiring my Mesa this morning while I was making some feather sticks for the wood stove and it got me thinking. The mesa is a good enough bush knife for me, as is the 119 for that matter, but it lacks some features that "bushcrafters" look for in a knife. Anyway, I think Buck could produce a great US made bush knife from the Mesa pretty easily by getting rid of the recurve and making it flat ground. The mesa already has a full tang, micarta handles and an ambidextrous sheath so with a flat grind it could easily replace the Selkirk and give us a US made knife for about the same money. Then they could add an upgraded version in 5160 or S30V and give the option of the tactical sheath from the sentry or maybe something leather.

I'm a little late to the party here but I think I came up with a good one this morning. I keep reading over on the Buck Facebook groups that Buck is really getting serious about ending the Chinese imports. Well, that would mean an end to the only purpose built bushcraft knife in the Buck line, the Selkirk. Well, I was admiring my Mesa this morning while I was making some feather sticks for the wood stove and it got me thinking. The mesa is a good enough bush knife for me, as is the 119 for that matter, but it lacks some features that "bushcrafters" look for in a knife. Anyway, I think Buck could produce a great US made bush knife from the Mesa pretty easily by getting rid of the recurve and making it flat ground. The mesa already has a full tang, micarta handles and an ambidextrous sheath so with a flat grind it could easily replace the Selkirk and give us a US made knife for about the same money. Then they could add an upgraded version in 5160 or S30V and give the option of the tactical sheath from the sentry or maybe something leather.

This is a good point. I honestly think they 119 would be a good bushcraft platform. Make it a drop point and a saber grind would be a simple start. Dropping the guard on the handle, or at least the back, would be another. The thickness and blade length are pretty good, IMO. Wouldn't mind seeing that blade shape look a little more like a Kephart, TBH.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 524 with brass sides and a stamped logo, and I would certainly not complain if said version came with a clip point blade.

The ship sailed about a decade ago but....I wanted to see a BuckTool for archers. Hex tools, knocking pliers, universal broad head wrench, and some other odds and ends.

Back