Let's go to the match(es)

The only match box I have is so ugly that I dare not show it ... :oops: So I took an old Dutch deck of cards instead, I hope you don't mind. :confused:
uAsICxC.jpg

Very atmospheric JP :cool: And I liked your anecdote about your Gran sewing fur coats and the trick you played :D Gitanes Maís burned slow yes but I liked that, you could keep them in your mouth and look cool;) Talking of which, here's a little clip of smoking chic and some nostalgia too-great 50s cars on view:thumbsup: But Belmondo was the epitome of cool and I don't think he ever stop chain smoking:eek: but he's still with us today, more or less. I like to think he was nearly as handsome as me when I was young ;):D but that soon vanishes, film doesn't.

This ashtray is the only memento I have of my grandfather, who was an officer* with the British Royal Horse Artillery in India (and for a while, Burma). He died when I was an infant. I don’t really have an appropriate knife to go along with it.
YEQESAW.jpg

*May just have been a senior non-commissioned officer - I am unsure of this now.

Last edited:
This ashtray is the only memento I have of my grandfather, who was an officer with the British Royal Horse Artillery in India (and for a while, Burma). He died when I was an infant. I don’t really have an appropriate knife to go along with it.
YEQESAW.jpg

My father was in the RHA Tom, only doing his 'National Service' though, in the 1950's. He was stationed in Germany. I think other family members members may have been in the RHA too (as well as in the Royal Artillery) :thumbsup:

J Just Tom. Very nice set up, I was wondering if the ashtray is actually a small calibre shell-case that's been cut down? Lot of war paraphernalia got turned into ornaments I believe.
I believe it may possibly be made from brass from some sort of shell casing - possibly from the shoulder or neck. It doesn’t have the heavy base with the hole for the primer or ring for the extractor. The inside is a smaller tapered section of something, with the hole covered by a coin soldered in place. Here is the bottom:
RWFQOHZ.jpg

I believe it may possibly be made from brass from some sort of shell casing - possibly from the shoulder or neck. It doesn’t have the heavy base with the hole for the primer or ring for the extractor. The inside is a smaller tapered section of something, with the hole covered by a coin soldered in place. Here is the bottom:
RWFQOHZ.jpg
Very interesting! I had a friend at school whose grandfather served aboard the Richelieu during WWII and had kept a 380 shell (15'). Too large for an ashtray (or for very big cigars :rolleyes:) they used it as the lower part of an umbrella stand.

Allumettes_Fr3.jpg

It is a violon (violin) made by Issard. :)
Thanks! it's ridiculous just how much knife you get for your buck from the French makers right? That looks like the best picnic folding knife I've ever seen. One day I'd love a trip to Theirs.

Back