LETS POST PICS..

https://picsart.com/i/323525643278201

I think its a good idea to post a ton of pics.. keep the positivity going in tough times. Lets all post a favourite khuk.
Here is my 18.5AK

Last edited:
I can see the link you posted. It should also be possible for you to upload files directly using buttons at the bottom of the posting window. Unless that requires special permissions, but it’s worth looking. The forum software and settings change frequently and I’m often behind the times.

in the spirit of this thread, here is a picture. Not shiny hi-res. Recently sent to me by a friend of a couple of knives I gave to her more than a quarter century ago. I had forgotten about them. One is an HI khukuri. She thought it might be time for them to be sharpened, so I stopped by to sharpen them up. (That was before lockdown.)

75C05069-C337-4BAE-8732-73977D5516A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Asking about your favorite Khuk is sometimes like asking which child you like best, kind of tough.
Here's two of my favorites a Trisuli Gaule (sp) and the worlds bestest Curved Spine by Thamar.

But I got one or two other favorites too.

Good idea you got here, things need to liven up a bit.

Asking about your favorite Khuk is sometimes like asking which child you like best, kind of tough.
Here's two of my favorites a Trisuli Gaule (sp) and the worlds bestest Curved Spine by Thamar.

But I got one or two other favorites too.

Good idea you got here, things need to liven up a bit.

Very nice!!!

I can see the link you posted. It should also be possible for you to upload files directly using buttons at the bottom of the posting window. Unless that requires special permissions, but it’s worth looking. The forum software and settings change frequently and I’m often behind the times.

in the spirit of this thread, here is a picture. Not shiny hi-res. Recently sent to me by a friend of a couple of knives I gave to her more than a quarter century ago. I had forgotten about them. One is an HI khukuri. She thought it might be time for them to be sharpened, so I stopped by to sharpen them up. (That was before lockdown.)

View attachment 1314069

Isn't that one on the right called a sow belly or something like that. Those always appealed to me for some reason. That looks like a really nice one, not like most of the commercially produced ones we usually see.

Isn't that one on the right called a sow belly or something like that. Those always appealed to me for some reason. That looks like a really nice one, not like most of the commercially produced ones we usually see.

That’s an old Grohmann #1/D.H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife. Many companies have produced knives of that design over the years. Herters did, a number of smaller brands, and I believe Cold Steel is still making one. It is a good design. I was able to persuade HI to give that design a shot and the kamis produced an excellent hand forged version. It was disappointing to me when it was offered on Bladeforums a few years back and caused a ruckus among some members because the kamis were “stealing” a western design. Can’t remember ever hearing a peep on Bladeforums about the numerous western firms that have produced similar designs.

The Cold Steel was the one I was thinking of, while a nice enough knife it doesn't sing like the one in your photo. I knew is was something Canadian, now I seem to recall it being called a Roach Belly? No matter it's nice and I'll probably never find one like it so guess I'll move on.

One of my earliest HI blades is still a favorite. Elegant and utilitarian. A 15.5" OAL, 16oz villager Chitlangi by Lokendra, with steel bolster and buttcap:

Chitlangi15.5in-Villager-Lokendra16oz-for-Dave-01cr.jpg

For sheer beauty these two are top of the list:

17" OAL, 30 oz YCS by Bura, gorgeously engraved on both sides, handle, karda and chakma. 18" OAL, 30 oz Smatchet by Sher.

YCS-17in-Bura30oz-engraved-03.jpg YCS-17in-Bura30oz-engraved-09.jpg Smatchet18-Sher30oz-for-Dave-06cr.jpg

I have several blades that are beasts, but this stands out above the rest. 20" OAL, 35 oz Bolo Knife by Sher. The spine is a full 1/2" thick for the length of the blade. Deep, wide fullers keep the weight down to a "mere" 35 oz, but in terms of strength this is a much heavier knife. The picture doesn't do it justice.

BoloKnife20-Sher35-09cr.jpg

Last edited:

One of my earliest HI blades is still a favorite. Elegant and utilitarian. A 15.5" OAL, 16oz villager Chitlangi by Lokendra, with steel bolster and buttcap:

View attachment 1314358

17" OAL, 30 oz YCS by Bura, gorgeously engraved on both sides, handle, karda and chakma. 18" OAL, 30 oz Smatchet by Sher.

View attachment 1314360 View attachment 1314362 View attachment 1314363

I have several blades that are beasts, but this stands out above the rest. 20" OAL, 35 oz Bolo Knife by Sher. The spine is a full 1/2" thick for the length of the blade. Deep, wide fullers keep the weight down to a "mere" 35 oz, but in terms of strength this is a much heavier knife. The picture doesn't do it justice.

View attachment 1314374
You have a beautiful blade there!!!

YES HE DOES. And that sheath rocks it even more. That sings.

Now I can come back and look at this picture whenever I'm feeling blue. That sings.

Last edited:
Pugs: Nice knives. For our viewers who might not know, please remind everybody who made those sheaths.

That Hasiya Sheath is wicked cool, love the heck out of that one. All way cool.

Lol thanks Joe, I thought it might put a smile on your face.
David thank you as well, Ole Pugs made em. The Hasiya was one of the first that I carved, boy it was nerve wracking and did it with a traditional frog, was alot of work.

View attachment 1314358

View attachment 1314360 View attachment 1314362 View attachment 1314363

View attachment 1314374
David, that YCS is absolutely gorgeous! I’ve got 3 but none engraved

Back