Lets see opinels - Pic Thread

For those of you that also surf bcusa I started this thread there, but I'm just about the only person posting in it so I figured Id duplicate it here.

I'm sure there have gotta be at least a few opinel collectors here.

Here is my collection, have a little bit of everything in it so far, adding more as I come across them. My favorites are the olive wood, beautiful wood and can't beat the price. I'm hoping to add some horn tips, bugingas and aluminum handle to my collection soon. Lets see yours. :)

opinelcollectionupdated.jpg

I only have a little #7 carbon with the thin tail.

Nifty little slicer.

I want to get a bigger and maybe an ebony or such.

Last edited:
Bigfatty, I like the slimline opies. They look like theyd make great slicers. The only one I have is in ebony though so I haven't used it. I'd like to pick up one in walnut for a user.

Only users I have ATM is a SS, walnut number 8 and the folding saw.

ETA: Pic of the number 8 slimline ebony. IMO this is one gorgeous knife, and in comparison to my inlaid sebenza the opinel is a big chunk of ebony for the price.

slimebony.jpg

ETA yet again: While the olive wood is my favorite wood I believe the Hermione frigate knife to be my favorite. It has some history. Apparently the Hermione was a French frigate that aided in our revolutionary war then ultimately sank. They are rebuilding the ship and these knives are being made from the scrap oak from the ship rebuilding. The knife has decent looking graphics on it and comes with a little pamphlet with a quick run down on the history of the frigate. I thought it was a neat story and never heard about it until I started collecting opinels. I believe the writing on the handle translates to "The frigate of freedom"

And another pic. lol
opinelebonyhermione.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the slim one! Gonna have to pick one up. I agree that the horn tips are beautiful, I wish they weren't so friggin expensive.
Here is my #8.

Sonnemann, expensive but I bet they'd be worth every penny. The blonde horn is absolutely gorgeous.

I like what you have done with your number 8, I would like to pick up a few standard beechwoods and try my hand at carving and wood burning.

mine has the normal sized blade, and slim handle, not the slim blade.

I looked, and am not sure I have a pic of the blade profile.

Thanks. I have just gotten an olivewood slim #8 thanks to your thread :eek:

Excellent. :thumbup:

Bigfatty, would like to see some pics if you can dig some up.

Where else can ya find such nice wood on a knife for ~18 bucks each.

ETA: My number 8 in olive, the number 6 has a marble look to it. Can't seem to find a pic of it though.
olivewood8.jpg

Last edited:
Snapped a quick pick, before off to bed!

The flash makes it look like rust at the base of the blade, in normal light, it is just a dark metallic patina.

For comparison of size, the same GEC #73 Scout, and grandad Barlow from S&M.

The Opinel is very easy to open, lock, unlock, and close one handed!

Definatly one of my favorite brands! :D

My #8 Inox, my #7 Carbone was gifted to a friend but I kept my favorite ;)

Reactions: vba
Here are a couple of mods I did at Christmas that I have posted before. A #8 with Moose antler handle and a #6 turned into a fixed blade for my fire starting kit.

Best regards

Robin

8318509837_55fea9d01f.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8329256253_03ee072c31.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here are a couple of mods I did at Christmas that I have posted before. A #8 with Moose antler handle and a #6 turned into a fixed blade for my fire starting kit.

Best regards

Robin

8318509837_55fea9d01f.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8329256253_03ee072c31.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I love what you did on both of them but the moose antler in particular. That lanyard also looks fantastic!

Great thread OP!

Very nice collection machine26. I have three, all carbon. A number 4,6 and 8. Of the three I typically carry the 6 because in my opinon it's about perfect. It's also super sharp as many of them are. The 8 stays in the kitchen and gets used there most days. The newest addition and little guy usually serves as a secondary blade or as a letter opener at home.

I originally bought the 6 to see what the hype was about and to experiment with forced patinas. I soon realized how great these knives are and ordered another. I plan to try a stainless number 7 next. Thanks for sharing.

The pics:

I forced a patina with white vinegar on the 4.
D9F9051F-8F0B-482E-BAD5-097553596208-893-0000004E385FCB35.jpg

The 6 also has a forced patina. It's a combo of mustard and hot sauce.
EAF72C74-26BD-4B51-BB5D-A4CE2F518CBA-470-0000002E78437989.jpg

Last is the 8 with all natural patina mostly from apples and strawberries.
null-5.jpg

Last edited:
Pipeman, those mods look great, especially turning one into a fixed blade.

Pinnah, I like the top most opie, which wood and what color dye did you use? Looks like bubinga wood.

Badexample, Thanks bud, it's a growing collection, always keeping my eyes peeled for good deals on oddities and premium woods to add to it. Those 3 you have serve you well I'm sure.

pertinux, I really like the overall style of the garden knife, I plan on picking up a couple of those soon.

I've a #8 Garden knife inbound now, it'd be great to get one with Ebony though that looks very nice!
G2

Back