Lets see some Hinderer action

Hmm I was just wondering about something. The XM series is on gen 6 now and has had some major improvements over the years. Now that we have the tri-way pivot and endless possibilities for customisation, will there ever be a gen 7?

I remember when members were saying the 4th gen is the bee's knees, and that they would probably stay that way for a long time.

I imagine as long as Rick stays in business there will always be changes and or improvements ... so I would guess yes ...

along with new knives like the Half Tracks and Full Tracks.

The generation 6 Hinderer’s are the best ones to exit Ohio. I am a huge fan (I own 8 of Ricks knives) but there are still some things that I’d like to see change in future models. I am not a fan of the proprietary pivot and $75 for a tool is ridiculous. I wish the female scale screw was not free spinning and I would like to see the blades a little thinner behind the edge. Just a few minor gripes

The generation 6 Hinderer’s are the best ones to exit Ohio. I am a huge fan (I own 8 of Ricks knives) but there are still some things that I’d like to see change in future models. I am not a fan of the proprietary pivot and $75 for a tool is ridiculous. I wish the female scale screw was not free spinning and I would like to see the blades a little thinner behind the edge. Just a few minor gripes

It's funny that the knife that encourages disassembly more than any other requires 5 different tools! Meanwhile in Sebenza land...

Hmm I was just wondering about something. The XM series is on gen 6 now and has had some major improvements over the years. Now that we have the tri-way pivot and endless possibilities for customisation, will there ever be a gen 7?

I remember when members were saying the 4th gen is the bee's knees, and that they would probably stay that way for a long time.

Well, the 4th gen did stick around for a long time, according to the sticky in the RHK forum archive they were introduced in 2011. I'd expect the gen 6 to last longer than that.

I'm honestly not sure what improvements can be made to the XM-18 without making it a different knife. The only obvious changes I could think of is changing the pivot to a captive pivot like on the Fulltrack and changing the flipper tab profile, and I doubt either of those will actually happen.

V9SVMzM.jpg

Another day, another Hinderer :)

Got this SW DLC Swedge today and swapped some black hardware. Absolutely love the Swedge grind in 3.5. Thanks DLT!

I cannot express and agree more with the others how awesome the DLC finish is. As much as I try to get it in pictures, they just don't do it justice.
Sorry about all the pics!

zEnmRaY.jpg

oZLBLLU.jpg

BBGDFLl.jpg

KiVVR3U.jpg

wDd1fb9.jpg

lZOM3Y4.jpg

OWeQzj2.jpg

In different light:
A4Tah3u.jpg

JO65RLE.jpg

Last edited:
Question for y’all, I need to order the hardware kit for the 3” xm-18 for the 3.5” skinny version correct?

I think there’s more to it than that. In fact I’ve heard of custom grinding of standoffs n screws..

According to Monkey:
“If you are looking to get some new parts to swap out to customize the Skinny, the part break down is:

• Skinny Pivot Screw = B-2 Pivot Screw
  • Skinny Scale Screws = A-10 Scale Screws
  • Skinny Standoffs = Skinny Unique, coming soon
  • Skinny Handle Nuts = Skinny Unique, coming soon
  • Scale - Skinny Unique, coming soon”

I think there’s more to it than that. In fact I’ve heard of custom grinding of standoffs n screws..

According to Monkey:
“If you are looking to get some new parts to swap out to customize the Skinny, the part break down is:

• Skinny Pivot Screw = B-2 Pivot Screw
  • Skinny Scale Screws = A-10 Scale Screws
  • Skinny Standoffs = Skinny Unique, coming soon
  • Skinny Handle Nuts = Skinny Unique, coming soon
  • Scale - Skinny Unique, coming soon”
Thanks! I knew I saw that list somewhere but couldn’t remember where I saw it! I’ll do some investigating.

Edit- so it appears the pivot screw on the 3” is a B-2 and the scale screws on a 3.5” are A-10s....as far as skinny standoffs I found some copper ones but no skinny specific handle nuts. I may have to wait and see if the ranch makes a skinny specific kit..

Reactions: KVT
Anyone own a firetac? I have seen a few reviews on them but not that many. They look fantastic but at the same time they don't seem very popular. I don't know if I want one or if I want a thick beefier xm 18

I talked to a guy who’s had almost every Hinderer model made including tons of XMs and he has sold off every one and solely uses the Firetacs now. Guess he really, really likes em?
I have zero experience with them - not really a thumb disc guy myself.
I imagine they’ll be getting the Tri-way treatment soon.

I talked to a guy who’s had almost every Hinderer model made including tons of XMs and he has sold off every one and solely uses the Firetacs now. Guess he really, really likes em?
I have zero experience with them - not really a thumb disc guy myself.
I imagine they’ll be getting the Tri-way treatment soon.

I've handled a few firetac. It's a decent light duty alternative for a Hinderer. Light weight and slim.

It's does not feel as solid as a Sebenza but is just about in the same class for size and cutting ability. But when it comes to price I feel it's a bit too expensive.

It does not scream quality to me like the rest of RHK. It feels more like a Kershaw Emerson in the hand.

I've handled a few firetac. It's a decent light duty alternative for a Hinderer. Light weight and slim.

It's does not feel as solid as a Sebenza but is just about in the same class for size and cutting ability. But when it comes to price I feel it's a bit too expensive.

It does not scream quality to me like the rest of RHK. It feels more like a Kershaw Emerson in the hand.
hmm see I want something that feels really solid but is slim still. Maybe I will wait for the next non-flipper xm 18s

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 3" XM-18 slicer, but can't decide on choil or no choil?

What are your preferences and why? I've never handled a Hinderer, closest has been my ZT 0562's.

I can't even imagine what a "Gen 7" XM-18 would entail.

The new Tri-Way is......Gen 3? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) on the XM-24 though and can think of one thing that would be nice to make into a gen 4 and that is the stop pin location.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 3" XM-18 slicer, but can't decide on choil or no choil?

What are your preferences and why? I've never handled a Hinderer, closest has been my ZT 0562's.

I don't have any 3" xm-18s so I cannot comment on them. I do have choiled and choil-less 3.5" xm-18s and I love both. It is largely a personal preference I guess. With that being said, if I were to buy a 3", I'd pick one without a choil because the blade itself is already very short (well, to my standard).

I can't even imagine what a "Gen 7" XM-18 would entail.

The new Tri-Way is......Gen 3? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) on the XM-24 though and can think of one thing that would be nice to make into a gen 4 and that is the stop pin location.
The XM-18's with the Tri-Way pivot and steel lockbar insert is the 6th generation.

The XM-18's with the Tri-Way pivot and steel lockbar insert is the 6th generation.

WOW, that is brand new information!

Hint: Read again, and remember the XM-24 is on a different "generation" status then the -18.

Back