Lets see some Hinderer action

You could piece a set together.
A 3” black pivot screw would work.
They sell black standoffs for the Jurassic.
That’s the same standoff size as eklipse, Mp-1 & halftrack. I saw this at monkeys edge.
Monkeys edge will also list what other models use the same hardware.
DLT trading as a listing for Eklipse black body screws
(same as halftrack screws).
I think it is possible.

NICE. Thanks.

QBA1SqK.jpg

Are those just smudges and other gunk on the coating? Have you had any real scratches yet?
I'm seriously thinking my next Hinderer will be stonewash DLC, maybe when the harpoon spantos eventually drop.

Are those just smudges and other gunk on the coating? Have you had any real scratches yet?
I'm seriously thinking my next Hinderer will be stonewash DLC, maybe when the harpoon spantos eventually drop.
It’s just gunk. Cleans up pretty well with some elbow grease. It’s got a small scratch but because I scraped it on some metal.

Very happy. My first Hinderer. I like how slim it is.The thumb disc as opposed to flipper, washers over bearings and standard hardware, put it over the top for me..
Thanks for your thoughts. I have been eyeing them for a while.
Just cant decide to pull the plug or hold out for a Xm18 non flipper.
I havent owned a hinderer and so like you this will be my first.

Although its slim, is it built to tolerate harder use or is it on the light use, slicer side of things?

Although its slim, is it built to tolerate harder use or is it on the light use, slicer side of things?

This is a tough folder, for sure. In my opinion, washers over bearings is tougher. I have the Spanto but even the drop point has a plenty tough tip and more than adequate blade stock..and the grinds are proven/classic worker.

I prefer disc to flipper, washers to bearings..to me that says tougher/better in feild..Simple hardware, 3.6" blade, full size knife, great build/fit finish..@ 4.1 oz in a Ti frame lock..light/easy carry..

High speed/low drag, as they say...compared to an XM, a great knife to be sure, but..this one is more my prefered..

The build is great and I'm officially a fan..looking for my next..Keyman has been killing me w/ those Dauntless pics...considering one of those next.

The firetac is medium duty . Feels less solid than a Sebenza imo. And far less solid than a Non flip Spanto or any Gen 4 XM.

If I were into a Fire tac. I'd take a CRK 21 or Inkosi instead. That's just me.

For the next level if stabbing , prying and cutting toughness. See below.

IMG_20190410_173008~2.jpg

I've had the 21, large and small both. And the inkosi..Lrg and small. As well as an Umnumzaan..Great knives..lacking in great steel.

Firetac is as tough as all the ubove. I think the G-10 slab and lightness throw some. Two thick slabs of Ti can definitely make a knife feel more solid.

I don't think the Firetac would fair poorly in a stabbing contest, not against an XM w/ thicker blade stock, anyway..Speculation on my part as I've never owned an XM

Cutting toughness, from what I've read, is all about geometry/heat treat/steel type..stock thickness being lower on the list... from what I've read..

I suppose if prying were a high priority for my folding knife..I would consider an XM or similar spec ed folder over the Firetac. I have some Busse I'd dig out for that stuff anyway..

I love Hinderer's slicer grind and am interested in that skinny..not sure if it comes in a non flipper.

Great looking XM, BellaBlades BellaBlades ..love the non flipper and choil. Bronze hardware w/ the coyote scale..So nice. And that bead is cool..glass?

Beautiful edge on that as well..nice and toothy ;)

Not much prying or stabbing going on w/ that one, aye? Certainly looks capable though..great pic :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Icky Thump Icky Thump

All good points as well. No . Not too much prying going on lol. Just utility based applications that a thinner tip would not be used for. We're still in the honey moon phase so I'm still behaving.

I find the 3.5 XM blade to be a great compromise between stock thickness vs cutting ability and tip strength. Like you said stock thickness means nothing if it won't cut.

The more I think about now. I'd be open to try a firetaco down the line.

I agree that CRK does fall short in steel options. If they would offer an Inkosi with upgraded steel it would be another level.

I really enjoy S35VN . But I like M390 and 20CV even more. I also like washers and don't care for bearings. So I have to deal with that now too.

Yeah I really like that toothy edge as well ;)
It came with a poor 22dps from factory . It now performes as a knife should @ about 19-20dps

Last edited:
I agree, BellaBlades..

If CRK had different steel options I might still have a few. Considered an older BG42 or Damascus blade but, I've been put off the brand for various reasons..their seemingly softer than industry norm S30V and 35 is just one reason..

I like and appreciate the larger/thicker examples..very cool and certainly a legitimate place for them in the practical. The Firetac lends more to my taste/preferred style..and would definitely consider as hard use in my spectrum of use ..but, I believe would fall short in certain applications where and XM or similar build would fair better, for sure.

Really is a handsome XM you have there.

BellaBlades BellaBlades

Very cool bead, for sure. I like that there seems to be a steel/metal insert in the bead..and the length of the lanyard is perfect..

Ive just ordered a bunch of accessories for the Firetac..Ill be looking at lanyards/beads in the near future..

Thanks for the pics and info! :)

I’ve been toying with the idea of a bead/lanyard for my new xm-18. Where’s a good place to buy beads? Iv been looking on eBay and Etsy.

I’ve been toying with the idea of a bead/lanyard for my new xm-18. Where’s a good place to buy beads? Iv been looking on eBay and Etsy.

eBay is great and Bladehq has a wide variety as well.

The bead above I actually borrowed off an old necklace my daughter made at a craft party .

Part if the reason I use this bead besides looking good is the fact it won't scratch up the knife.

Icky Thump Icky Thump

There is some kind of stainless it sterling silver tube in the center. I have a vast array of extras . Clear light purple and brown versions like mine as well as solid colors.

Back