Let's see some knives made from repurposed materials

This is the second knife I made (I'm only to 6 or 7 total). It's a higonokami made from a copper water pipe, file, and brass rod. I knew going into this idea that the steel may not properly harden by heating past non-magnetic, holding and quenching and it most certainly did not. I also knew that my father would proudly display it on a shelf next to his other nic-nacs and not care or even know.

N0OjYh3.jpg

Here's what I did with the leftover pipe and some 2ga wire.
5yTl2NW.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, these aren't knives...yet?

These two busticated wrenches were included with a bunch of old hand tools I bought. I was thinking of trying the knifewrench idea with them since they were already broken, just for fun/experience. Unfortunately, they don't have that nice box end to them, is worth the effort to knife-ify them?

I think the top one may be Chrome-Moly but I'm not sure....:rolleyes:

44944017394_68af92f92b.jpg

30728285347_4c4f0bb60f.jpg

44944029784_6779a38584.jpg

Any other suggestions for them?

Last edited:
Paul, checked my other sq file....no name brand. I've found the old ones will cooperate with clay quenching...they behave similar to w1.

TL

Paul, checked my other sq file....no name brand. I've found the old ones will cooperate with clay quenching...they behave similar to w1.

TL

Thanks, Tad, I appreciate ya checking. I remember quite a few years back when I first got into knife making (and was on a serious hunt for any old/used files) how 'worried' I was about only using brand name files that were old and/or USA-made, out of fear for anything else possibly being case hardened. I've come to find that pretty much every file that I've ever spark tested has been some sort of high carbon steel, whether it was new or old, well known brands little known brands or no markings at all. Even the cheap Harbor Freight files from India that I've tested have been decent, at least with regard to their carbon content. When I spark tested I'd always check the surface, the core, the tang, and even quench/break test the end of the tang, and I honestly can't say I've ever found a mild steel/case-hardened file.

Anyway, I just thought that was interesting after reading about the need to check to make sure one wasn't using a case hardened file, or at least that's the impression I was left with. I still have small pile of files that need some forging, one of them is a huge Disston waiting to be forged into something cool. Unfortunately I have a few others from when I first started that are ruined due to me throwing them in a camp fire overnight to anneal :rolleyes:
They got a bit too hot and without anything to protect the surface from oxygen.

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

A good customer approached me a couple years back to repurpose a railcar spring into some heirlooms for him and his father to celebrate his fathers retirement from Illinois Central.

Spring was I think between the cars or something (seemed rather small...), but was told it indeed came from a railcar at his work.

Made a liner lock, straight razor and little kitchen knife from the entire spring. Was a lot more work than anticipated...

nnsem7J.jpg

3SufaAU.jpg

Es5fi3a.jpg

F8H2EfA.jpg

N8mRCNR.jpg

rZk2vDl.jpg

P9XRxNU.jpg

9iLMISN.jpg

Chronicled the entire build here if interested in more detailed photos and steps

Jack Daniel's barrel hoops for the damascus on these two:

I've been working with both Jack Daniel and Jim Beam to do kitchen knives and some other stuff for the two companies. Of different degrees. This is one of the versions of Jack Daniel's kitchen knives that is 100% their material and quenched in Jack as well. I always love adding a little danger to my work!

aannnnnnddddd some chains! That I will have to remake since I sucked it up on them. lol! :D Ah well. There is at least one design in these that I will keep, which is the knife. The others I have redesigned and will be working on soon. :)

Chain Axe! Or something~

Chain cleaver!!

Chain knife? Sure. Why not?!

Pay no attention to how terrible that axe would feel when you hit something. ;)

Science! :D

I've been working with both Jack Daniel and Jim Beam to do kitchen knives and some other stuff for the two companies. Of different degrees. This is one of the versions of Jack Daniel's kitchen knives that is 100% their material and quenched in Jack as well. I always love adding a little danger to my work!

That is some impressive and very great-looking work, Logan. I appreciate you sharing (love that there was a Jack quench!). One question: When you say the kitchen knife was "entirely their materials," do you mean the blade as well? Was it barrel hoop cladding over a stainless core? Or some other source of steel?

aannnnnnddddd some chains! That I will have to remake since I sucked it up on them. lol! :D Ah well. There is at least one design in these that I will keep, which is the knife. The others I have redesigned and will be working on soon. :)

Chain Axe! Or something~

Chain cleaver!!

Chain knife? Sure. Why not?!

Pay no attention to how terrible that axe would feel when you hit something. ;)

Science! :D

Some incredible pieces here!!! Nice work all around.. Very cool...

Totally forgot this thread existed.

Re-upping one from 2019

hand-forged mini-bowie from an oceanographic vessel's rudder bearing (and cage):

IMG_20191013_145043-small.jpg

And a Carnegie Steel-era railroad spike found buried in the garden turned into The Botanist's new trowel:

IMG_20200422_221618-small.jpg

I bought this knife from Rik Palm maybe 15 years ago. The blade is made from his damascus and a railroad spike, handle is bone from a Steller's sea cow. Rik also made a pendant from the spike head that came with the knife. Very nice work that I still own.

Best regards,
Hans

99297128_86b0979cba_o.jpg

Back