Let's see some knives with a shackle/bail!

My particular Schrade Cut. Co. SSC114-3/4S "Fisherman's Pride" example is the only one I've seen with a bail.

lrzjFMK.png

2nXOg7A.png

I'm not a sailor, but I've heard that some sailors like knives with a bail (and an anchor and/or marlin spike).

- GT

Nice bunch of nautical knives! I hear some of those sailors were scrimshanders too.

I grabbed this knife for the Bill Feeney scrimshaw art. It's a 1980s, Parker or Frost, Japanese white bone knife. First Yachtsman-type knife I've owned.

I like this design where the bail also serves as a lock for the marlin spike. You hold it with your thumb and that spike isn't going anywhere when you have to dig into a knot. Really strong lock-up! It has a half-stop and you can lock it into this position as well. It's more of a display piece though with it's mirror-polished "Collector's Series" blade (that is not-at-all smooth when opening or closing). The spike is smooth and snappy.

6GNfif3.jpg

O6k3xAd.jpg

DPGeeyG.jpg

4vaJJ6Q.jpg

Ee2g1kO.jpg

cNTmoe1.jpg

I'm NOT a lineman for the county, and I DON'T ride the main road, searchin' in the sun for another overload. But I've heard that some linesmen and electricians like knives with a shackle and a locking screwdriver blade.
cedarville.mark.2open.dockpump.jpg
workman.mark.open.jpg
boker.tl29.open.jpg
electrician.mark.open.shelf.jpg
tl29.mark.2open.jpg
holub.2.jpg

- GT

Back