Lets see some M43's

Hey John,

I eventually did get one of the Pilot/Aircrew MKII's but was dissapointed. As I surmised, it is almost impossible to keep the balance and feel of the MKII when you change the dimensions that much. It doesn't really feel that bad from a balance standpoint but with a 4 inch handle and such a light weight it is difficult to use. I will post some more details after church.

M-43kukhuri001.jpg

In the pics it has a Terry Sisco/Sarki Shop "Sasquatch Special" frog and scabbard treatment.

That sheath is AWSOME!

Hey John,

I eventually did get one of the Pilot/Aircrew MKII's but was dissapointed. As I surmised, it is almost impossible to keep the balance and feel of the MKII when you change the dimensions that much. It doesn't really feel that bad from a balance standpoint but with a 4 inch handle and such a light weight it is difficult to use. I will post some more details after church.

Bill, Thanks for the input. I see what you're saying. If it was so good, they likely would have made more, which they obviously didn't. Maybe we could just set our sights on the reproduction of an authentic Mk II. Take care.

DSC03067.JPG

Here is the Pilot/Aircrew laying over the other MKII's. Don't get wrong, it is a very nice kukri and it is fairly well balanced. Its just that when I got it, I was hoping for that magic middle ground between the real MKII's and something that would be a bit easier to carry. I wanted something I could ship off to Nepal and have copied exactly and this did not fit the bill. But I think with a standard Jungle sized handle and a "little" thicker spine it might be a very nice compact MKII. Also keep in mind this is the only one I have ever handled so who knows if this is typical or not.

You can see that the temple guardian Siamese cat on the right is measuring out the blade and handle proportions with his/her paws and deeply contemplating how that big 3 pined handle affects performance and balance. I'm almost sure the back feet are motioning that the handle needs to be smaller while the cat's full attention seems to be focused on the fact that the blade, particularly around the belly, is too small. The cat is wondering if this will affect chopping power and transmit more vibration to the handle. Clearly, we should run any final design by this kindred spirited feline!

By contrast, the cat on the left is like a first time Khukuri House kukri owner and clearly doesn't get this subtlety and is thinking, wow it’s big and shiny! Cats!!!

While not an M-43 per se, my B-43 is a nice specimen of the breed with two exceptions. These being the handle ring, which is really nice, and the extra large cho. For those who were not here in the early winter, I'll explain this "B-43". Shaila Kami made several each of two very distinct types of khuks, both of which were labeled "Malla". One, my type, was very reminiscent of a Bhojpure khukuri with a chiruwa handle. The other was very much like a type of bolster-less khuk made around the WWII era. They both had extremely large chos. They didn't stir up much exitement on the forum. They were all around 18" and 36 or so ounces. Mine set lonely for a day or so at an incredible price and I couldn't take it anymore. When I received it, I discovered it was one of the best feeling khuks I'd handled, though a little heavy for my liking. It became obvious it was essentually a heavy duty, very curvy, ring-handle M-43, especially when compared to my current Tirtha M-43. If this khuk lost 10 ounces form it's current 36, it would likely be my hands down favorite. It feels that good in hand. It's very forward heavy, but hangs in the hand wonderfully due to its full curve. I thought I'd share it with y'all. I hope you enjoy the photos. Take care.

Tirtha M-43 on top, Shaila B-43 on bottom.
M-43andB-43001.jpg

M-43andB-43003.jpg

You can see that the temple guardian Siamese cat on the right is measuring out the blade and handle proportions with his/her paws and deeply contemplating how that big 3 pined handle affects performance and balance. I'm almost sure the back feet are motioning that the handle needs to be smaller while the cat's full attention seems to be focused on the fact that the blade, particularly around the belly, is too small. The cat is wondering if this will affect chopping power and transmit more vibration to the handle. Clearly, we should run any final design by this kindred spirited feline!

By contrast, the cat on the left is like a first time Khukuri House kukri owner and clearly doesn't get this subtlety and is thinking, wow it’s big and shiny! Cats!!!

Both cats approved of the M43, the white cat is a Burman the other Siamese they are my toughest critics when it comes to blades, if they don't like it I get rid of it :D. They love HI must be in their blood :)

Both cats... if they don't like it I get rid of it ... They love HI must be in their blood

Does anyone know of a similar event for cats as happens during Tihar's Kukur Puja - Worship of Dogs.

"(The) Dog, which is believed to be messenger of Lord Yamaraj, the god of death, is worshipped once a year on this day. People offer garland, teeka and delicious food to the animal, and acknowledge the cherished relationship between humans and the oldest ever tamed animal."

And thanks for the comparison between the blades, I believe you have a special one in the 'B-43' ! ;)

Thanks BC, the B-43 is special indeed. I have to think if Shaila would have put a regular sized cho and smaller ring on the handle (I reduced and rounded this ring), it would have been a highly desired khuk. It actually seems a more authentic M-43 than my current M-43. I'd like to see Shaila make an M-43 with a weight of less than 30 ounces. I think the final product might surprise us all. The archives show he made some M-43s years ago and they were well received.

As for cat worship, well, that reminds me of a sign I once saw. It said, and I paraphrase, "Dogs think they're human, cats know they're gods". My cats tolerate me for thier own benefit:). I was never a cat person, but ended up with a Katrina refugee (black and white), followed by an abandoned kitten (gray and white). They grow on you, and if a bug so much as crosses the threshold, they're on it! Take care.

Not an M43, B43 or a cat.....
But still a tacit approval from Noni Bear on my HI Ang Khola Khuk.:thumbup:

IMG_0946.jpg

Noni in her scout role, looking for some branches to chop.
62dc3592.jpg

maybe the mod should just delete this post.;)

Last edited:

Great comment by the way it's like you can read minds because if that cat could talk I am positive that is what she would be saying while the white cat on the other hand is like meh I've seen better. :)

Dog? I thought it was an Ewok! I was going to suggest a Bilton would be a better fit for it than the AK:).

More Noni pics in the Cantina. I made a thread just for us to show our pets, preferably with HI products in some of the pics.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Noni sized Bilton, would have to be a bone handle though, she's picky.....:D

More Noni pics in the Cantina. I made a thread just for us to show our pets, preferably with HI products in some of the pics.

For those who love their animal companions, markksr one of our older members started this long running thread for 'Doggy Pics' in the "Community Center"

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/483918-Doggy-Pics

Such a great thread should be revived with current members photo's IMO. :thumbup:

I'll keep my eyes open for a Noni sized Bilton, would have to be a bone handle though, she's picky.....:D

Honest, I really did LOL! :D

But my worry would be how much of the bone would be left intact after she lost interest in it, if one could ever loose interest in a HI product? :p

DSC02564.jpg
GWP: Hey is this straight?
Jack Russell: Yeah it looks good!

Dogs prefer a good village kuk! But if some of the cats would like to discuss it, come on over!

Here's my HI M43 - it's an older one and has been around a few forumites. Not with me at this very moment so cannot give you specs, suffice to say it's not too heavy and handles well. It's made by 'Amtrak' or 'RR' kami.

IMG_0573.jpg

... and here it is along with two of my WW2-era MK2s - for comparison's sake:

IMG_0575.jpg

Back