1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Let's see the "crowbars with a point"

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by WillB, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'd never use them for pryers, but these two might hold up pretty well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

skyhorse, knoefz, WillB and 1 other person like this.
  2. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    +1 for Cold Steel. Used the GI Tanto to pry open all the painted shut windows in the apartment I moved into a few years back.

jux t and DocJD like this.
  3. PNWhovian

PNWhovian

Jan 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

knoefz, hugofeynman and Dadpool like this.
  4. WillB

WillB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    It contain Makers Mark on that trip I recall.

To be honest, I don't consider folders to fit in this category when a inexpensive fixed blade will take abuse no "over built" folder would tolerate. Folders are like pistols, they exist for their convenience and mobility and such (also debatable, but another topic for another day...) but if one has a choice, they always take a long gun over a pistol or a fixed blade over a folder.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. :cool:

Daedric Panther and Stelth like this.
  5. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    Very pretty, not sure I'd wanna do a lot chopping, prying, etc with it however.

6. James Usher

James Usher

May 3, 2019
    heavy duty!! (Y)

7. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    I don't have any large or expensive 'sharpened pry bars', but this little CRKT Stiff KISS does a pretty good job for it's size!

(oh, and by the way, don't go into the hard use EDC thread, they'd be apauld that you might be capable of prying with a knife :rolleyes:)

[​IMG]

User27 likes this.
  8. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    Actually some are misreading the thread. I'm not recommending people use such knives for prying, more that others refer to them as a pry bar with a point. Unless it's an emergency, prying not recommended.

9. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    ;)

10. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Heh, what? That's a CPK, it would most likely stand up to abuse that some of the other knives posted in this thread couldn't. Just saying, broseph.

11. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    Just looking at the long thin-ish design made me think chopping, prying, etc was not it's design strength, but vid suggests otherwise but at 3:19 of vid, he also expressly says "not a sharpened pry bar..." but to be sure, it will outlast some others posted in this thread.

Well hey, I stand correctifeid, but see what he says at 3;19? I'm not a blade geometry/design expert by any means, but that strikes me as more fighter than intended as hard use utility field knife per se. For that, their HDFK seems the way to go:

http://www.carothersknives.com/heavy-duty-field-knife-hdfk/

- SpyderMan - and Quiet like this.
  12. Tim.E

Tim.E Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 7, 2019
    [​IMG]

13. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    That's more a chisel/scraper, although it would pry a bit.
    Makes a decent shop knife.
    I met a knife-maker who had that exact model of knife in his shop as one of his shop knives. :)

WillB likes this.
  14. PNWhovian

PNWhovian

Jan 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

rpn likes this.
  15. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
  16. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    Interesting! I'd like to see the profile of the bottom one. Almost looks like a bayonet .25 thick?

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  17. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    No pics at the moment, but my sharpened crowbars are Dawsons. My Carbon V SRK is another. I had a Carbon V Trailmaster long ago I never should have let go that would also have fit the bill.

I'll get some pics and measurements up later.

Zieg

WillB and DocJD like this.
  18. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    What are these?

Zieg

19. JD Miller

JD Miller

Jun 30, 2015
    steff27, Quiet, jux t and 6 others like this.