Photos Kepharts...They just Work

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
Custom or production. I just love the Kephart design and I'd love to see what's out there.
My first here is a custom. Sorry for the weak picture. She's back having the slab thinned a tad as she was rear-heavy. I post a pic of her when I get her back.
This baby is 3V with a FFG.

uc

uc

qIXicUN.jpg

I found this one on Etsy. It's a full flat grind in 1095 made by Craig Montgomery in SC.
MC - I don't know anything of the maker, but I'm sure ol Horace would be proud.
I know I'd be proud to own her.

I only have the Condor version. The new Becker BK-62 is on order. I like the Kephart design. I was taken by the improved Bark River design with the guard. Was going to get it except as I recall it was 4" more or less and I have a lot of 4" knives already. So, I passed. The Kephart that I wanted was a 5" and that is being fulfilled with the Becker.

I only have the Condor version. The new Becker BK-62 is on order. I like the Kephart design. I was taken by the improved Bark River design with the guard. Was going to get it except as I recall it was 4" more or less and I have a lot of 4" knives already. So, I passed. The Kephart that I wanted was a 5" and that is being fulfilled with the Becker.
Rimfire, I know what you mean about having a lot of 4" knives. I used to pretty much be a one in, one out kind of guy. Until I found the Kephart style. Funny how things happen. I was never infatuated with a design in a bushcraft-type knife. I still have a few others in that size that are giving me that scared look. :eek:
I love the simplistic design. I'm not a fancy guy. Heck shoot-fire, I'm a hillbilly from WV. I wear camo everywhere.

WV, one of the few states where you can wear a real tree shirt and mossyoak pants and people don't think you're crazy.

I'm going to read a lot of the Horace books and articles this winter.

Uncle Timbo, I have read a couple of the Horace Kephart books and keep going back to Camping & Woodcraft to browse. I seldom read a book like that cover to cover. I particularly enjoy the descriptions of "how it was" in the early 1900's in a fairly remote place along the edge of the present Great Smoky Mt NP. There was no electricity in rural areas. Things didn't really change until the horseless carriage appeared and mostly wealthier people would have them until the Model T came out. Life in that area probably hadn't changed at all since the civil war.

I think when Kephart saw all the logging going on is when he decided to support the national park thing. The early 1900's (late 1800's) is when all the clear cut logging was going on and by the early 1900's it had made it's way south from New England area into the Blue Ridge. Growing up in PA, the state purchased a lot of old timbered off land and made them into state game lands in the early 1900's. That was quite a good investment for them!

The Kephart knife is meant to be a daily user rather than some brut knife. Use would be for everything from woodcraft to kitchen duty to skinning and dressing animals. Depending on where you are in WV, it could be used similarly. I used to live in Eastern KY and have an appreciation for the ruggedness of the WV mountains.

I am looking forward to my Becker Kephart, I guess in January. I ordered and missed the first cut. Decided to just go with the flow and wait until the next batch are released by Kabar. The Becker Kephart is precisely what I have been looking for.... simple knife, 1095, no painted blade, walnut handle, and simple leather sheath.

I know Kephart wrote for magazines but I have never seen any kind of reproduction or collection of those articles. I would love to see such.

Last edited:
Uncle Timbo , who makes the one in your first post ?'
Sure looks nice. I've been searching for a 4 1/2"-5" Kep with micarta handles for a while
that has a handle close to the original.

The Becker 62 would be perfect for me, except it has wood handles which I generally avoid.
Had it came with micarta or G-10 , I'd order a few for sure.

Considering the BR at the moment , but they are expensive.

I bought the one above to see if I liked the general configuration just before the BK62s appeared on the market. Meanwhile, I have a custom on order from a guy Ethan recommended. There aren't many smiths who are doing a double convex grind like the original. A cross section of the correct forging looks like a spitzer bullet.

Uncle Timbo , who makes the one in your first post ?'
Sure looks nice. I've been searching for a 4 1/2"-5" Kep with micarta handles for a while
that has a handle close to the original.

I'd contact knifemaker Bill Siegle here on the forum as he has made a couple recently off of the original pattern. I believe one of them had Micarta handles on it. I'm thinking about getting one from him eventually.

Back