Photos Kepharts...They just Work

I just can't do food prep as easily with a longer blade. Never could. Maybe I sacrifice a tad in other areas but for me the shorter blade just works.
But if I'm camping out of my vehicle I have a whole slew of tools to help me out.
InfiRatweiler.
Granfors Bruk Wildlife Axe
Martindale Golock
Larger Axe I inherited from my Dad
Brush Axe (I have GOT to get y'all a pic of this one)
These are all fun to use. The Kephart? I look at it as a potential lifesaver. I won't be carrying an Axe when I'm on a hike.

Interesting, I'm the opposite. I really like a big knife for food prep and often use the knife life a spatula for moving food around. I do like a low, pointy tip but I can do pretty well with a santoku style kitchen knife too. My main kitchen knife at home is nearly a wharncliffe so something like a big Kephart with a lot of flat edge feels right at home.

wTGfBrgl.jpg

That knife would work for me. The majority of my kitchen use is done with a smaller blade except for chopping which is not a real common activity in my kitchen. I seldom mix kitchen and other uses for knives. So, the Becker Kephart will not likely be used in the my kitchen short of a special use kind of thing. There are kitchen knives and there are all the others.

I have used my Condor Kephart as a steak knife however. Like I said before, the edge needs thinned down and I haven't gotten around to do that. It is not a slicer as it is currently.

Last edited:
The Esse PR 4 is pretty high on my list right now. I am not a fan of wood handles , so it makes it a good candidate.
Pretty much any knife I've had with wood handles had some sort of problem down the road ( need to oil it, cracking, shrinking, chipping , etc.)
Much prefer a 5" blade over a 4 though. The handle shape is a bit of a deviation , and pics I've seen show it to be kind of thin.
Sure looks like a solid knife , but I'm doubting the handle. If the BK-62 had micarta or G-1o , It would be a no-brainer.

Dang onekerf, she shore is shiny. What kind of steel?

Not sure; probably 01, or 5160. I've contacted the maker to try and find out because I posted it for sale. Might help the sale if I can accurately state which steel that he used.

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm the opposite. I really like a big knife for food prep and often use the knife life a spatula for moving food around. I do like a low, pointy tip but I can do pretty well with a santoku style kitchen knife too. My main kitchen knife at home is nearly a wharncliffe so something like a big Kephart with a lot of flat edge feels right at home.

wTGfBrgl.jpg
When I said that, I was meaning a one and done knife. One knife for everything. I know most here doesn't believe that knife exists, but isn't that what Horace had in mind when designing this knife?

When I said that, I was meaning a one and done knife. One knife for everything. I know most here doesn't believe that knife exists, but isn't that what Horace had in mind when designing this knife?

Kind of, I thought he still had the nessmuk trio kind of thing right? A folder and axe along with the main companion sized knife? I haven't read the book as my reading is focused on other things, but eventually I hope to get to it.

PS: Ordered a genesis from the LT Wright vault release from this weekend. FFG A2 with double red canvas micarta. Should be a nice "everything" knife that looks stellar too. I almost snagged the blue bushcrafter HC as I really like the handle but for the asking price, I'll upgrade to A2, longer blade, a little nicer construction overall. Heck of a value on the HC knives though... I may go back and get it anyway at the end of the week.

Kind of, I thought he still had the nessmuk trio kind of thing right? A folder and axe along with the main companion sized knife? I haven't read the book as my reading is focused on other things, but eventually I hope to get to it.

PS: Ordered a genesis from the LT Wright vault release from this weekend. FFG A2 with double red canvas micarta. Should be a nice "everything" knife that looks stellar too. I almost snagged the blue bushcrafter HC as I really like the handle but for the asking price, I'll upgrade to A2, longer blade, a little nicer construction overall. Heck of a value on the HC knives though... I may go back and get it anyway at the end of the week.
Out of curiosity, what was the difference between vault offerings and typical production models? Different scales?

Out of curiosity, what was the difference between vault offerings and typical production models? Different scales?

Mostly. Combinations that aren't generally offered through their site or through dealers. There was a lot of really nice looking stuff there.

The prices are a touch under what I've seen on other websites, given the combinations. Like, $10 less, so not a big savings but some really cool and neat looking options.

Very nice BE. What? They were all out of orange?

Very nice BE. What? They were all out of orange?

They didn't have a genesis in orange. They did have a few in tigerstripe G10 in models I didn't want and almost went for them any but I at least showed some restraint. The double red looks pretty hot, in a more subtle way, in the photos of other models I was able to pull.

There was a genesis with burlap and a saber in AEB-L that was also pretty handsome but the FFG is what I really wanted and LT does A2 right (or has peters do it right, not sure who does his HT but it's good).

For what it's worth, there were a lot of really nice looking bushbaby HC's and next gens in there too. Not a Kephart but the tigerstripe small northern hunter was dead sexy too. I think I've watched or scanned through the vault video a dozen times.

They didn't have a genesis in orange. They did have a few in tigerstripe G10 in models I didn't want and almost went for them any but I at least showed some restraint. The double red looks pretty hot, in a more subtle way, in the photos of other models I was able to pull.

There was a genesis with burlap and a saber in AEB-L that was also pretty handsome but the FFG is what I really wanted and LT does A2 right (or has peters do it right, not sure who does his HT but it's good).

For what it's worth, there were a lot of really nice looking bushbaby HC's and next gens in there too. Not a Kephart but the tigerstripe small northern hunter was dead sexy too. I think I've watched or scanned through the vault video a dozen times.
They have a list of what’s left (if anything)?

Deinos Deinos No, I had to call but they did have a surprising amount left. They did put up a picture of a few of their genesis models that were still there on their facebook page, including the burlap, AEB-L model.

Thanks BE. I guess I need to do some reading. But regardless, I don't plan on carrying the Kephart, Nessmuk, and a hatchet on my belt. I would carry those three in my pack.
Seems like all my life I've been searching for that, "One" knife.

Thanks BE. I guess I need to do some reading. But regardless, I don't plan on carrying the Kephart, Nessmuk, and a hatchet on my belt. I would carry those three in my pack.
Seems like all my life I've been searching for that, "One" knife.

Wasn't that the ratweiler?

"the one" is easier to apply if you set out a set of tasks instead of "everything." I will say, the 5" Kephart might be pretty close if "nothing great but most well" type of proficiency. Things get easier too if you don't need it to look good... I'm still a fan of a clip point for looks but the thin tip and excessive use of swedges makes the blade length feel short since that last bit is rough on sticks for batoning or thumbs for carving.

On my tombstone....
Here lies Uncle Timbo...
All his life he was hunting for that One and Done Knife!
Poor Hillbilly never found it.

I will say, I think I could get it down to a pair, maybe a trip, and cover everything I want a knife for. Not sure if a folder would fall into there or not but pretty much something 3", 5-6" and then 7.5-9" depending on weight.

Native or bushbaby
bushcrafter mark II
ratweiler

Really, I could probably get by without the little knife but usually the little guy rides in the sheath with the big'un.

The bushcraft mark II is probably the most versatile knife I own. It slices nearly as well as the BK62 but has more thickness and weight so it chops a lot better. I mean, I sold a ratmandu because of that knife, if that tells you anything.

P.S. not sure if you're all healed up yet but if you want to give the big bushcrafter a try, let me know and I'll let you borrow mine. It will be sidelined for a little bit when the genesis arrives and I get acquainted with her.

Well now, like I said, I could and would carry all in my pack.
  • InfiRatweiler -- Check
  • Kephart -- Check
  • Buck 110 -- this could be my smaller knife. BG42 steel. Canvas Micarta slabs.
  • Palm swell
  • ALSO -- I ALWAYS have a pocket knife. I'd prolly carry my GEC 66 Calf Roper with 3 blades. One spey blade for skinning.

Back