Lets See thoses MACHETE'S

Turned out ok I guess

not bad at all!

I have to finish the rehandles I'm doing, too. crazy move, but I figure all the woods are stabilised for the climat now and no shrinkage on glue up will happen

DSC03198.jpg

How much do you want to bet that's just what he brought back on his last trip. :p

I've traded a few of mine, but here's what I have on hand.

Small Machetes:
002-79.jpg

Marble's Camp Cleaver with orange finish removed.
Iraqi Dora machete.
Ontario 12" machete.
Ontario Old Hickory 14" skinning knife.
Tramontina 14" machete.
Forged machete that I made.

Medium-sized Machetes:
003-84.jpg

Marble's Bolo Machete with the orange paint removed.
Tramontina that I cut down.
Cold Steel Light Machete.
Tramontina Bolo machete (there are two shown).
Tramontina that I cut down. It's about 1-1/2" longer than the other one.
Cold Steel Bolo Machete.
Cold Steel Panga Machete.
Okapi 16" machete.
(Missing: Cold Steel Heavy Machete and Condor Golok)

Standard (18" Blade) Machetes:
004-83.jpg

Tramontina with wood handles.
Gordon (Harbor Freight's brand) soft grip machete.
Marble's Junle Machete with orange paint removed.
Condor Eco Lite.
Ontario government-issue.
Tramontina plastic handle.
Cold Steel 18" Barong.
Cold Steel 18" Sax.

Large Machetes:
001-76.jpg

Tramontina 22" blade machete.
Cold Steel 24" blade Latin Machete.
Cold Steel Two Handed Panga.
Cold Steel Two Handed Kukri.
(Missing: Condor Parang)

Kukris:
005-73.jpg

10" blade Nepal kukri (wedding gift)
12" blade Nepal kukri (wedding gift)
Cold Steel Kukri (I have two more of these around somewhere)
Condor Kukri.
Cold Steel Magnum Kukri.

I too am a big machete fan, though my collection is small. I have from the Rothco 12" camp through the Cold Steels to the 28" Tram.

Here is the only one I have made so far.

The owner wanted a machete to do the work of an axe, and a machete. Here are some pics of the progress. 1/4" 1080 18" cutting edge, 27" OAL.
IMG_0258.jpg

Rough ground getting ready for heat treat.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Who neds a batton?!? :D
IMG_0377.jpg

Okay, here are the pics of the handle on the blade.
IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Okay, here are the last pics of this beast. This time wearing leather chaps.
IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Paul
The machete goes without saying, but that sheath is fantastic too.

latest flea market find-total $6 for all three.(thats a 2' ruler at top)
the top two are both fairly heavy steel. the bottom, traditional thin, flexy colombian made machete.
have only used the middle one so far. split a bunch of elm and maple in the back yard(about 5-8" in diameter). tho its fairly thick, several times it got way outta whack while pounding it thru the wood. but every time it sprung right back to shape. the top one is one beveled on one side. and sharp as the dickens as found. someone took the bottom one to the grinder, but it will sharpen up jus fine i reckon.

DSCN64266.jpg
[/IMG]

Paul

That is one sick blade! Wow!

Well I feel kind of embarrassed but here is mine, my first one just to see what a machete can do and I am impressed. Need to get a good one in future though!

Standerd edge
P30-09-10_12-03.jpg

My edge
P30-09-10_12-17.jpg

P30-09-10_17-45.jpg

P30-09-10_12-191.jpg

P30-09-10_12-21.jpg

P30-09-10_12-22.jpg

Paul

That is one sick blade! Wow!

Well I feel kind of embarrassed but here is mine, my first one just to see what a machete can do and I am impressed. Need to get a good one in future though!...

You know that Lasher is the company that makes the Cold Steel machetes, right? Actually, Lasher makes them and Cold Steel just puts their sticker on it. There's absolutely no other difference. Lasher is a really good company for machetes and agricultural tools :thumbup:

Sorry for no pictures but this is my collectioin
KHHI chitlange kukri 15" blade
Condor Golok
CS Kukri machete 13" blade
KHHI Sirupate Kukri 12" blade

Although I've come to realize that apparently I need to branch out, all my choppers are the same size (I don't really even count the sirupate, compared to the rest it's a toy, even the CS makes the siru feel small).

You know that Lasher is the company that makes the Cold Steel machetes, right? Actually, Lasher makes them and Cold Steel just puts their sticker on it. There's absolutely no other difference. Lasher is a really good company for machetes and agricultural tools :thumbup:

I actually became aware of this about two days ago. I was shocked but pleased at the same time. :) I have been chopping away with it and it has been serving me well.

Cold Steel Kukri and Magnum Kukri with the coatings removed. The handles were also sanded and given a layer of athletic tape to reduce blisters...
029-22.jpg

022-36.jpg

025-28.jpg

Cold Steel Two Handed Katana Machete with the handle chopped down and wrapped...
009-69.jpg

Condor Kukri and Parang...
006-69.jpg

Condor Bush Cutlass, finish removed, polished...
006-71.jpg

005-78.jpg

Here is my meager collection, an Imacassa 18" Pata de Chuche and a Condor Golok.
Machetes.jpg

I've had the Imacasa for years, and it has faced more than it's share of use and abuse. I recently blued it thinking that it would be a good, easy-to-reapply finish. I haven't decided if I like it (the finish). I'm still breaking in the Condor, but so far I'm very impressed.
sheaths.jpg

The sheaths are homemade. Cheap, but usable. (I think the sheath on the Imacasa would make a good emergency paddle:D)

The forward hook is used for everything from grasses to brambles, as well as snedding (removing side-shoots and branches at the base) while the back blade is used for chopping in situations where the hook would provide inadequate clearance or become snagged. :)

Hey, JNieporte! Got any more pics of the stripped Bush Cutlass? I've considered doing the same with mine.

...Hey, JNieporte! Got any more pics of the stripped Bush Cutlass? I've considered doing the same with mine.

Right now, these five are the only ones I have, but I can take some more if you'd like. It took about twenty minutes of letting the Aircraft Remover set in, then a quick wipe-down with a shop rag. A little elbow grease, a razor blade, then a polish with simichrome polish. You can see that the only parts I missed were right in front of the guard, but I'll get those off today. I also got that mall ninja black coating off of my Cold Steel Two Handed Katana Machete.
004-87.jpg

005-78.jpg

006-71.jpg

008-70.jpg

007-72.jpg

Looking good! If I end up doing that I'll probably put a coat of clear lacquer on it to keep it shiny. Maple branches would purple that thing up right quick! :p

Back