Lets See thoses MACHETE'S

The machete in the bottom right hand corner, above the red bladed machete, is the chunk in the blade intentional? Or is it just a chunk out of the blade?

Thats an Ontario that lost to a tree. Heat treat.

Tree!
Been working on the book for about a year now. Got tired of all the internet fake knowledge out there and started hard research. There are plenty of axe books out there with tons of knowledge that you don't see on the web, but no one has done justice for the sling blade. Alot of it is political though and I didn't want that to be a main focus, but rather all the real stuff no one even had an idea about.

Mad props for doing the research! I was always surprised that there wasn't any published literature on machetes and related tools other than that ONE book just on Collins machetes, and that really raised more questions for me than it answered. :thumbup:

there are a few, they just are unprinted now, and a few are in spanish and german.

Neither of which I speak! :D

It's sort of like trying to research Indo-Persian arms and armor, which are a favorite of mine. There are very few books in English on the subject, so I'm glad the few that DO exist are pretty comprehensive and provide cultural context. Even though you didn't want political information to be a focal point of your book, I bet it's really important to know! :thumbup:

I left about 10-15 out I think, in various cars and places around the house, but I defintley forgot this little enigmatic critter. Its what happens when you over-think cutting with a machete. Hence the name- Engineer's machete!
9401ec32.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what are the characteristics of it that you find negative? I've always thought it was an interesting design, but have never had the chance to handle one, so I don't know how it would feel or perform.

Everyone says that unless they handle one.

2.5 lbs

I have one of those Engineers machete as well. It's more like a big knife than machete. Too thick and heavy.

Do you think the pattern would perform well if thinned out, or are there things about the extreme curvature/angle of offset from the handle that make it weird or awkward to use?

Looks like it would cleave through something like a Khukri rather than a parang. I might need to get mine out and talk to a Knife maker friend of mine and see if he can do something in that pattern. Might need some changes or might not. It would be a interesting project though.

Do you think the pattern would perform well if thinned out, or are there things about the extreme curvature/angle of offset from the handle that make it weird or awkward to use?

You'll have to find out in 2012.

It has a 15 inch long blade, and weighs 2 lbs 7 oz ounces
my 15 " wetterlings weighs 1lb, 15oz
I love machetes...but I'm just saying...

It has a 15 inch long blade, and weighs 2 lbs 7 oz ounces
my 15 " wetterlings weighs 1lb, 15oz
I love machetes...but I'm just saying...

Wow--what were those engineers doing with those? :eek:

If I can find my engineers machete in storage, anybody that wants to try it out is welcome too.

Hi all,

i'm Pham, from Vietnamese. I have one which i use in rain forest. and it's really effective in my trips go in to rain forest with dense vines.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

And a small knife i carried on on the strap of my backpack, it lie on my shoulder.

IMG_0188Medium.jpg

IMG_0151Medium.jpg

IMG_0181Medium.jpg

...!!!

Back