Let's see your Bog Oak

My one and only piece of Bog Oak.

DSC02936-vi.jpg

Its great and interesting to see all of these different bog oak pieces that are out there!

Jim,
That's nice! What are the handle and blade lengths on this?

Its great and interesting to see all of these different bog oak pieces that are out there!

Jim,
That's nice! What are the handle and blade lengths on this?

Thanks Warrior. Aesthetically speaking, I'm still on the fence with Bog Oak but it's definitely cool to own something that's that old. :D

The knife is a WA Surls Outlander. OAL 12 ½” and a 7 1/8” blade. The handle on this model is simply a joy to hold. :thumbup:

So... who is going to buy the BC SR. at Outpost?
The problem here is that, as much as we like selling Andy's knives, we also really like keeping them, polishing them, oiling them, and just all around fondling them. Then they make their way to our cars, then to our homes, etc. Then we have to take them off the site because we added them to our personal collection and, of course, sleep on the sofa for a few nights because we "brought another knife home" as our wives would say. So, if someone could buy it soon, it would probably help save a marriage (well, ours anyway - not sure about yours).
Fiddleback_Forge_Bushcrafter_Sr_-_Bog_Oak_-_6_1024x1024.png

I'm not a wood expert, but from what I've seen, bog oak still receives a stabilization prior to being used for knife scales (or other purposes). Most of the blocks of bog oak I've seen are marketed as stabilized to help prevent any damage from crafting the wood into the desired scale shape. With all of that said, I'm kind of surprised that it is necessary with bog oak as it does seem naturally stabilized through its long-term submersion in a peat bog. I would think that bog oak would be more like cocobolo and ironwood where stabilization isn't necessary or as effective, but then again I'm no wood expert....

Thanks Warrior. Aesthetically speaking, I'm still on the fence with Bog Oak but it's definitely cool to own something that's that old. :D

The knife is a WA Surls Outlander. OAL 12 ½” and a 7 1/8” blade. The handle on this model is simply a joy to hold. :thumbup:

I was just looking at your Outlander again and was wondering who made the sheath for it?

Figured we ought to revive this thread if the Osage thread got a boost. And what better time than an opportunity to share today's mail call!

btw This is my first Monarch and I don't believe anyone had ever described it as an upscaled Esquire or I'd have tried for one long ago. At least to me, it seems like a big Esquire.

I immediately liked this model a bunch!

BogOakMonarchsm-vi.jpg

Figured we ought to revive this thread if the Osage thread got a boost. And what better time than an opportunity to share today's mail call!

btw This is my first Monarch and I don't believe anyone had ever described it as an upscale Esquire or I'd have tried for one long ago. At least to me, it seems like a big Esquire.

I immediately liked this model a bunch!

BogOakMonarchsm-vi.jpg

I definitely like the looks of the Monarch. looking at them on "Fridays", when they come around it's just not that easy to get an idea of how that shape up in comparison. Sometime I'd like to see a comparative pic of the three Runt, Monarch and Esquire!

That and I don't own any Bog Oak yet and have barely cracked the surface with Osage.

Here's a quick question. What do you put on the bog oak to protect it? Do you wipe down with mineral oil? Or something different? Or nothing at all?

Here's a quick question. What do you put on the bog oak to protect it? Do you wipe down with mineral oil? Or something different? Or nothing at all?

i use Howards Feed & Wax periodically. I do it when the discloration from carrying in a sheath(the leather absorbs the oils) starts to bug me.

edit to show discoloration
20170122_132652_zpsq9th5ryv.jpg

20170122_132708_zpse0gse9dg.jpg

Last edited:

I use Howard's Feed and Wax, based on a recommendation I got on here. You can find it at Lowe's.

I've found that the bog oak will actually soak it up. I use it on all of my knives, but nothing seems to actually absorb it like the bog oak. I coat the wood, then leave it overnight. Then I use my hands to rub it in well, and buff it a bit with a towel. I find the wood keeps an incredible luster and glow to it from this.

I think this pic shows what I'm talking about quite well. The wood just shines!

A different angle...

Last edited:
Thanks! I will definitely get some for my big oak huntsman. All of my other Fiddlebacks and Surls have synthetic handles, and I normally soak them in mineral oil for an hour or two. Didn't want to do the same without knowing what would happen, and I'm thankful for the other option. Thanks again, guys!

Back