Let's see your Camillus knives!

how about a WWII rope knife?

rope002.jpg

It was the 718. When it arrives, will group them and try to figure out this camera, and take a picture.

Did you get it from Jerdan on Ebay? He had the 718 and 719 this week NIB. I wasn't bold enough to win either one. 2nd place sucks on Ebay sometimes.:(

With the utility knife I just bought, I might also start collecting some of these versions. By the way, the utility knife I bought, has wood handles, one pin in handle, and the openner, is made in two pieces, held together by a pin. And has a straight edge, unlike most that are curved. Any info on this model.
This pic is really bad, but will try to post a better one, if need be.
ccd7_2.JPG

That was a good price. I tried to take some pictures of mine, but they keep coming out with lines thru them. I think I need a new camera. I have changed settings over and over, but still does the same thing.
See what I mean....
yellojakets002.jpg

Pretty decent picture IMO. The lines are very faint on my screen. Nice collection too.:thumbup:

There are several of those big Yello Jaket's I've not seen before. Would you list the pattern numbers please?

If those are "good enough" here are the others. The patterns are in the top picture are, 719, 716, 707, 718, 628, 720 and 710. Top left to bottom, the top right to bottom.
This picture is 709, 711, 72, 712s, 712ns (non serrated), 715, 717, 714, and 713.
I hope I numbered these correctly.

yellojakets001.jpg

Damn nice set of knives. Thank goodness they didn't make several colors!

I find that knowing the story behind a knife makes collecting and ownership more enjoyable. Sometimes we luck out and get the personal story of first purchase and ownership from the original buyer, but most often not. Then it takes a bit of sleuthing to get the full story, particularly with privately branded knives (SFO’s or “Special Factory Orders”). Who made the knife and for whom? When did they make it and what were they trying to achieve during the market that prevailed at the time?

I recently bought such a knife. The stamping is currently not very popular among those who know, or don’t know it’s origins, much like the Sears Craftsman knives were a few years ago. The marking is KENT - N.Y. CITY - U.S.A.

As you can see, this is a fixed blade hunting or "Sportsman's" pattern knife, far less common than the Kent pocket knives.

Now, most of us know that few, if any knives were actually manufactured in New York City, though there did exist a section of one street known as “Cutler’s Row” where many importers, jobbers, and manufacturers had their offices located.

When we look up the mark in Goins Encyclopedia Of Cutlery Markings (1998), we see that he attributes the mark to A. Kastor & Brothers (Camillus) as used on knives manufactured circa 1931-1955 for F. W. Woolworth.

Until today, I couldn't be certain that this particular Kent Sportsman hunting knife was made by Camillus. Today, Tom Williams confirmed that it is a "#5665 pattern that was introduced in 1939".

Michael

I find that knowing the story behind a knife makes collecting and ownership more enjoyable. Sometimes we luck out and get the personal story of first purchase and ownership from the original buyer, but most often not.
Michael

You took the words right out of my mouth, or vise versa. I have several Ebay knives that came with a dandy story. Some so dandy you wonder why they gave it up. $$$$$ NOT!

I've not sold on Ebay, but have sold a few to fellow forum members, and I try to tell the store location I bought them out of. I haven't parted with many of my Ebay quests yet.

I really wish I had carried my camera around on my Schrade hunts, and snapped a picture of the store front, and the knife case. Some of the stores have been classics.

I noticed that no one had brought it up but looking in the general area(traditional fixed blades and folders) I saw someone post a knife called A "moore maker" made by camillus he said. I had never seen or heard of them before but a search on ebay showed about 30 and they were a pretty neat knife. anyone have one or heard of them before? I think I need one of these. high carbon blades etc.

Wow Michael,
That is great to know.
I have a few Kents I have picked up in lots. They seem to be solid knives (makes sense if Kastor/Camillus made them), but I didn't know the story behind them.

I guess I am going to have to read Goin's cover to cover.........not that I will remember all of it. :eek:

Dale

Back