Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

I have a Case/Bose Cattle Knife, and a Eureka Jack. It's been a constant struggle, but so far I've been able to stop myself from hitting the Add To Cart button on the Premium Stockman. I might as well give in, because eventually it's gonna happen. It's not like I don't have anything else to carry, but I just need one of those things.

I have a Case/Bose Cattle Knife, and a Eureka Jack. It's been a constant struggle, but so far I've been able to stop myself from hitting the Add To Cart button on the Premium Stockman. I might as well give in, because eventually it's gonna happen. It's not like I don't have anything else to carry, but I just need one of those things.

It took me awhile as well. They aren't cheap. It is a bit heftier in size than most stockmans, but I don't mind the extra size and weight.

There are certain patterns in the case Bose collaborations that seem to be standouts (think Norfolk, which is universally praised). I think that Case knocked it out of the park with this pattern, especially in ebony wood where everything is smooth and flush. I prefer it to all my other production stockmans and ...dare I say.... I prefer it to even my custom stockmans.

Last edited:
I can sympathize. Everytime I see a Eureka Jack my add to cart finger starts twitching. Sooner or later it'll happen. I had one in my hand at the Case Museum store. I should have just bit the bullet then.

I can sympathize. Everytime I see a Eureka Jack my add to cart finger starts twitching. Sooner or later it'll happen. I had one in my hand at the Case Museum store. I should have just bit the bullet then.

Yeah, the Eureka is nice!
DSC00106-X4.jpg

I decided to get this one out and carry it for a while. It's rough but quite serviceable and a good user. The local knife store had a nice CV Texas jack in amber bone that I picked up for a fair price, and also this one that was identical right down to the date code, except really grungy with a lot of pitting on the blades, mostly in the spine area. It was priced right (cheap) so I bought it also, intending to use it to experiment with patina and bone dying. I've forgotten what all I tried; I know I did brown that looked pretty good, then blue but it didn't really take, then back to brown followed by red to change the shade a bit to something I like even more. The patina was done with hot vinegar followed by 0000 steel wool. The apparent fingerprints on the clip blade are actually in the mineral oil coating, which I put on fairly thick last night after a sharpening session. Funny, what we might think of as a beat up old knife today I would have been proud to carry and use every day as a kid. (I didn't notice until I took the photo that there's still some dye in the lettering on the shield!)

50211885397_ce990e3512_b.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1396017 View attachment 1396018 View attachment 1396019

I AM running out of Case knives Ed, Modoc ED Modoc ED ! Instead of buying more, I’ll try to be more creative with my photos. BTW, what color is that sodbuster? Did it come that way or did you dye it or put it on your roof in a snow storm or something? It has a unique color.

Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville - It's called Deep Canyon Jigged Autumn Bone. They range in color from bright orange to a less subdued shade of orange.

I see a new dark red jigged bone medium stockman with a punch in CV steel posted today on a vendor's website.

,,,Mike in Canada
Really? That would be a nice looking knife. I like mine, but I would prefer red bone... especially if it's their "crimson bone".

I decided to get this one out and carry it for a while. It's rough but quite serviceable and a good user. The local knife store had a nice CV Texas jack in amber bone that I picked up for a fair price, and also this one that was identical right down to the date code, except really grungy with a lot of pitting on the blades, mostly in the spine area. It was priced right (cheap) so I bought it also, intending to use it to experiment with patina and bone dying. I've forgotten what all I tried; I know I did brown that looked pretty good, then blue but it didn't really take, then back to brown followed by red to change the shade a bit to something I like even more. The patina was done with hot vinegar followed by 0000 steel wool. The apparent fingerprints on the clip blade are actually in the mineral oil coating, which I put on fairly thick last night after a sharpening session. Funny, what we might think of as a beat up old knife today I would have been proud to carry and use every day as a kid. (I didn't notice until I took the photo that there's still some dye in the lettering on the shield!)

50211885397_ce990e3512_b.jpg

I like the way this turned out - good pick and good work on the knife. :thumbsup:

Back