Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

You make a good point Leslie. Here is my 47 with yellow composite covers.

iG9xmWM.jpg

All you Case guys, can you give a newbie a little help? I just picked up a CV sway back and my initial impression was that it was a great knife - a top notch example better than most Case knives I have had in my hands and as good as many of my GEC's. However, the action is super mushy from the half-stop to open and, more concerning, the blade which first appeared to be exactly centered, wiggles back and forth, from liner to liner, when closed. Strangely, it does not appear to have any blade play when open. I assume the action will clear up if I flush the knife with WD40 and then oil. The wobble when closed has me worried it will only get worse and wobble when open. What is your experience with this? I hate to send it back because in all other aspects it's a great knife and you never know what the dealer might send in exchange.

All you Case guys, can you give a newbie a little help? I just picked up a CV sway back and my initial impression was that it was a great knife - a top notch example better than most Case knives I have had in my hands and as good as many of my GEC's. However, the action is super mushy from the half-stop to open and, more concerning, the blade which first appeared to be exactly centered, wiggles back and forth, from liner to liner, when closed. Strangely, it does not appear to have any blade play when open. I assume the action will clear up if I flush the knife with WD40 and then oil. The wobble when closed has me worried it will only get worse and wobble when open. What is your experience with this? I hate to send it back because in all other aspects it's a great knife and you never know what the dealer might send in exchange.
When you say wobble do you mean it moves around by moving the knife or that if you push on it the blade moves? I think that if it is solid when open it is good to go. If you can nudge it to either side that sounds normal.

,,,Mike in Canada

When you say wobble do you mean it moves around by moving the knife or that if you push on it the blade moves? I think that if it is solid when open it is good to go. If you can nudge it to either side that sounds normal.

,,,Mike in Canada

Duper, I should have been more specific. I can take my finger and move the blade back and forth, from liner to liner, in the closed position. When I close the blade (although it is too gupped-up right now to have any snap), it wants to come back to center naturally.

Duper, I should have been more specific. I can take my finger and move the blade back and forth, from liner to liner, in the closed position. When I close the blade (although it is too gupped-up right now to have any snap), it wants to come back to center naturally.
Not sure what to say. Perhaps if it was in my hands I would have the same thought as you. I checked my swayback and when closed it is centered enough for me and it is fairly stiff. I can wiggle it and if I push I an still make it touch the brass.

,,,Mike in Canada

It should be relatively tight when closed, but can be moved. If it is free of play open, it’s not an issue. The lazy open should clear up with a through rinsing of the joint and backspring with hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap. There’s usually a lot of gunk left from polishing, etc. Sometimes all it takes is a little time for the knife to break-in. The swayback is my favorite Case pattern, Tony hit a grand slam with that one. The joint needs just a drop of oil, not too much.

It should be relatively tight when closed, but can be moved. If it is free of play open, it’s not an issue. The lazy open should clear up with a through rinsing of the joint and backspring with hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap. There’s usually a lot of gunk left from polishing, etc. Sometimes all it takes is a little time for the knife to break-in. The swayback is my favorite Case pattern, Tony hit a grand slam with that one. The joint needs just a drop of oil, not too much.

Duper and JB, Thanks for your responses. I decided to keep the knife. There were too many positives to spin the wheel of chance on another. If the blade ever loosens up in the open position, I guess I can always send it back to Case for repair. I cleaned it and oiled it and the action is much better now. Yep, a lot of gunk in there. I couldn't agree more that Tony hit a grand slam with the sway back pattern. It is my favorite Case pattern. Simple design but it just works. While the wharncliffe is not my favorite blade from an aesthetics standpoint, it is a darn useful tool. Great for EDC and the sway back just slips in your change pocket without even noticing it's there.

Duper and JB, Thanks for your responses. I decided to keep the knife. There were too many positives to spin the wheel of chance on another. If the blade ever loosens up in the open position, I guess I can always send it back to Case for repair. I cleaned it and oiled it and the action is much better now. Yep, a lot of gunk in there. I couldn't agree more that Tony hit a grand slam with the sway back pattern. It is my favorite Case pattern. Simple design but it just works. While the wharncliffe is not my favorite blade from an aesthetics standpoint, it is a darn useful tool. Great for EDC and the sway back just slips in your change pocket without even noticing it's there.
Maybe you should get one or two more. That is how it mostly works around here. :)

,,,Mike in Canada

Maybe you should get one or two more. That is how it mostly works around here. :)

,,,Mike in Canada

The dark red is tempting since it is CV but I really love the shield on the 2020 Shot Show exclusive. A local dealer has/had one and it was super tempting but it wasn't the best fit and finish I ever saw. I still may pop for one. My fingers are crossed they release black buffalo horn. That would look stunning on this pattern. This may be my first but it won't be my last. There are seven days in the week. Who wants to carry the same knife every day? I like to change things up.

I might as well post a knife while I'm here. Here is a red stag baby butterbean I picked up back in 2008. The knife was a dud. I loved the red stag but something was just wrong with the knife. The action was all mushy and it just felt terrible to use. Not knowing much about knives back then it quickly went into a drawer and was forgotten. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I remembered my little butterbean. I dig it out thinking I would throw it up on eBay and rid myself of that "bad" knife. Well, looking it over I realized it was completely clogged with polishing compound. I mean stuffed with the stuff. No wonder it hardly opened. It had hardened and turned green in the intervening years. Now knowing what to do I cleaned out the gunk, oiled it up, and worked it back and forth for several minutes. Not only does it look so much better not being encased in green gunk but the action is super smooth. Even a little snap open and closed. Fit and finish is top-notch, the stag matches well front and back, and no blade rub. It's back from the dead and it's a great little knife. Too bad I wrote it off all those years ago. It may just be a keeper now.

butterbean.jpg

I’ve had good luck with Case repair, I’d recommend being as detailed as possible in the description of any defect you want corrected. Case now let’s you upload photos of defects.

Last edited:
Back