Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

View attachment 1479798 View attachment 1479796 View attachment 1479799 View attachment 1479797

It took me a long time to understand the difference between Pretty Bone and a genuine Case XX era Red Bone. Lots of people, even some dealers and collectors, use the terms interchangeably. Both are pretty but a XX Red Bone is much redder as these photos show well.

As I understand it, a true Red Bone can only be found in the Case XX era knives. However, even some XX’s would be described as Pretty Bone rather than Red if they have more of a darker Chestnut color. Case XX USA era and dotted knives from the 1970’s would be considered Pretty Bone only.

Our resident expert Charlie @waynorth has advised me to just buy what I like and not worry about the catch phrases. I agree, but I do get a kick out of the way dealers and collectors describe these knives, Pretty Bone, Super Pretty Bone, Extra Pretty Bone, and on it goes!

Last edited:
JohnDF JohnDF , to me that is one of the prettiest current production knives you can get. It is classic and perfectly designed for what the knife is intended to do. You could not change one thing without diminishing it. The perfect tool. And it cuts!

Didn’t they make that one recently in black and yellow with a punch? I wish I had got one.

Last edited:
My Mother-in-law gave me this fine swayback for Christmas this year. And I have got to say that this knife is just about perfectly made. Snappy, Sharp, Centered. Fit and finish is way beyond a $70.00 knife.
I know others have gotten some not so good work from Case lately, but this one is great. And that I recieved it as a gift makes it special.
Happy New Year to the porch.

thxHZ5z.jpg

I gathered all my Case Sod Buster knives together for a family picture.

01C4nhj.jpg

Well, I think that's all of the Sod Busters I have but around here I never know what's going to pop up when I open a drawer, tool box, etc. in the house or out in my shop or shed or even in the truck sometimes.

Today’s carry is one I don’t see too often, the 35 1/2 pattern “Regular” or “Swell End” Jack. 1982 vintage I believe. Hard to believe this one is nearly 40 years old. Great size at 3.25" closed, with nice vertical grind lines and crisp half stops that snap like they just came off the line.
View attachment 1485346
View attachment 1485345

Last edited:
Today’s carry is one I don’t see too often, the 35 1/2 pattern “Regular” or “Swell End” Jack. 1982 vintage I believe. Hard to believe this one is nearly 40 years old. Great size at 3.25" closed, with nice vertical grind lines and crisp half stops that snap like they just came off the line.
View attachment 1485346
View attachment 1485345
That is a fine looking knife!

Back