Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

Here's a Case I'm glad to have. I picked it up awhile back. They're still available but now at considerably higher cost. Something of a unique look but it seems the design makes it quite ergonomic. :)
Humpback Half Whittler
0MFhV9t.jpg

It's a nice size (approx. 3.5"), both blades have great snap and being located on the ends make this knife very useful. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
sparerow

Questions on the pre-dot 1920's (and earlier?) to 1970's 'True Sharp' stainless steel knives, if I may:
1) Did Case originally use 440A or something else as their 'True Sharp' stainless steel?
1b) Did Case ever use 440C as a standard blade steel "back in the day"?

2) When did Case make the switch to 420HC?
Was it before or after their nemisis Schrade and company made the switch in the early 1990's?

(if you prefer I not ask, or I can't ask, please ignore this post, and ask the mods to remove it. :) )

Curious what you all think about this tang stamp (not my image)?
s-l1600.jpg
The closest on the tang stamp chart I have would be 1976, except it has no periods after the U and the S and A so I don't know.
The dots are spaced different than others I've seen also.
Edit: I just checked a 1979 Case I have and it does not have periods in the USA either, so I guess they were used on some an not on others.

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

Last edited:
Questions on the pre-dot 1920's (and earlier?) to 1970's 'True Sharp' stainless steel knives, if I may:
1) Did Case originally use 440A or something else as their 'True Sharp' stainless steel?
1b) Did Case ever use 440C as a standard blade steel "back in the day"?

2) When did Case make the switch to 420HC?
Was it before or after their nemisis Schrade and company made the switch in the early 1990's?

(if you prefer I not ask, or I can't ask, please ignore this post, and ask the mods to remove it. :) )

Fair questions and you are of course free to ask. :) I do not know the answers, however.

The closest on the tang stamp chart I have would be 1976, except it has no periods after the U and the S and A so I don't know.
The dots are spaced different than others I've seen also.
Edit: I just checked a 1979 Case I have and it does not have periods in the USA either, so I guess they were used on some an not on others.

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

Thanks Mike, that was exactly my question (lack of dots in the USA). I didn't want to sway opinion by asking it directly. I'm glad that you found another 1970's without the dots so I suppose it is legit. :thumbsup:

Fair questions and you are of course free to ask. :) I do not know the answers, however.

Thanks Mike, that was exactly my question (lack of dots in the USA). I didn't want to sway opinion by asking it directly. I'm glad that you found another 1970's without the dots so I suppose it is legit. :thumbsup:
Ok, I've managed to confuse myself (happens with disturbing regularity :) ). We need a Case expert.

I just checked some more knives in my collection. I have five 6235 1/2's and two Barlows, all appaloosa bone, and none of them have the periods. I have a couple of '70's vintage copperheads and they do have the periods. My Dad's old '71 Barlow has the periods. Don't have a clue.

Thanks for asking this as I'd never noticed this before.

Here's a '77 copperhead with the periods and a '79 6235 1/2 without. Note the dots on the copperhead are close together and not centered FWIW.
tangstamp 77 1.JPG tangstamp 79 6235 1.JPG

Back