Lets see your Cold Steel mods!!!

Now that makes it ten times better! A lighter knife is nearly always a better knife. I'll have to post some of my updates as well when I have time.

So, angle grinder followed by files?

Hey! I'm not supposed to like paracord wrapped handles!

Here is a quick update on my Cold Steel collection. If there is any interest in seeing better pics of any given knife or knives, I am sure I can be convinced, and I just found out I am not mandated for overtime this weekend! Woo hoo! From left to right: Large Espada, Eland, XL Voyager Tanto (believe it or not), Another XL Voyager Tanto, Large Voyager Clip point AUS10A, Large Recon 1 Satin s35vn flat ground spear point, Blue XHP Talwar, another Eland, Prolite (my least modded cold steel knife), and Tuff Lite.

IMG_5224.JPG

And because it's the one I worked on the most recently, here is the Recon 1, Blades Canada satin flat ground edition:

IMG_5226.JPG

IMG_5227.JPG

Not only did I remove a lot off the spine to give it a more Spyderco Military looking blade profile, I also removed a bit from just past the ricasso to give the blade a more streamlined look, instead of a continuous wide to slim profile. It's not exactly a recurve, but it cuts somewhat more like one due to this little tweak. Also, I massively thinned out the blade geometry. I kept the full thickness of the spine at the base of the blade and did a distal taper as well as the profile taper. The blade geometry is thinner than and easily outcuts the stock Military. In fact, even my 204-P Military, which I gave a 9 dps edge angle and 20 dps micro, can't touch this Recon 1 for slicing ability, due to how much thinner this is behind the edge (I did not thin out the 204-P Military behind the edge to any substantial degree). This knife was way overbuilt before, but now it is a primo cutting tool. Oh and unlike the stock recon 1, the balance much more neutral, instead of front heavy.

Here is the knife before mods.

cs27us.JPG

And here it is compared to my Millie (handle modded, blade essentially unmodded aside from sharpening)

IMG_5228.JPG

IMG_5229.JPG

Last edited:
I really like what you did with that Recon-1. Very nice! The handle looks sort of like the Talwar without so much of a "hook" to it. Awesome mod!

anyone know of someone with a 7.5 in espada cpm-s35vn blade for sale and a custom scale maker??

I really like what you did with that Recon-1. Very nice! The handle looks sort of like the Talwar without so much of a "hook" to it. Awesome mod!

Thanks Rags! I'm actually thinking of modding the handle further to give it that hook, actually. It feels a tad bit "slippy out of the handy" like this, but I might mod it a tad bit more, like the large Voyager above. Not sure yet. But I am fairly certain that once I have it "perfect" I'll sell it along with quite a few other knives I've modded. I keep saying I will, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. But I don't need so many knives. I don't need so many knives. I don't need so many knives... o_O

Once I get the Caribbean sheepsfoot and mod it to wharncliffe, I should be set for folders, then it'll be time for a diet, I think. I think I can I think I can I think I can....

EDIT: I can!
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/slimmed-down-recon-1-with-wave-sold.1683372/

Last edited:
I dunno man, I think you should keep it as is IMHO. If I want a talwar or voyager handle shape, I would get a talwar or voyager. Your recon-1 mod is similar,yet different enough to those to make it unique. Cool mod either way,great work!

I dunno man, I think you should keep it as is IMHO. If I want a talwar or voyager handle shape, I would get a talwar or voyager. Your recon-1 mod is similar,yet different enough to those to make it unique. Cool mod either way,great work!

Agreed! Y’all are doing some beautiful work. I tend to make ‘em more ugly yet (IMHO) practical.
I’ve got a drawer full of CS models. Can’t seem to leave ‘em factory stock. ‍
My latest mods are on a Double Agent II. Very handy size, nice clip-point. Hated the dual rings so I carved one off! Once that was done I carved away that silly, finger-pinching retention on the plastic sheath. I simply sunk a 1/2 “ square molybdenum magnet in & plastic epoxied around/over it. It literally lives on my belt.

You thought I massacred only clip-point? Don't underestimate my need for ruining perfectly working knives!

Imo this makes the handle more ergonomic. Always thought the stock handle is too much and the voyager should have a more neutral handle.

insta9ves
Funny thing - there is just a minor grinding job to make from 4in. Voyager an 3,5in. model. I don't know why Cold Steel ignores such a handy size in one of the best constructed (IMHO) knives.
Pivot from cut-off part of the handle was installed in vacant clip hole (aluminum liners were drilled up to 4mm to accommodate pivot), to preserve the maximum rigidness of handle.

insta9ves
Funny thing - there is just a minor grinding job to make from 4in. Voyager an 3,5in. model. I don't know why Cold Steel ignores such a handy size in one of the best constructed (IMHO) knives.
Pivot from cut-off part of the handle was installed in vacant clip hole (aluminum liners were drilled up to 4mm to accommodate pivot), to preserve the maximum rigidness of handle.
Totally agreed. 3.5 inch is my sweet spot and some of the most popular knives on the market are in this size range. Your mod really made it look like the voyager shoulda have been like this in the first place. Tho i still prefer the original tanto shape, but I understand it’s better to grind down from the spine rather than the edge to make it shorter.

Such a blade shape on tanto was a necessity, if I didn't grind the spine - tip of the blade would stick out from the handle when closed.
Now tip lays securely in handle (on both) and don't snag out even when I imitate unintentional hooking by clothes when knife reach out from pocket.

Back