1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Lets see your Cold Steel mods!!!

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by UCPOPO, Aug 2, 2014.

1. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
  2. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    This is how it turned out. Now it vawes reliably and there is less bulk. The finger ring however is not optimal, I would like it to be more straight angle to the handle. This would require it to be a split ring to let the blade close and open. I wonder would it be possible to make such a ring that could be attached with the screws used to attach the clip?

Notice that I also modified the quard.

[​IMG]

3. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    This Tiger Claw is very nice knife, action after some use is smooth and the lock is of course avesome. I suggest anyone buying this knife to put a drop of oil in the mechanism and then open and close the knife back and forth. It needs some running in to get smooth.

I still have to mention the finger ring. I like my knife handles to be a tight fit. Now using the ring puts the hand way back. In a standard karambit grip the pinkie does not reach the finger notch, at least with my medium sized hands. Flipping the knife feels clumsy and awkward. Putting the ring near 90 degrees to the handle and making it split would make it handle better, split ring would be thicker and so more comfortable.

4. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    Just plain stripped and some internal corrections:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I might do some file work in the future.

AF and G. Scott H. like this.
  5. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Here's another modded Tiger Claw.
    Cut off ring.
    Removed thumb plate.
    Drilled hole for opening. Added texture around ring to cover up a slip and the letter C from Claw.
    [​IMG]

tinfoil hat timmy, willc and HFinn like this.
  6. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    I like it. I am so irritated by the ring that I might also cut it off. How did you manage to make the hole?

7. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Drilling the hole was a pain. I used a carbide tipped masonry bit in my drill press. High speed and high pressure, making sure not to overheat. They're fairly cheap and that's what they had at Home Depot. I'm forgetting the size right now but I had to enlarge it with a carbide burr on my Dremel. That part went pretty fast.

HFinn likes this.
  8. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    I tried to like the finger ring but no success. Off it will go.

9. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

10. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Been playing around with a user Mini Tanto I recently aquired. Did a flat regrind, made some semi traditional dress attire ;) G-10 sheath and handle core for the wrap :)

[​IMG]

Finished polishing the flats too :D

[​IMG]

~Chip

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    hermit dave and G. Scott H. like this.
  11. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RickyBobby likes this.
  12. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I just noticed, those pics make your right leg look quite painful, lol.

A great mod, I hope your inbox is clear ;)

~Chip

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  13. StrangeDaze

StrangeDaze

Mar 20, 2016
    Vinegar patina on an o1 trail master [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  14. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H.

Jan 9, 2006
    JB Weld?

15. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I machined the hook from 304 stainless and welded it on with stainless wire. Went around the welds with jb weld just to seal everything up.

G. Scott H. likes this.
  16. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Funny! I hadn't noticed my leg looked broke either (knock on wood). Thanks man, this appeals to wavers, I don't know many guys who wave though.

17. Jimislash

Jimislash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Dyed my 4Max scales.

[​IMG]

18. deltablade

deltablade Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2006
    I can keep track of this Mackinac Hunter better now, and it works better for me after dropping the point a little bit

[​IMG]

ThePeacent likes this.
  19. POCEH KOCEB

POCEH KOCEB Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Waved couple of the Pro-Lites

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David Mary likes this.
  20. silverds

silverds

Jul 8, 2015
    Convex and patina makeover done on the salty USMC veteran at the bottom.

[​IMG]

AF likes this.