Lets see your CPK in Leather!

Kinda leather? Trying my hand at kydex and leather at the same time tonight. Still a long way off...can you tell I haven't made more than a dangler? Lol. V1, v2, v3, getting better each time. Sort of...retention is great on the fk1. Going full leather tomorrow from scratch.

finished designing the sheath for this knife this evening. Next step is to figure out how to make a few at once efficiently enough to actually get er done
JG9azOC.jpg

they'll be similar to this sheath
P9vS2XJ.jpg

but I'll be lining them with 30 year old veg tan deerskin from deer we raised on our farm way back then. I've devised a pretty good lock situation, (I hope) which should hold the knife securely without a retention strap. There will be compatibility with a large tecloc and iwb strap, in addition to customizable bolt on components for belt carry etc. I think I might be at a place where I feel like my work is worthy for sale, but I guess we'll see about that

P9vS2XJ.jpg

but I'll be lining them with 30 year old veg tan deerskin from deer we raised on our farm way back then. I've devised a pretty good lock situation, (I hope) which should hold the knife securely without a retention strap. There will be compatibility with a large tecloc and iwb strap, in addition to customizable bolt on components for belt carry etc. I think I might be at a place where I feel like my work is worthy for sale, but I guess we'll see about that

Looking really good !! Nice work on the stitching and forming the leather at the mouth:thumbsup::D

I just finished a similar styled sheath. Except instead of through holes, I had belt slots on both sides.
I find to aid in producing multiples, I make better patterns. So for me if I use something like cardboard for my patterns it helps. Plus I’ll put any notes/reminders right on the patterns. But I still find myself even with cutting pieces out ahead, I do each sheath one at a time.

generally the stitching was ok on that one, but I can do a better job. I'll also be using unwaxed hemp thread which will absorb the wax treatment once it's all put together, as opposed to the waxed polyester I've been using. I'm going to make an aluminum template which will take a little while but make it easier down the road. Unfortunately, I just have the one knife on loan, so I'm going to have to do these sheaths concurrently since you need the knife to do the wet molding

generally the stitching was ok on that one, but I can do a better job. I'll also be using unwaxed hemp thread which will absorb the wax treatment once it's all put together, as opposed to the waxed polyester I've been using. I'm going to make an aluminum template which will take a little while but make it easier down the road. Unfortunately, I just have the one knife on loan, so I'm going to have to do these sheaths concurrently since you need the knife to do the wet molding

I’ve been using ritza tiger thread for my work. Seems to work well for me at least and it’s durable. I still hand stitch my sheaths. I wax the thread with beeswax as I’m stitching along.
That aluminum template sounds awesome !!!! That I’m sure will save you time multiple ways. I agree, and I prefer to have the knife on hand to fit a sheath.

this is what I'll be using, it's heavier gauge than what I usually use but there'll only be one row of stitches on these sheaths and better safe than sorry. That being said, it's new to me and might be a surefire way to fuck it all up- I've been using waxed polyester since I started working with leather

Last edited:
I’m sure you’ll be just fine. I use 1.0 to 1.2 thread and wow that’s strong stuff. So if what your going to use is stronger, I don’t think you’ll have to worry. You could always use barrel screws or Chicago screws I’m stressed parts ? I use them and they work well.
I get crazy with the bonding part of making lol. I’ve done sheaths up to 10 layers thick and still going strong.

P9vS2XJ.jpg

Post # 666. Nothing more than just an interesting observation :)

P9vS2XJ.jpg

Nice...that a Gryphon in there?

Great looking compact sheath for the DEF/6”UF.
Need one to come North to PG Lorien Lorien

P9vS2XJ.jpg

Back