Lets see your CPK in Leather!

Should be receiving my identical tomahawk patterned Behemoth and HDFK sheaths from grogimus grogimus sometimes next week, but hey Grogie no pressure, right? :p

Nathan, you've slacking about showing us you sheathed Behemoth. I'd love to see a photo of you carrying that on you belt. Go ahead Nathan, make my weekend :)

Good, my sheath is next after yours!

Should be receiving my identical tomahawk patterned Behemoth and HDFK sheaths from grogimus grogimus sometimes next week, but hey Grogie no pressure, right? :p

Nathan, you've slacking about showing us you sheathed Behemoth. I'd love to see a photo of you carrying that on you belt. Go ahead Nathan, make my weekend :)

Pressure? Pfft. It's not like I stayed up till 7am sewing your pair up or anything.

ETA- That sounds messed up. And hilarious. Pair of sheaths. Sewing your pair of sheaths.

Pressure? Pfft. It's not like I stayed up till 7am sewing your pair up or anything.

ETA- That sounds messed up. And hilarious. Pair of sheaths. Sewing your pair of sheaths.

That's an early night for you! I think that we've had chatted well beyond those hours in the past on subject matters unsuitable for a family oriented subform! :)

Last edited:

In England they refer to something else also as sheath. In 'Murica, I think that we're good ;)

I don't like snaps on leather but I figured I'd try something different to carry a NASK in between doing some other leather. I even remembered to make it left handed- on purpose! It's a big moment for me.

nTJ8Jsq.jpg

That looks AMAZING sir. Why not a fan of snaps?
may we see a shot of the back where the ret strap ties in?!?!?? :)

That looks AMAZING sir. Why not a fan of snaps?
may we see a shot of the back where the ret strap ties in?!?!?? :)

It's probably just my own carelessness but I've had snaps wear out and cut straps on sheaths so I'm not a big fan. As long as I don't slice through the side or welt of a pouch sheath it can be maintained and retention can be retuned if needed. Plus there's my own limitations, if a snap is mounted inside the body of a sheath it has to be lined to protect the blade from the metal backing of the snap and without a sewing machine or a leather splitter that's quite a bit of extra work. So, nothing empirical, just my preference.

I just made the strap integral to the sheath body so I'm gonna be curious to see how cautious I need to be.

KQeWtTC.jpg

Here's the pattern I made for it, just reversed it for a lefty.

pK7PeT0.jpg

It's probably just my own carelessness but I've had snaps wear out and cut straps on sheaths so I'm not a big fan. As long as I don't slice through the side or welt of a pouch sheath it can be maintained and retention can be retuned if needed. Plus there's my own limitations, if a snap is mounted inside the body of a sheath it has to be lined to protect the blade from the metal backing of the snap and without a sewing machine or a leather splitter that's quite a bit of extra work. So, nothing empirical, just my preference.

I just made the strap integral to the sheath body so I'm gonna be curious to see how cautious I need to be.

KQeWtTC.jpg

Here's the pattern I made for it, just reversed it for a lefty.

pK7PeT0.jpg

Grog, it'd be very cool if you come up with a horizontal carry EDC sheath design with strap and snap arrangement as added protection. I know you can do it :thumbsup:

Grog, it'd be very cool if you come up with a horizontal carry EDC sheath design with strap and snap arrangement as added protection. I know you can do it :thumbsup:

I think it'd basically be just like the HDFK sheath above but minus the belt loop and with one or two straps wrapped around the body of the sheath to mount it horizontally. I did one horizontal sheath for an ESEE a couple years ago but I glued and sewed the straps on and I didn't like the thread being exposed when it transitioned from the straps to the sheath body. I like the ones I see with a removable screw shot through for retention instead of sewing them on but I need to find the right hardware for those. I really like the OP's EDC sheath, NJBillK NJBillK did a great job on that. Maybe sewing each section independently thus eliminating the transition from the straps to the body would be the trick.... Or I could use Chicago screws on the straps and keep a belt loop on so it'd be usable in different configurations...

Hey wait, you shut up! I've got enough to do right now! :D

I think it'd basically be just like the HDFK sheath above but minus the belt loop and with one or two straps wrapped around the body of the sheath to mount it horizontally. I did one horizontal sheath for an ESEE a couple years ago but I glued and sewed the straps on and I didn't like the thread being exposed when it transitioned from the straps to the sheath body. I like the ones I see with a removable screw shot through for retention instead of sewing them on but I need to find the right hardware for those. I really like the OP's EDC sheath, NJBillK NJBillK did a great job on that. Maybe sewing each section independently thus eliminating the transition from the straps to the body would be the trick.... Or I could use Chicago screws on the straps and keep a belt loop on so it'd be usable in different configurations...

Hey wait, you shut up! I've got enough to do right now! :D
Lots of food for thought, though I have tried a few ways for my Becker BK11 and I have found a few that worked with an aid for security.

The one I liked the best had a strap with a snap for retention, but had a grommet up against the foremost section of the finger choil on the blade, and a screwed post that would thread the grommet and act as a mechanical stop pin for the choil and blade.
20151022_150110.jpg 20151022_150105.jpg
The idea was given to me by a K. Rowe Pinloc Busse sheath that I had seen. They used the Talon hole for the retention point.
------
The knife mods and sheath below are my work.
Another option would be to do one piece front panel and just fold it back and stitch that down. This would eliminate all of the front strap and securing needs, while allowing for a larger canvas for your art.

Becker BK11 sheath I did along with all of the blade and handle work.
75476679-BADE-4945-A9C0-FF711F232714_zpso7cmfxh0.jpg

Thanks for the compliments on my EDC sheath. It means quite a bit coming from someone as skilled as you are.

Last edited:
Lots of food for thought, though I have tried a few ways for my Becker BK11 and I have found a few that worked with an aid for security.

The one I liked the best had a strap with a snap for retention, but had a grommet up against the foremost section of the finger choil on the blade, and a screwed post that would thread the grommet and act as a mechanical stop pin for the choil and blade.
View attachment 788840 View attachment 788841
The idea was given to me by a nameless Busse sheath that I had seen. They used the Talon hole for the retention point.
-----
Another option would be to do one piece front panel and just fold it back and stitch that down. This would eliminate all of the front strap and securing needs, while allowing for a larger canvas for your art.

View attachment 788843

Thanks for the compliments on my EDC sheath. It means quite a bit coming from someone as skilled as you are.

I dunno anything about anything amigo, your stuff is awesome. I don't like seeing mechanical stuff aiding in retention but I freaking love how you show it. I do like to get fancy pants with my sheaths, plenty of fellas do awesome work without any embellishment. No point in going down the road already traveled if that makes sense. I think making a coherent design then adding the straps or whatnot would preserve the looks the best. I wish there was something like BLADE for us dimwit leather workers, I love seeing new ideas!

I dunno anything about anything amigo, your stuff is awesome. I don't like seeing mechanical stuff aiding in retention but I freaking love how you show it. I do like to get fancy pants with my sheaths, plenty of fellas do awesome work without any embellishment. No point in going down the road already traveled if that makes sense. I think making a coherent design then adding the straps or whatnot would preserve the looks the best. I wish there was something like BLADE for us dimwit leather workers, I love seeing new ideas!
My apologies, rereading my post, I can see how it is likely to be taken as my work.
That black sheath is the nameless Busse sheath that inspired my usage.

The BK11 non-tooled sheath and blade work was mine though. Scales are black dyed curly maple. Mosaic and stainless pin, reshaped handle still fits factory FRN sheath, spine dropped and Swedge added, polished tang and ricasso mirror, satin blade.

Just an overhaul. The guy loved Beckers and wanted his EDC churched up a bit.

Thanks again, though I will not claim to make the sheath that is not my work. Though I do agree that I would love to have an "ideas thread" with just random pics of others work that we liked for inspiration.

Note, I am not condoning the copying of others work. But often times seeing another's work will inspire us to seek new solutions to a particular problem we may face, or see a solution in a variation that we haven't recognized before.

I did make a sheath similar to the black one above, but have since dismantled it and no longer use it. I found the button and pin to be overkill and an inconvenience for my daily usage. (Plus, now I carry my 4V EDC.)

Last edited:
I just beat the everloving shit out of my Beckers, they get no reprieve. They're the constant every other knife is measured against. It's not a bad thing. Compare a FK to a BK 16.. the 16 can't win, stock.

I love the look of several of the sheaths shown ... I'm hoping to find someone that will make me a couple for the new EDC2 ... when the pre orders get shipped ...

but I would like a leather sheath that hangs with the heel of the handle at or just below belt level ... and hoping for a one piece instead of a dangler to hold the knife from swinging.

If anyone offers anything like that or if someone that makes leather sheaths would be interested in helping me get a design figured out and build a couple for me ... or has a recommendation of who I might contact to see about such s sheath build ... please leave me a pm or email.

Thanks JJ

The idea was given to me by a nameless Busse sheath that I had seen. They used the Talon hole for the retention point.
-----
The above is not my work, below is.
If you know who made the sheath down above, please let me know. I would love to give credit.
-----

It may be MikeyMoto, he makes/made that style of retention for lots of Busses. I am not 100% that it is his work though. A couple of details look a little different than most of his work.

-----
The above is not my work, below is.
If you know who made the sheath down above, please let me know. I would love to give credit.
-----

View attachment 788843

You do excellent work! Regarding your unknown sheath, I believe it's made by K.Rowe (http://www.rowesleather.com/products_ks.html)

He's the only guy I've seen use that method of retention. I really like it, eliminates the chance of cutting a strap.

Back