Lets See Your Custom Southard!

TGD

As the title says.

I will start. Here's my first round of mods.
Before.....
image_zpsf4c90137.jpg

image_zps0d1dc7b0.jpg

After.....
image_zps6851be48.jpg

image_zps34fe87e9.jpg

image_zpsde640502.jpg

Next round....custom lockstop? custom pocket clip? custom scale?

Lets see your custom work:D:thumbup:

I was thinking about doing the exact same thing when I get mine, does the black look like the original black G10 from other spyderco knives or could you tell it's a dye job? Looks pretty good in the pics!

It looks like the black g10 that came on my para 2. Am still alittle skeptical to see how well it holds up to everyday pocket carry. I will keep you guys updated.

It's nice to see that Spyderco has decided to choose a different color g10 but i would've gone with black on that model and man does that black look good. Nice!

I'm diggin that black on it. I also like the brown G10. I have plenty of black so it'll do.

Looks great! I don't see the lanyard tube, was it flared on both ends?

I plan on getting some PCB etchant, and doing the pocket clip. I hate shiny pocket clips.

I plan on getting some PCB etchant, and doing the pocket clip. I hate shiny pocket clips.

I totally agree. Would love to see your results with the pocket clip, so I know what to do with mine.

As of now, I just took a black sharpie and colored it in, just so I could carry the knife. Doesn't last long though. Did the same with the PPT. Need to find a long-term solution.

Knives with shiny pocket clips are uncarried knives for me.

Mine is off getting a LSCF scale at Solo's. The dye job looks cool, keep us updated on how it holds up.

Looks great! I don't see the lanyard tube, was it flared on both ends?

No actually once I took the knife apart it fell right out. It could be reused but I oped for leaving it out.

Hi there!
I admire the B. Southard for it's handle to blade ratio but the blade tip has poked my thumb (drew a little blood) when i hurriedly took it out from my RFP. Instead of reaching for the handles scales, I accidentally pushed my thumb in between the handle straight to the blade tip! And for some reason, you can even open the knife by sticking your fingernail & pulling the tip out! Not so safe IMO.
So I decided to re-profile the tip about 2mm shorter, but still keeping the original form. Now it is about 3-3/8" or 86mm (from 3.46" / 89mm) over-all blade length.
I hope this would also give you guys an idea if you have the same problem. ;)

Cris

Attachments

• BStrd1.jpg
    BStrd1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 323
  • BStrd2.jpg
    BStrd2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 352
  • BStrd3.JPG
    BStrd3.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 348
  • BStrd4.jpg
    BStrd4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 342
  • BStrd5.jpg
    BStrd5.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 320
Hi there!
I admire the B. Southard for it's handle to blade ratio but the blade tip has poked my thumb (drew a little blood) when i hurriedly took it out from my RFP. Instead of reaching for the handles scales, I accidentally pushed my thumb in between the handle straight to the blade tip! And for some reason, you can even open the knife by sticking your fingernail & pulling the tip out! Not so safe IMO.
So I decided to re-profile the tip about 2mm shorter, but still keeping the original form. Now it is about 3-3/8" or 86mm (from 3.46" / 89mm) over-all blade length.
I hope this would also give you guys an idea if you have the same problem. ;)

Cris

I also noticed the problem. How did you reprofile it? On a grinder?

I also noticed the problem. How did you reprofile it? On a grinder?

Jtoler, i sent it to a cutlery store here who handles professional sharpening as I don't have tools myself. I believe it's from a grinder. I just marked out the profile I wanted. Hope this helps.

I have done the following to mine so far: rounded the clip and stonewashed it to match the blade. Knocked a bit off the scale thickness and smoothed it out so that it is less abrasive and the overall thickness is more uniform on each side. I also removed the lanyard tube and put a lanyard on the ti side only (strider style). Love this knife. I am probably going to have an OD Green Scale made in Canvas Micarta or textured G10 in the same dimensions as my modified stock scale. I really like the thickness it is at right now.southard clip.jpgSouthard scale.jpgSouthard scale thickness.jpg

Really like the look of the modified clip! I need to look at doing something similar since the clip is the only area that I don't love about this knife.

Back