LETS SEE YOUR EVERY DAY BEATER KNIFE

This M390 Delica looked like a true beater until 2 days ago. It was dirty, a screw was missing in the clip, the scales are worn, the blade was horribly scratched and about half the black was missing on the clip. Started with 220 grit and finished with 3000 grit hand sanding the blade. It's not a great polish job but it sure looks nicer than it did. Sanded the clip which had the benefit of leaving the Spydie logo nicely highlighted. Cleaned it up and reprofiled to 15 degrees. Finished by stropping to a nicely mirrored edge. I am very happy with the makeover. I wish I had taken a before photo.
View attachment 1373397

Should have gotten the before pic.. Better yet would have been a pic when new, then used, and again restored. Knives can have several lives.

I swear if I see one more perfect ZT I am going to throw up.

or
Sebenza
or
Hinderer
or
GEC
or ......
It does seem a LOT of the "What is Your EDC Today?" knives shown are taken from the safe for their picture. (and probably immediately put right back into the safe after the picture is taken.)
I don't have any "beater" knives, but I don't have any never carried, (for at least 1 or 2 consecutive weeks; 24/7 less the time I am in the shower) or unsharpened knives.

I don't think I've ever owned a "perfect" knife.
All mine (including the GEC's and Case knives I've been gifted) have a slight "can't see it unless looking for it with a bright light" gap or two, a corner of a cover just proud enough it can catch a thumbnail momentarily it you run it over the bolster/cover joint. Backpring(s) that aren't 100% flush with the blade in the open, half stop (when applicable) and closed position, and other minor "I don't care" cosmetic (note quotes) "defects".

All my knives were made by "humans", not gods,. "Humans" can (and do) make an occasional "oops".
Minor cosmetic defects don't bother me. Operational/Functional defects are another matter, however. :)

Last edited:
My beater for the last 4,5 years.
qZPvzTv.jpg

My most carried and used knife. Camillus made Buck 301 from 1971. It’s got a lot of miles on it. Blades almost 1/4 short from me being an idiot once. Blades also not nearly as wide as it was years ago. I work in the trades and this knife sees real work everyday.
I get an itch every couple years and venture into the modern folders but always find my way back here. View attachment 1374075

My most carried and used knife. Camillus made Buck 301 from 1971. It’s got a lot of miles on it. Blades almost 1/4 short from me being an idiot once. Blades also not nearly as wide as it was years ago. I work in the trades and this knife sees real work everyday.
I get an itch every couple years and venture into the modern folders but always find my way back here. View attachment 1374075

This is what I wanted to see and hear about. This is what it is all about.

Over 100 year old folder that I carry everyday as a secondary.. blades are still tight as a drum as well with no side to side play. The reason I carry it because its ease to sharpen + edge holding is still better than any modern iv'e known.

Shrade Cut Co. Stamp dates to approx 1915.
C7A3446E-74DE-41B8-81E3-32E0FBE1543B.jpeg
Open it up bro!

WOW! The 2000 Emerson CQC-7 is really special also becaue of the year. Love to see the original design (no wave) used all those years.
That's a keeper!

Thanks man! My dad bought this for me back in 2000. I carried it exclusively for a few years back then. I was unable to sharpen my knives with confidence back then and I used to stop in to the Local cutlery shop to have them sharpen it. The last time I was there, around 2004, one of the guys butchered the blade. I was so mad I tossed it in a drawer. But many years later I can appreciate the miles it has on it. Broken tip, butchered grind. But it’s still a beast, and clipped to my pocket as I type this. I love it and can’t ever part with it for many reasons.

The old Browning Barracuda on top is beat up, scratched up, and the clip is gone. The Cold Steel Medium Twistmaster in Carbon V is broke in well but still razor sharp! The Buck 301 on the bottom was carried everyday for probably five or six years while I worked at a service station and in an oil refinery in the mid/late 1970’s.

Back