Let's see your fish or hear some crazy fish stories.What your favorite fillet knife?

Well caught my first Musky in my life yesterday. Unintentionally.Was fishing for Walleyes and i'm guessing this big guy was trying to hit the big bright colored slip bobber i was using and he missed the bobber and i ended up hooking him on his stomach!:) We were fishing on a river in a boat and he kept trying to run into the bushes hanging on the edge on river dragging the boat all over the place. Was only using 6 lb. test and a medium light rod. I can't believe we got him in the boat. The length on this bad boy was 46 inches. I tried to weigh him but when trying to get the scale hook in his gills he thrashed his head like crazy and flung the scale in the river!:) Was thinking about mounting it but don't really have the $ for it. He made it back in the water safe and ending up swimming away even though the inside of the boat looked like a horror movie set with all the blood. But super stoked about catching my first Musky an experiance i'll never forget. Here's some pics. What's your crazy fishing story-stories? Let's see what you've been catching. What's yout favorite fillet knife? Mine is Martiinni 7 in. Fish on!

20140522_160216_zpse06cdbea.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140522_160152_zpsdcca557e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140522_160204_zps78e50608.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140522_160714_zpscfce4ccd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We were about 25 miles offshore trolling for dolphin. We had already hit a school and bagged a few really decent ones. After that initial contact it just went dead.

We were just sitting and half asleep as we listened to the relentless drone of the engine burdened by the two sea anchors as the boat bobbed and chugged slowly forward. I turned and gazed lazily at the captain who was my boss at the time. He was as gooned up as he could be but was still slightly conscious.

Suddenly our lines began paying out as the drags started screaming one by one. That got us going. There were four of us.

The engines were stopped and everyone began reeling in. Moments later it was clear that we ran into a school of barracudas as they began charging the boat and hitting it.

One of them actually leaped out of the water and into the boat. It thrashed around and cut my boss's ankle wide open with it's insanely sharp teeth.

We were still battling the other lines and the hammered captain was staggering about bleeding and cursing with the barracuda still bouncing around.

I put my rod back in the rod holder and grabbed the fillet knife. I tried to get a good vantage point to stab the hell of that fish but it was too dangerous. It was pissed. By now the deck of the boat looked as though someone was murdered.

I had to put down the knife and grab the aluminum fish bat. I beat the aquatic beast into submission and beyond. I was then able to catch my breath and throw the thing over board.

I turn and hear a thunderous boom! The inebriated captain had a .44 colt python and was shooting the barracudas as they got close to the boat when they were reeled in.

Oh it was a damned adventure man. I watched one of those things get shot straight through its head and still swim away. Albeit slightly wobbly and kind of sideways but it swam down into the depths none the less.

The captain tied an old fish slime covered t-shirt around his lacerated ankle and plopped back down in the captains seat and we finished out the day.

During the fall run on the Sacramento river while fishing from shore I hooked something big that once hooked it turned back down stream and started to run. All I could do was to resist putting my thumb on the spool of my casting reel as I watched the line on this spool go to the end. My drag was tight and the leader was 25lb test. Then pop, all my line was gone. Brand new expensive braided line I put on the day before. Then about 3 minuted later a fisherman down stream yelled out "hey I got your line, but it looks like your fish is gone", so I walked down the beach to retrieve my line when all of a sudden it tugged and almost pulled the unexpecting young guy over. I then picked up a stick off the ground and ran down there and started to hand wind the line onto this stick. Well as soon as it got to the end of the line the stick having no give the leader snapped and the fish was gone. I was still able to keep my line though. Then later that day on a different reel I managed to hook and land this 45lber. It was 45 inches long and 29 inches at he girth. Fishing can be a good day or bad day all in the same day. Favorite fillet knife. So far an 11" kershaw calcutta made in china. It seem to stay sharper longer than the others.

My fish story is a little different. I went home from the weekend from college and when i get back i find out that my roommate had a party and some drunk idiot thought it would be funny to get my fish drunk with vodka. He didn't die until the next week when the bowl was being cleaned and the girl we had doing it dropped him. RIP Clammy

newknif:I don't blame your hammered captain one bit for getting out the .44 and blasting
off a couple rounds considering the insanity of the situation.Although if it were me
woulda just have tried to cut the lines or something at that point but you guys sound like much
more troopers than I.Sounds completely nutzo hectic.The missing scene from Jaws vs. The Evil Dead 2 movie.
Would have like to have seen it.I think. :)

Surfingringo:The story about getting that Needle fish caught on your head is indeed a crazy one. Can't think imagine a worse scenario to happen.
Very impressive fish you catch out in the ocean.What's the name of the fish in the first picture?
Dang that thing is beastly.

High Desert:Is that some kind of humoungus Pacific salmon or what is that? Nice catch and also
a non-typical fishing day, huh.

Great stories and fish guys keep em coming.

Hey Ulf, that's a big red snapper. Cubera Snapper actually. That one was a nice catch because I scored him casting a lure. :)

Me and a couple buddies were spending the afternoon perch fishing between duck hunts one fall and I hooked into the Northern Pike pictured below. I had on light tackle so I had to let it run and it took so much line at one point we had to start up the motor and very carefully follow it so I could reel in some line. Finally got it in the boat after some considerable time. Not the biggest fish (17 pounds) but it was a fun catch.

In Canada during a fly-in fishing trip I had another Northern Pike go ballistic on me while I was trying to remove a crank bait from his yap. One of the hooks went right through my hand, so a buddy cut the barb off and we pulled it out.

My favorite filet knife is a Schrade Old Timer.

Sorry the pic is ruined with my ugly mug...

newknif:I don't blame your hammered captain one bit for getting out the .44 and blasting
off a couple rounds considering the insanity of the situation.Although if it were me
woulda just have tried to cut the lines or something at that point but you guys sound like much
more troopers than I.Sounds completely nutzo hectic.The missing scene from Jaws vs. The Evil Dead 2 movie.

Those ballyhoo rigs were in short supply. We had to keep them.

Hey Ulf, that's a big red snapper. Cubera Snapper actually. That one was a nice catch because I scored him casting a lure. :)

Sweet. Would like to go sea fishing and catch some of them real pre-historic looking monsters out there. The ultimate for big game fishing. I'm about as far from any ocean as you can get though in MN.But someday maybe.

Me and a couple buddies were spending the afternoon perch fishing between duck hunts one fall and I hooked into the Northern Pike pictured below. I had on light tackle so I had to let it run and it took so much line at one point we had to start up the motor and very carefully follow it so I could reel in some line. Finally got it in the boat after some considerable time. Not the biggest fish (17 pounds) but it was a fun catch.

In Canada during a fly-in fishing trip I had another Northern Pike go ballistic on me while I was trying to remove a crank bait from his yap. One of the hooks went right through my hand, so a buddy cut the barb off and we pulled it out.

My favorite filet knife is a Schrade Old Timer.

Sorry the pic is ruined with my ugly mug...

Nice catch.:thumbup: Love fishing for Pike. Ya it's the best when you get them on light tackle ain't it. :)I go for Pike more than any other fish. Their always bitting and they got lots of good meat even after getting all those Y bones out of them. I believe they call them the poor man's lobster.:) I ain't got a boat and can always catch them from shore.

Those ballyhoo rigs were in short supply. We had to keep them.

Oh. Gotcha. Ya yours is by far the craziest fishing story i've ever heard of. One that i ain't gonna forget.

Nice fish! This all has to do with knives how?

Don't wanna tlak about fish title says list your favorite fillet knife.:) Most have said what their's was. Was hoping somebody would list/show some nice custom ones. My broke a$$ can only afford Martiinni's and Normarks at the moment but gonna look into getting a custom with S30V, VG-10, M390 or something.

Dang Ankerson that knife looks sweet. Awesome review and testing as always too. 8 in blade is what i would like to get in a custom fillet too. Since your the guy to ask about steel performance how does the CPM 154 hold up to the likes of 154cm,VG-10, or S30V. A mini gripillian i had with the 154cm came basically dull new like my Adamas did also.But i can get my Adamas D2 hair whittling sharp and the 154cm didn't seem like it could take as good of an edge. CPM 154 in much better than 154cm as far as taking an edge and keeping it longer, correct? I was thinking if was gonna go custom would go with S30V, Vg-10, or M390. M390 is a stainless too right? With really good performance from what i've seen from your testing and others. I'm also wondering what in your opinion is the ultimate performance stainless supersteel?

Dang Ankerson that knife looks sweet. Awesome review and testing as always too. 8 in blade is what i would like to get in a custom fillet too. Since your the guy to ask about steel performance how does the CPM 154 hold up to the likes of 154cm,VG-10, or S30V. A mini gripillian i had with the 154cm came basically dull new like my Adamas did also.But i can get my Adamas D2 hair whittling sharp and the 154cm didn't seem like it could take as good of an edge. CPM 154 in much better than 154cm as far as taking an edge and keeping it longer, correct? I was thinking if was gonna go custom would go with S30V, Vg-10, or M390. M390 is a stainless too right? With really good performance from what i've seen from your testing and others. I'm also wondering what in your opinion is the ultimate performance stainless supersteel?

A lot of it's going to come down to the HT and tempering.

Steel choice for a fillet knife would be something to go over with the maker since he will be the one grinding the blade. :)

Fillet knives are different..... ;)

Have you tested a bunch of fillet knife steels and the best you thought was the CPM 154? Somebody was just asking me to look for a custom fillet knife for him and am trying to find a direction to point him in. There is a Buck fillet knife with S30V that i told him to go with maybe but he's probably got the money for a nice custom. So am wondering what you think the best steel for a fillet knife would be? I really like the design of that Phil Wilson one.

knives 056.jpg this is a nib like i carry fishing, my user looks far worse ! A Spyderco FB01 Moran Featherweight

Nice fish! This all has to do with knives how?

question ? looks like someone is trolling without a boat. :rolleyes:

Benchmade makes a good blade and plastic sheath for salt water bait cutting, flat point, nice in my ocean kayak. Saves me from stabbing myself. And the gut hook works nice for cutting line and I have even used it to land "toothy" fish in the mouth.

benchmade dive.jpg

Have you tested a bunch of fillet knife steels and the best you thought was the CPM 154? Somebody was just asking me to look for a custom fillet knife for him and am trying to find a direction to point him in. There is a Buck fillet knife with S30V that i told him to go with maybe but he's probably got the money for a nice custom. So am wondering what you think the best steel for a fillet knife would be? I really like the design of that Phil Wilson one.

That Buck in S30V should do well. :)

CPM 154 provides a nice balance I think, but still that's something to go over with the maker really as there is more to it than just hey I want a fillet knife...

Back