Let's see your fish or hear some crazy fish stories.What your favorite fillet knife?

Back in the 70's in Florida, used to go to a restaurant supply store and buy the used butcher knives they'd get from the local restaurants. These knives were worn down to nothing but you could still get them super sharp and they'd be thin enough they'd have the perfect flex for skinning salt water fish.

Best fishing story - Was fishing off the coast of Daytona Beach and ran into a huge school of king mackeral. This school was hitting the surface going after bait fish. I had a small spinning rod (just for this purpose) with a large spoon on it. I cast the lure out and it didn't even hit the water as a large king hit it while in the air. As I was only using 12 lb test, it took me over 20 minutes to get it close to the boat. As it got close, it wrapped the line around the anchor rope, so sticking my hands and rod in the water I unwrapped it, luckily the fish was worn out by this time. Finally, with the fish worn out, I had it within 3 feet of the boat when all of a sudden it was like someone had thrown a grenade in the water. The king went flying in two pieces and water was thrown all over the boat. It turns out that a huge barracuda had been waiting under the boat for me to bring him his dinner and he had hit is so hard the line popped and the fish was cut in two. I was just lucky he had preferred to wait for my fish and hadn't decided to take my arm off.

Last edited:
That Buck in S30V should do well. :)

CPM 154 provides a nice balance I think, but still that's something to go over with the maker really as there is more to it than just hey I want a fillet knife...

Ok. Think i'm gonna look around more and see what i can find . I'll tell him about this Phil Wilson too. I'm sure your review has made more than a few people buy his knives.:) The fact that it's custom with the CPM 154 makes me think i couldn't afford it but he might be able to.

Ok. Think i'm gonna look around more and see what i can find . I'll tell him about this Phil Wilson too. I'm sure your review has made more than a few people buy his knives.:) The fact that it's custom with the CPM 154 makes me think i couldn't afford it but he might be able to.

A lot of people bought his fillet knives long before I got mine as they are legendary in the industry. :)

A lot of people bought his fillet knives long before I got mine as they are legendary in the industry. :)

Just went to his website. Wow he makes some beauties. Got me thinking i might sell some of my folders to get one of those 9" Punta Chivato's. :) How much did the one you got with CPM 154 cost?

Just went to his website. Wow he makes some beauties. Got me thinking i might sell some of my folders to get one of those 9" Punta Chivato's. :) How much did the one you got with CPM 154 cost?

I don't remember off hand, you would have to contact him directly for pricing and to get on his list. :)

I had a really crazy one last year where I got a fish stuck to my head! :D I posted it on the spyderco subforum.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ory!-Thanks-Sal!?highlight=Hospital+dragonfly

And here's a couple of gratuitous fish pics from my kayak. ;)
E6566CA7-4358-4439-BB94-056E1CDA598F-9483-00000C8768AA312B_zps3942602f.jpg

E26152D4-4AE9-459F-B570-85F33DAA5B6A-8391-00000B0D13C302E5_zps59577c17.jpg

1529673F-D340-4912-BD7E-414243A20D5F-1938-000002CAABFE10FE_zps2f44e68b.jpg

null_zpsceb0697f.jpg

And here's some little barracuda. We don't shoot em, we eat em! ;):D
61A8A42B-48EC-4D04-A846-E2DA5FE3BD6A-9795-000012060C345FC9_zps313f449b.jpg

Man, you the most awesome fishin' pictures. That is one heck of a snapper, your expression is telling, "yea, we fought he lost". :thumbup:

Here's my filleting knife.

stainless is not compulsory I just wipe it after use.

my best snapper, I had it bone mounted. very happy with the result :) it needs some red led lights in the eyes for night time ...

Here's my filleting knife.

stainless is not compulsory I just wipe it after use.

my best snapper, I had it bone mounted. very happy with the result :) it needs some red led lights in the eyes for night time ...

Nice!
I don't do much fileting yet since most of what I catch are small rainbows and a Sharpfinger or my JK Galley Wag work really well for them. When I get off the road and start doing some more ocean fishing I will have one made similar to yours. It will probably be made from 52100 since I absolutely love the fine grain of that steel.

My current fillet knife is a buck silver-creek did the job on 40-50 sand whiteing a few months ago with just some little touchups on the stone. None of my fishing stories are that nuts, but I hooked a stargazer once while fishing in the surf. I was chest deep on the far side of a gutter, and the line acted like I'd caught a rock. I looked, but all I saw was clean sand. I was using a 13 foot medium action rod, so I gave it a yank, and the rock moved. My first thought was sting-ray, second thought, I'm tied to the damn thing! I didn't try to reel it in, just started running for shore, trying to hold the reel out of the salt, (I swim like a brick, so running was faster than any attempt at swimming) Plus it felt like I was towing a boat anchor behind me. I figured if I could keep it from digging back into the sand, I could bring it in to shore and deal with it safely instead of trying to unhook or cut the line in the water. Once I hit the dry sand, it was a pretty simple matter of reeling it in the rest of the way, and then I saw probably the ugliest fish I've ever seen. No real danger, but man my heart was pounding! In retrospect I should have popped the bail and just headed for shore instead of trying to tow it, but once I knew how far it was behind me, I think that made me feel better about the situation, instead of having slack line, but no way of knowing if it was chasing me or not!

hey protourist, that 52100 should do nicely. I had a filleting knife twice as long but found it a bit unwieldy. even on larger fish.
how do you prep the rainbows ? do you cook them whole ?

Rapala of course. Sturgeon, salmon, halibut, stripers, rock cod, albacore don't stand a chance. Neither does the salami I bring for lunch haha.

hey protourist, that 52100 should do nicely. I had a filleting knife twice as long but found it a bit unwieldy. even on larger fish.
how do you prep the rainbows ? do you cook them whole ?
I just gut them and SWMBO stuffs them with butter and herbs, wraps them in lotus leaves and grills 'em.

I was catfishing on a reservoir. Summer day, in my boat, barefooted and cats biting pretty good. I caught this small blue cat , not more than five inches long. I was reaching out to grab him when he flipped off the hook falling to the deck. His side fin impaled my middle toe. Oh, he was flopping around , digging that barb in . I pulled the little guy off and tossed him back. Then I laid there in agony. Ive been finned by cats hundreds of times but this guy did a number on me. I broke out in a sweat got pale and just laid in the boat with my foot hanging off the side and into the water . It only lasted a few minutes and I was back to catching cats.

First off: Surfingringo - your photos are always awesome and as a fellow kayak fisherman I always envy your catches.

My most memorable fishing story is from when I was probably 12 or so. We were fishing the mouth of a river that empties into a large resevoir. Just anchored and drowning a worm under a classic red and white bobber in some slack water hoping to catch some trout. Something starts nibbling on my hook just enough to barely move the bobber. I give it a few seconds of nibbling, set the hook and all of a sudden my bobber is gone and my drag is screamin'. After a fight I got it up to the boat and just as my mom grabbed the line it snapped. She managed to hold on enough to pull it into the boat and low and behold its a 32" landlocked salmon! We didn't even know they were in there but after researching, the resevoir was apparently stocked with them a few years before. Quite a suprise when your expecting to catch some 12" trout.

I haven't used many but my favorite fillet knife for now is a Dexter Russell 8" narrow sani-safe.

Tossed my '99 Dagger Sojourne into a "secret" little lake on Tuesday and this is what my catch looked like today!
A couple of those were a full 1 pound, 10 1/2".

When was the last time you had smoked bluegill?

My story isnt nearly as entertaining as some above, but a couple weeks ago my uncle took me striper fishing in north Georgia, and I managed to catch a decent one. It was the largest striper ive caught, and by far the largest ive caught throwing artificial lures. It was 20 lbs caught on 10 lb line. I was scared to death the entire time he was gonna break off, but thankfully I got em in the boat. Next time I go up im bringing my kayak. Hopefully I can hook into some more like this one. It may make for a better story!

Tossed my '99 Dagger Sojourne into a "secret" little lake on Tuesday and this is what my catch looked like today!
A couple of those were a full 1 pound, 10 1/2".

When was the last time you had smoked bluegill?

Those are nice slab bluegills Carl never had them smoked sounds great. Saw all those big pike you caught too in another thread. What lake you catch them on? You got a bunch of different good lake choices to fish at right by your house. I live about 45 minutes away from you. Caught that Musky on Lake Vermilion.

The best fishing of my life was 1. As a pre-teen in southern Ontario making and using my own roe bags, and catching Large Rainbows\browns running the creeks and rivers of Lake Ontario to spawn. 2. Having a 30 year native guide put me on a shoal at Lake Athabasca, over top of dozens of aggressive Lake Trout. It was so insane that if a fish tossed my yellow five of diamonds, all I had to do was keep reeling and another nailed it. B.T.W. I am obsessive about keeping my hooks sharp and always packing a hook sharpener. Learned that as a youngster. As for a filleting knife. I've had and lost many of them. Usually wooden handled Rapalla's. For a few years I had a home made filleter given to me by a guy that made them out of old hand saw blades. Currently I have a few Chinese made deals that sit in my kitchen knife drawer. I am just as happy, or even more so, to use my Becker BK-5 for filleting.

Last edited:
In any case, since the Skipjack is pretty much nothing, there is close to no limit district open. For the people who are scanning for a kayak to travel in, this is so far an unprecedented decision. Best Kayaks For Big and Tall Guys Notwithstanding the way that it has shaft holders mounted, veritable fishers may be disappointed with the additional room.

Back