Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Just got this very nice 144UH.

Hk1w35D.jpg
Nice looking knife, Jeff! It looks like it would fill the hand nicely too! -Lance

vu67qbU.jpg

Pawn shop was good today for me. Picked up this Fallkniven Frej NL4. Icing on this cake it was priced so low I think I scorched my wallet getting it out so fast lol. Well low for this knife anyways. Today I am happy
Edit: after getting home and doing some research online, the sheath is a JRE Industries, that's been modified. Its cut down some at the throat.Also I think the previous owner modified the swedge a little bit. The swedge grind is good but I believe the spine along the swedge been lowered and rounded some. Its really well done, but I can tell a bit of difference in the finish along the spine. Near the guard you can see the different layers of the 420j2 and vg10. Apparently this is the same Japanese steel Cold steel calls San-Mai.

Last edited:
Thanks, Duncan. Not in a league with that Fallkniven of David's, but I like 'em.
To be honest back in the day when Schrade was on top of their game, I don't think they played second fiddle to any production knife. Fit'n'finish wise the my Schrade PH1 I picked up awhile back doesn't give anything up to the Fallkniven. I can't wait to get them both out in the woods this summer and put them through their paces:D:thumbsup:

vu67qbU.jpg

Pawn shop was good today for me. Picked up this Fallkniven Frej NL4. Icing on this cake it was priced so low I think I scorched my wallet getting it out so fast lol. Well low for this knife anyways. Today I am happy
Edit: after getting home and doing some research online, the sheath is a JRE Industries, that's been modified. Its cut down some at the throat.Also I think the previous owner modified the swedge a little bit. The swedge grind is good but I believe the spine along the swedge been lowered and rounded some. Its really well done, but I can tell a bit of difference in the finish along the spine. Near the guard you can see the different layers of the 420j2 and vg10. Apparently this is the same Japanese steel Cold steel calls San-Mai.

Congrats to a great find!

Cold Steel San-Mai has a core of VG-1 where Fällkniven core for the NL series are Laminated VG-10.
Both are made by Hattori in Japan.
To my knowledge VG-1 is oriented towards toughness and VG-10 has more of edgeholding.
What to prefer is beyond my horizon, but I believe any Hattori made knife are of very high quality.

It looks like You are right about the spinemodification and it looks good to me.
My NL 4 has also got a light modification.
I found out that the handle worked better in my hands by turning it upside down, as it gets wider at the spine close to the guard.
I also widened the slot in the guard and moved it to a more centered position like the bigger NL's.
This improved handle ergonomics when using the knife under pressure.

Over the years I have set the edge to cope best with wood and today I look upon the Frey as a top choice in the 5" cathegory.

Enjoy!
Mikael

NYm5gSu.jpg
4kAQZg3.jpg
HQ6tfys.jpg

Not all of my fixed blades, but the ones I would consider my woodcraft blades.
The PH1 is just about perfect IMO, I've fallen in love with this blade. And I've got a feeling I'm really going to like the Fallkniven to.
In the bottom pics, from right to left
Schrade USA 152 Sharpfinger
Schrade USA 144 Guides Choice
Schrade USA Pro Hunter 1 (Bob Loveless design)
Browning 0260 Bushcrafter
Fallkniven Frej, Northern Lights series
Buck 119

Back in November, my good dog Acorn passed after a brief battle with cancer...she had been with me for thirteen and a half years. When I came to terms with the loss I asked Herman Williams to make me a knife to honor her memory. This Schrade 165 is a fitting tribute to the best friend I've ever had. The Blue Camel Bone handles are for the clear blue sky where she runs now. Herman recessed the handle pins and overlaid them with slices of Dog Paw mosaic pinsand then added two more per side. You'll notice the prints run toward the guard on the mark side and away from the guard on the pile side, much the way our daily lives circled around each other. He added in a serial number composed of her initials...Acorn Dog..and birth year, and my birth year and initials....then finished it of with some of his excellent file work and machine turning on the blade. After all the work he put into it he went one step further and gifted the knife to me. 165OT  - BLUE CAMEL BONE - DOG PAW MOSAIC PINS (1r).jpg 165OT  - BLUE CAMEL BONE - DOG PAW MOSAIC PINS (2r).jpg 165OT  - BLUE CAMEL BONE - DOG PAW MOSAIC PINS (3r).jpg 165OT  - BLUE CAMEL BONE - DOG PAW MOSAIC PINS (4r).jpg 165OT  - BLUE CAMEL BONE - DOG PAW MOSAIC PINS (5).jpg Thank you Herman.

What you got there Leghog, I like it? :thumbsup:
A knife I bought the knife from Jason Drevenak, owner operator of the North American Bushcraft School and a previous instructor at the Nantahala Outdoor Center's Wilderness Survival School. He said he made it (from a saw blade IIRC), and I have no reason to doubt that. He had it as a "not for sale" item at a show in Fredericksburg a few years ago but sold it to me. Here's the sheath the knife was in then (the sticker has "NFS" written on it).
Nessmuk%2520Sheath.JPG

A knife I bought the knife from Jason Drevenak, owner operator of the North American Bushcraft School and a previous instructor at the Nantahala Outdoor Center's Wilderness Survival School. He said he made it (from a saw blade IIRC), and I have no reason to doubt that. He had it as a "not for sale" item at a show in Fredericksburg a few years ago but sold it to me. Here's the sheath the knife was in then (the sticker has "NFS" written on it).
Nessmuk%2520Sheath.JPG

Thanks for the info, it looks like a real nice knife :) :thumbsup:

Back