Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Here is my "Before & After" clean-up of the old Western 46-5. This knife was well used, with file marks on the blade, light rust on the handle tangs, and verdigris on the sheath. While I don't normally clean older knives, I felt that this one could only be improved with a little TLC. Any thoughts, critiques?

Before
m1ZBK72.jpg

After
JtaDHo1.jpg

Here is my "Before & After" clean-up of the old Western 46-5. This knife was well used, with file marks on the blade, light rust on the handle tangs, and verdigris on the sheath. While I don't normally clean older knives, I felt that this one could only be improved with a little TLC. Any thoughts, critiques?

Before
m1ZBK72.jpg

After
JtaDHo1.jpg
I think it looks great. I would probably have left the patina on the blade, just because it wouldn't bother me, so I wouldn't put the the effort in. How did you clean the verdigris off the sheath?
Well done :thumbsup:

Thanks, Mike. I scrubbed the sheath with some leather cleaner from Johnston & Murphy, then put a little cordovan Kiwi paste wax on the leather and buffed it. The patina didn't bother me at all, but I wanted to smooth out some of the tool marks on the blade, so I may put a "purposeful patina" on it later on.

I came across a couple of knives while looking for a surplus sheath for my new Nieto.
You could do a lot worse than one of these Mark IIs for a sheath knife, though it might be easy to find a better picture.
jnee87R.jpg

That sheath works well for the Nieto, so I've ordered an empty one.
WxaXnJK.jpg

That's a better pic.
I also came across this sweet little Kinfolks, in a sheath that came with some home-made Scandis, none of which it fit.
RwOlv2a.jpg

I came across a couple of knives while looking for a surplus sheath for my new Nieto.
You could do a lot worse than one of these Mark IIs for a sheath knife, though it might be easy to find a better picture.
jnee87R.jpg

WxaXnJK.jpg

That's a better pic.
I also came across this sweet little Kinfolks, in a sheath that came with some home-made Scandis, none of which it fit.
RwOlv2a.jpg
What make is that MK2 , camillus ?

I wasn't thinking. That never happens!
I found this empty Case sheath which is a better fit for my Hungarian Dixon.
YnqDEm7.jpg

I only just realized that that leaves the Mexican sheath empty for my sheathless Olsen.
DTcKHfU.jpg

jnee87R.jpg

WxaXnJK.jpg

That's a better pic.
RwOlv2a.jpg

Cool knives there Jer, I'm glad you've been able to get them all trousered ;) Your new Nieto looks outstanding, looking forward to seeing more :cool: :thumbsup:

Cool knives there Jer, I'm glad you've been able to get them all trousered ;) Your new Nieto looks outstanding, looking forward to seeing more :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. I've never seen another like the Nieto or the Dixon, and I've looked on their sites. The Olsen says Howard City on it, but was probably assembled there from a German blade. I think Puma still makes a Bowie with exactly that blade. (And an expert in the Olsen thread said it was a German blade.)
I went a little high for me on the Nieto, but I got the Dixon cheap, probably because it is funny-looking and had a mis-matched sheath.

Thanks, Jack. I've never seen another like the Nieto or the Dixon, and I've looked on their sites. The Olsen says Howard City on it, but was probably assembled there from a German blade. I think Puma still makes a Bowie with exactly that blade. (And an expert in the Olsen thread said it was a German blade.)
I went a little high for me on the Nieto, but I got the Dixon cheap, probably because it is funny-looking and had a mis-matched sheath.

I found a site doing the Nietos, about 10 'Barbecue Knives', and some matching forks (no sheaths though). Nice haul my friend :) :thumbsup:

jnee87R.jpg

WxaXnJK.jpg

That's a better pic.
RwOlv2a.jpg

What model is that Nieto?

Before
m1ZBK72.jpg

After
JtaDHo1.jpg

Nice looking restoration, Jeff. :thumbsup: I think that was a good move, even with the clean-up it still is unmistakably vintage and still shows it has been used.
Love the blade profile.

Back