Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

This old Colonial just arrived,
It's not fancy but I've seen some pretty fancy expensive knives that weren't half as cool.
Just an awesome little bowie.

Can you imagine what someone back in the 30's would think if you told them their used dime store knife would sell for $35 in about 90 years?

And that grind! Beautiful!

Nope, wouldn't say it about anything.

An El Toro:

VGcke3g.jpg

liPcCDI.jpg

A Mestano:

bIPgzWQ.jpg

Had to get on the grinder this morning. I forget who posted it but there was a small knife made from a file and a couple of other posts showing beautiful bird and trout size knives.
Ground this one out of an old Oregon Swiss Made file. 6" OAL. 2.75"blade.

1TomuD0.jpg

Last edited:
I like the lines. I assume you anneal, grind, heat treat and temper?
These Swiss files are actually pretty hard. So I ground this one hard. But I have annealed, ground and re heat treated as well.
It can be tough to keep such a small, thin blade cool but is worth going slow as you don't have to re harden after.

Knice! I have a lot of old files, including some giant rasps. Maybe I should give it a try?
Give it a go! Smaller knives are preferred for this method as there is much less hardened steel to remove. This was once a chainsaw raker file. Go slow. I like to grind bare hands so I can feel the heat in the steel. If it is too hot for me to touch i had better take it for a dip. Dip often. If the steel discoloured anywhere past light yellow, you have compromised the heat treat. After dipping a wet blade absorbs a little heat and boiling water on the surface is a visual cue of letting the blade get hot. Watch the tip especially. It is so incredibly easy to burn the tip.

That caper looks to be really well-designed for getting into the corners of the eyes, etc. with your thumb and index finger on that choil or tang or whatever they call that part.

Here is a knife I have not pulled out in a while...almost forgot it was in my knife drawer. I definitely forgot how cool it looks. It is a Fiddleback Forge Camp Knife by Andy Roy from back in the 2000's. Unlike the current FF Camp Knife, this one has a full flat grind.

nCJaxbP.jpg

OyTQLGC.jpg

Had to get on the grinder this morning. I forget who posted it but there was a small knife made from a file and a couple of other posts showing beautiful bird and trout size knives.
Ground this one out of an old Oregon Swiss Made file. 6" OAL. 2.75"blade.

1TomuD0.jpg

Maybe that was the file knife I posted?

Nice work there, looks like.a great little knife.

Got a sheath planned ?

Back