Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

I found this in Geneva, NY. My first thought was, "Fifteen dollars!?". Sears Roebuck Germany.
wwFCk5q.jpg

Easily worth more than $15, even though I have to make a sheath.
0qNPUln.jpg
That looks like quite a nice knife there.
Great score for $15.

Got a new Kephart in today - a custom made by Mike McCarter out of Tennessee. Blackwood and O1 steel - it's a beauty and likely the best reproduction that one can have of the original Colclesser made Kephart.

U6S6xJe.jpg

It joins a rather lovely lineup of other Kepharts that I have acquired.

R63VjuX.jpg

Got a new Kephart in today - a custom made by Mike McCarter out of Tennessee. Blackwood and O1 steel - it's a beauty and likely the best reproduction that one can have of the original Colclesser made Kephart.

U6S6xJe.jpg

R63VjuX.jpg

Nice-looking assortment of Keps. :cool:

U6S6xJe.jpg

R63VjuX.jpg
A very nice new addition to your handsome Kephart collection Dylan :thumbsup:

U6S6xJe.jpg

R63VjuX.jpg
Does that McCarter Kephardt have a swedge on the upper half?

Nice-looking assortment of Keps. :cool:

A very nice new addition to your handsome Kephart collection Dylan :thumbsup:

Thank you, fellas. I am hoping to do a comparative write up/review in the coming weeks. The original Kephert/Colclesser design is chock full of simple subtleties - makers tend to hit or miss them.

Does that McCarter Kephardt have a swedge on the upper half?

It is difficult to describe what that actually is defined as. It is definitely a relief of sorts, but not a proper swedge (at least not how we define a swedge in modern knives). It mimics the relief found on the original Colclesser Kephart that this one is based off of - it is meant to assist in less binding of the blade when passing through various types of material (whether that be meat or wood). The Carothers version employs an experimental grind that is supposed to replicate the same function.

That was a long winded explanation. In short, yes, it is kind of a broad swedge.

Thank you, fellas. I am hoping to do a comparative write up/review in the coming weeks. The original Kephert/Colclesser design is chock full of simple subtleties - makers tend to hit or miss them.

It is difficult to describe what that actually is defined as. It is definitely a relief of sorts, but not a proper swedge (at least not how we define a swedge in modern knives). It mimics the relief found on the original Colclesser Kephart that this one is based off of - it is meant to assist in less binding of the blade when passing through various types of material (whether that be meat or wood). The Carothers version employs an experimental grind that is supposed to replicate the same function.

That was a long winded explanation. In short, yes, it is kind of a broad swedge.
I guess we could say the blade has a very rounded diamond cross section?

Wife bought me a forge. The slicer is 1080, first attempt at a forged knife. Was a shot at a Yakut knife. The opposite side had a forged fuller, and is flat. I ground out most of the fuller getting rid of the deep scale marks etc...

The bottom knife is my first attempt at a hidden tang. It was an experiment that came out pretty useful (thought the but cap, I accidentally put on up side down, so the marred side with punch marks is facing out...used a punch to tighten the tang slot. By the time I noticed it was bad side out, it was epoxied and peened.....don't do projects late in poor lighting!!

15n20 steel. .07 thickness....burned Hickory for the handle. Caps are also 15n20. I also made 4 small nails out of 15n20 and used them to keep the end caps aligned (just for fun).
pTGBMxE.jpg

The sheaths are wood core ?(my first and second attempt). The slicer has a 12 lb magnet in the sheath as well as the clip)

1XG3s8y.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a Scagle inspired knife I forged for my dad for Christmas this past year. Started as a 1/4 inch billet of 5160. I meant to leave more forged scale, but getting the blade geometry how I wanted it removed most of the marks I intended on leaving.

The handle pin is a ruined drill bit shank that I rounded off.

The handle is hickory. I used a knife to whittle the shape then hand sanded a bit.

Vulcanized spacers and micarta spacer. The guard is a piece of scrap mild steel I hammered for texture.
This was only my second attempt at a forged knife. First hidden tang.

yIRGBiC.jpg

Uk7MFGX.jpg

KiYU91K.jpg

hIwU7Xp.jpg

xAyCtux.jpg

vgHDjEL.jpg

xd2SEMV.jpg

Last edited:
Back