Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Kerry,

Your Case knives are just stunning. Super little collection of some great vintage fixed blade sheath knives. I love oysters so naturally I love the little Oyster Shucking knife as well!. Very unique, I have never seen one of those before now.:thumbup:

Well, I reckon I'm gonna have to come in with the basics and po boy pickins.

And this is a nostalgia buy I just got in the mail today. It's an older Imperial. How old? What model? I don't know, I was hoping you guys could help me. As a kid, my first knife was an iImperial fixed blade. It had the striped metal handle IIRC. I abused that knife, but I sure felt like quite the woodsman and cowboy with it. So when I found this one on ebay for cheap, I just couldn't resist. It also has that cowboy bowie look and some age on it so I also wanted it to resheath and stick on a gunbelt with a patinad Ruger Blackhawk.
Imperial.jpg

Hey, somebody has to represent the common knife!
Amos:
I had one when I was in Scouts in the late 1950's, just did the same thing you did, bought another on ebay for nostalgia. Actually holds a pretty good edge, and there is nothing "extra" to break - should last forever. Got the factory sheath with it, needs a bit of sewing, but all there.
This was the basic Imperial fixed blade hunter, don't know it it had a name or model #, but there were fancier models with deer or elk or some such on the fake bone scales, and some later ones with sawtooth top edges. I think they made similar knives for about 35 years.
You are right - the workingman's knife. They must have cost only a few bucks or I never would have been able to buy one back then.

Thanks for the pic.

mark

Amos Iron Wolf & dogngun,

Interesting read regarding you fellow's older Imperial sheath knife.

I thought I would add a vintage Imperial hunting / skinning sheath knife into the mix as well.. Here is one you don't see every day that a very kind bladeforums.com member sent me late last year that I am still learning about...

000_1827.jpg

000_1828.jpg

000_1829.jpg

I have never seen one like this before and must admit it has one of the most comfortable handles I have ever held onto, ever. And the carbon steel blade is hair popp'n razor sharp!.

I have always thought that most knife tasks can be performed with a decent small blade. These are three that I use, none were over $20.
HPIM0222.jpg

From Left to Right: Anza small hunter, Fury drop point, Imperial Apex small hunter
The Fury is approximately 15 years old, made in Japan and marked 440 steel. Holds a decent edge.

Last edited:
Nice knives, Tummler! Here's a WWII Hunter in stag. Most of the knives Bo produced during WWII were fighters, and most of the few Hunters that were made had stacked leather handles. This one is married to a Clarence Moore sheath, as Heiser didn't have a Hunter pattern at the time.

orig.jpg

Best,

Ron

Nice knives, Tummler! Here's a WWII Hunter in stag. Most of the knives Bo produced during WWII were fighters, and most of the few Hunters that were made had stacked leather handles. This one is married to a Clarence Moore sheath, as Heiser didn't have a Hunter pattern at the time.

orig.jpg

Best,

Ron

OOHHHH Ron,

As usual you are kill'n me with such beauty's with historic value!.:):thumbup:

And tummler, your killing me too.. :) Sweet Randall's one and all!!

Well guys & gals,

Here is another Jim Behring traditional fighter with some Randall influences that I really couldn't resist back around two weeks or so ago. This one has got 5 1/4 inch O-1 blade with a convex grind, Sambar Stag, Randall compass and Sullivan sheath..

Tonys2Treeman5inFighter2.jpg

Tonys2Treeman5inFighter1.jpg

Tonys2Treeman5inFighter3.jpg

Thanks, Sunny. Much appreciated. That's a heck of a Treeman fighter. I'll bet ol' Bill would have liked Jim, and he didn't like many people.

.. I'll bet ol' Bill would have liked Jim, and he didn't like many poeple.

Hey there Ron,

Yes, I know of Ol'e Bill's reputation and his dislike for some folks, and I would have to agree that you are right on the mark here with your statement..

Mr. Scagel and Mr. Behring would likely have gotten along famously I'd wager.:) Two fine Michigan'ers

Here is a wonderful old custom built fixed blade-sheath knife I have been longing for,, for almost several decades now from a very dear, dear friend of mine! I'd offered to buy this vintage hunting-skinning knife from my friend on multiple occasions shortly after I met him and really got to know him some 17 years ago. It was the only knife he still had by this particular maker that wasn't already used, and used hard!. The maker went by the name RED to his friends. But, went by KENTUCKY RED to the general public. I am told by my friend and my friends cousins that he had a dark red head and a dark red beard to match, but I never met the maker(he has supposed to have passed on a while ago).

I always admired this knife because I had seen evidence many times of such fine and short work my friend had made of quite a few deer after our hunts from other similar custom knives produced by this same maker.

Yesterday, I went over to his stilt built home in the swamp for a short visit,, and to my astonishment, he pulled out some venusian chops from the freezer to offer me,(which is pretty normal) the astonishing part came from underneath the white colored wax butchers paper containing the deer meat.. in a zip-lock freezer bag was the knife I had been after him about for so lonnnnng!.:eek::eek:

000_1889.jpg

Something inside me let go and I started to tear up in his presence, which is not something one does normally, at least not something I have ever done in my friends presence. I gave him a big ole hug, and we pulled a way PDQ and I put my Ray Bans on over my face just as quick as could be, Thanking him over and over and over..

You couldn't have made me happier if'n you had just handed me an old Randall or Ruana at that moment..:thumbup:

Excuse my excitement here, but I wanted to take the first photograph to share with you all.. More to come here soon.

Sunnyd...you ole big hearted softie :) I bet that knife fits perfectly in the hand and it looks very well made.

Nice blade, sunnyd.

Thanks sixgunner,

I am sure to most of the folksy gang here she ain't all that much to look at, but she is one very solid CUTTING TOOL.. And as I have said. I have seen her little sister knives in action in the hands of my friend.. From her fine design to her select materials and the forging, hammering, grinding, shaping and honing that all went into her in between this whole process.. She has a drop point, nearly 4 3/4 inch Hi-Carbon steel blade that shaves hair and is literally hair popp'n sharp. Brass single guard, thick black spacer, thin brass spacer and vintage large whitetail stag tine handle. Total length is 11 inches overall.

000_1890.jpg

000_1891.jpg

Unfortunately their is very limited information about this fellow KENTUCKY RED. I would love to know more about the maker of this knife. If anyone recognizes the style of this knife or the tang stamp here, Id be very much obliged for any and all information regarding this blade.

Well, I don't know anything about the guy who made your knife, but what I see is clean grinds, nice swedge, well-done solder, nicely shaped guard, and a uniform polish. Not a famous maker, but from the looks of things, one who took what he did seriously.

First two - a couple of John Greco's, a Vollmer, a $34 Buck 119, and a $25 closeout Safe-Grip Marbles Gladstone-made CS.

IMG_0360_edited.jpg

Stainz

Sunnyd...you ole big hearted softie :) I bet that knife fits perfectly in the hand and it looks very well made.

Yup that's me, hard as rock and a thick scull to boot on the outside. And all soft and chewy on the inside.:D:D

Yes Kerry, large handled fix blades are very versatile while working on game sometimes you need to choke up or down on the handle to get the desired angle in certain situations. She is a joy to hold. I can't wait to put her to work.

I haven't seen this knife of mine for over 40 years and it was returned to me just yesterday after decades of hiding in a box. I don't even remember using it and it doesn't appear that I had. They always seem to come back around.
Greg

orig.jpg

And this is a nostalgia buy I just got in the mail today. It's an older Imperial. How old? What model? I don't know, I was hoping you guys could help me. As a kid, my first knife was an iImperial fixed blade. It had the striped metal handle IIRC. I abused that knife, but I sure felt like quite the woodsman and cowboy with it. So when I found this one on ebay for cheap, I just couldn't resist. It also has that cowboy bowie look and some age on it so I also wanted it to resheath and stick on a gunbelt with a patinad Ruger Blackhawk.
Imperial.jpg

Hey, somebody has to represent the common knife![/QUOTE]

I have that same knife. I got it in a set with an axe and a SAK type knife. I still have the fixed blade and the axe, cant find the folder.

Back