Let's see your leather pants!!!

Crazy timing, she just came inside and had a present for you in the back yard.😉

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just put it in one of those thick, foil bags so it's still warm when I get it.

Ok ok, now back to the leather talk!

Some in progress pics..

96d3c706164a08bf4cec18833cdad5b7.jpg

549a8d1bc775d6427ae3c34e3e24ade8.jpg

3810c4250026f1342bfab94eead23c46.jpg

1867316f310f30b8c6335c6b781451c3.jpg

32cfb68f84ca4dca0bdadecb8e4207cb.jpg

690e1a941d2940784cdd3d5dd9258112.jpg

46af8f22d4ea1e2404932eaefe1ecfc5.jpg

20c888749e1c3f02dab9c5dd1603da3f.jpg

6f941a26141c4e86e11446b26c4b3f15.jpg

[emoji7]

^^^ after all that's said and done, all which that matters is who or what had felt the gentleness of your touch and appreciated the power of your love ;)

Those pocket sheaths look awesome man. How do you go about your stitching? I use an overstitch wheel and punch the holes with an awl chucked up in my drill press but it seems like there's a lot more than two ways to skin a cat. Regardless, that is some clean stitching!

All of those are actually belt sheaths. I usually have a traditional in the left pocket (Case or GEC) and a bigger modern folder in the right pocket (Spyderco, Benchmade, Chris Reeve, et al.). These are knives I hand to someone who needs a knife for something (we all know how that story goes). These are low to mid tech and not that expensive to "loan out" and come back damaged by some noob or non-knife person.

I should have included a pic of the backs but it seemed irrelevant at the time.

All of those are actually belt sheaths. I usually have a traditional in the left pocket (Case or GEC) and a bigger modern folder in the right pocket (Spyderco, Benchmade, Chris Reeve, et al.). These are knives I hand to someone who needs a knife for something (we all know how that story goes). These are low to mid tech and not that expensive to "loan out" and come back damaged by some noob or non-knife person.

I should have included a pic of the backs but it seemed irrelevant at the time.
Thanks man, I'm just one curious cat. I've been considering doing some pocket sheaths for some smaller knives like the 2.7, 3.5, and similar sized knives, a front pocket clip or something to hold it in the pocket. Still trying to figure how it should all go together.

Thanks man, I'm just one curious cat. I've been considering doing some pocket sheaths for some smaller knives like the 2.7, 3.5, and similar sized knives, a front pocket clip or something to hold it in the pocket. Still trying to figure how it should all go together.

I want to do the same thing. I've got a few traditionals I'd like to carry without fear of scratching them up with keys and change. I'd love to see the pics of the pocket sheath you come up with for the GSO 2.7. I ordered mine pantless because at the time, I thought I would still have my shop set up and could bang out some custom kydex for it. It was late, we moved, and the shop is not set up yet so I can't carry my new little toy. Maybe I'll try to bang out a rudimentary pouch tonight (without all my normal leather working tools).

I also had a question. It looks like one bottle of Makers Mark for every 3 sheaths? Is that correct? I'd like to know if I'm close. :D

Not to derail, but love the MM but also recently tried Wellers Reserve. Very smooth.

Those pocket sheaths look awesome man. How do you go about your stitching? I use an overstitch wheel and punch the holes with an awl chucked up in my drill press but it seems like there's a lot more than two ways to skin a cat. Regardless, that is some clean stitching!

Sorry Grog. I never answered your question. I use an overstitch wheel now and/or the fork tool (see, I don't even know what it is really called). Four prongs. Hammer it through and then line up the next holes from the previous ones. Sometimes I use my drill press but the fork seems to be better and definitely more consistent. It only takes one errant hole on the drill press to ruin the whole sheath.

I want to do the same thing. I've got a few traditionals I'd like to carry without fear of scratching them up with keys and change. I'd love to see the pics of the pocket sheath you come up with for the GSO 2.7. I ordered mine pantless because at the time, I thought I would still have my shop set up and could bang out some custom kydex for it. It was late, we moved, and the shop is not set up yet so I can't carry my new little toy. Maybe I'll try to bang out a rudimentary pouch tonight (without all my normal leather working tools).

I also had a question. It looks like one bottle of Makers Mark for every 3 sheaths? Is that correct? I'd like to know if I'm close. :D

Not to derail, but love the MM but also recently tried Wellers Reserve. Very smooth.

I'm still at the sourcing good clips point, seems that they would be the weakest link.

I think the bourbon:sheath ratio varies depending on the level of headache they give me. I had a little bit of a bottle of Weller's Barrel Strength, it was pretty amazing, not on the shelves very often though.

Sorry Grog. I never answered your question. I use an overstitch wheel now and/or the fork tool (see, I don't even know what it is really called). Four prongs. Hammer it through and then line up the next holes from the previous ones. Sometimes I use my drill press but the fork seems to be better and definitely more consistent. It only takes one errant hole on the drill press to ruin the whole sheath.
I've gotten pretty consistent with the drill press but did this with my last set of sheaths...

7089d456f67c48161bf673cae93ee0fe.jpg

Poor chiral, I had to restart his Gerber sheath. I was going along fine then I had to stop, the last two holes ruined the whole thing. Might be time for me to switch to the prong thingamajigs, that's a lot of work to have to scrap it at that point.

I've gotten pretty consistent with the drill press but did this with my last set of sheaths...

7089d456f67c48161bf673cae93ee0fe.jpg

Poor chiral, I had to restart his Gerber sheath. I was going along fine then I had to stop, the last two holes ruined the whole thing. Might be time for me to switch to the prong thingamajigs, that's a lot of work to have to scrap it at that point.

Yeah that is a bitch when that happens. What I finally figured out after around 25 sheaths is glue up and sand your edge before your stitch groove. Once your edge is even , use the stitch groover on both sides. Chisel one side, use an awl to set the first stitch on the back, then chisel the back side. Definitely gives a more rugged look than drilling. Never had the desire to drill leather. Nice tooling on your sheaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up one of the Sagewood 1st gen 4.1 sheaths last week that are on sale at the S/K! store.
Very nice for the money, pretty hard to beat quality wise. They come set up for a right handle scout carry but everything is interchangeable which is good because you have to do just that to mount the leather belt carry strap. I was surprised at how few of the 4 inch blades I own actually fit this sheath mainly due to that kydex cover on the leather strap makes your handle choice have to be on the thinner side. So my LTWs, BHKs and similar were a no-go but my edc-4 fit perfectly which was nice as I don't own a 4.1 at the moment.

Finally got the basic pattern cut for Chiral's sheath today. The leather is super stiff so I folded it and its clamped between the table and a 2x4. This will help that joker stay folded over while I glue in the welt and then stitch it up. Its just going to be a plain black pouch sheath with a rpunded bottom that follows the belly of the knife. Tomorrow I will get the welt cut and then i may wet fit the sheath to the knife before I glue and stitch. The most difficult part for me is sizing the sheath correctly. I meed to devise a repeatable system for that.

I was thinking of measuring the circumference of the thickest part of the handle with a string then measuring the length of the string and use that to determine the width of the pattern before I cut it.

I typically do a paper model like that, and add quarter to half an inch for the welt and some air. Works ok but you never know until the end how it will fit, so some goes in the bin.

I was thinking of measuring the circumference of the thickest part of the handle with a string then measuring the length of the string and use that to determine the width of the pattern before I cut it.

Pick up a flexible rollup sewing tape. A couple bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics! Got the pattern and welt cut. Roughed up the surfaces and got the belt loop glued and stitched and the welt glued in. Final steps are to trim up and finish the edges, then cut the groove and mark it for stitching. Then a stitch line and shes done. Depending on the fit, I will wet mold and then soak in obenuaffs conditioner.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag453/Riz2530/Cool%20stuff/384D5BF7-AD15-4FBB-867F-E0BD0BB702CD_zpskzzpkbxr.jpg[/IMG]

[/URL

[URL=http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/Riz2530/media/Cool%20stuff/D237C6CA-81B9-4ADE-8C0E-F0C9C333E911_zpsjyjt5qs9.jpg.html]

Last edited:
Back