Let's see your Osprey K/T

Hope I don't drop it in the blizzard next week...

33346961606_f12284bce4_c.jpg

dc1973e3b1b85cfdbe65ad841efcfb57.jpg

On loan from the gentleman of the feral persuasion... proper initiation first! Matè time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not familiar with Maté, I like a lot of different teas never had this one. Nice to see you and the Raptor getting properly acquainted.

I'll be careful Phil!! The orange liners do well setting off the scales which have zero voids btw. My knife background immediately has me thinking of boning out a whitetail or hog carcass. It's got that meat purveyor knife look to my eye, and yet it's a tad more assertive, well maybe more than a tad. I like it!!

Douglas, I am certain it will perform well, I originally designed the Raptor to be a medium B&T as well as Performing exceptional in cleaning and boning medium to large game, with an emphasis on offensive and defensive applications too. I would be excited to see that, I have had a few people give me excellent feedback cleaning large game. The trailing point feature is not everyone's cup of tea(Pun intended) for cleaning game. I happen to fall on the side of the fence that finds this blade geometry extremely useful.

I waited a long time for this Mamushi, and while there were bumps in the road along the way, the story of this knife has added so much to it, for me. Here are a couple of photos from its first day out. More to come...

DSC00046 by adam klagsbrun, on Flickr

32965036390_275777e067_k.jpg
[/URL]DSC00054 by adam klagsbrun, on Flickr[/IMG]

Glad to see you out and about with the Mamushi, I look forward to seeing more pictures of this knife. I really like the Flamed Box Elder Burl, and this piece was the nicest I have had the pleasure of working with so far.

Awesome Photo Danny, I found myself staring at it multiple time. I hope you don't lose it either. I am sure Douglas would be up there in a jiff to help you find it if that happened. LOL
I am glad you got your hands on an Hunter to play with, that one is quite the specimen as well. Built like a brick house!!

I look forward to seeing what you get into with it!

Last edited:
That looks nice Jerry! How's it doing for food prep with that additional clearance?

Thanks.

I love the additional clearance and profile on this knife! Performed very well in the kitchen and whatever I needed it to do. Carried it for almost 5 days straight and it didn't even feel like a bigger knife. It's permanent set of pants is a JouFuu HB-2 sheath and it fits nicely in there with just the right amount of handle sticking out.

Jerry, I've been using Danny's Raptor in the kitchen and love it! However for "dicing"...yes I do a lot of that...I like the taller blade profile of that CF Apache? can't wait to see what Chris comes up with for K-variants tomorrow!

Last edited:
^Beautiful shot Danny! That photo reminds me of the curiosity that J-Dog always showed when I was doing something with my knives.

I hope that you enjoy many years of adventures with Tater.

Phil

^Beautiful shot Danny! That photo reminds me of the curiosity that J-Dog always showed when I was doing something with my knives.

I hope that you enjoy many years of adventures with Tater.

Phil
Thank you Phil. He's my old man. I find it hard to believe that he will be 9 this summer. I do hope he has many more years with us... we still have quite a few more trails to explore together.

Depending on what is being cut, he shows as high of an interest in the knives as I do.

Man OH Man.....I'm going to send you all my blades just so YOU can photograph them!!

Apache in the rain.

I am starting to see what I have been missing and what a few of you like so much about this profile. Douglas, I think it's more the artistry in the knives that make some of the pictures stand out more ;)

A comparison pic along side a Hunter is in the "Osprey K&T Comparison Photos" sticky

33666820296_545452c91f_c.jpg

Apache in the rain.

I am starting to see what I have been missing and what a few of you like so much about this profile. Douglas, I think it's more the artistry in the knives that make some of the pictures stand out more ;)

A comparison pic along side a Hunter is in the "Osprey K&T Comparison Photos" sticky

Well it does help to have a subject with beauty. Photography is a matter of subject and light absolute. You definitely bring those two together most often!

Danny,
Thank you for sharing all of you pictures and adventures with us, mesmerizing and captivating photographs as always! I especially enjoy seeing the Ospreys with Tater!:thumbup:

Hunter out and about. The near matching loaner Apache arrived the other day, so I am excited to get out and explore the new-to-me OKT model.

33124733310_dc0fbc0db9_c.jpg

33351864712_0702834a13_c.jpg

Tater doing a hand dump with a Hunter

32764934903_5bd9379fa0_c.jpg

Hunter in a tree stand

33691759825_0e671e2ae2_c.jpg

The Apache, thanks to Douglas, is also in town for a visit.

33651039786_24c0b3c7a0_c.jpg

Apache in the rain.

Glad to see the Apache is soaking up some of that gorgeous Texas sunshine Jerry! You sure do have a looker there, I really like how the weave looks after the knife is contoured.
Thank you for sharing!

OspreyNomad#4.jpg OspreyNomad#1.jpg OspreyNomad#3.jpg OspreyNomad#5.jpg Below is an excerpt taken [with permission] from a conversation between Osprey Knife and Tool's Chris Linton on IG yesterday 04/27. It is my lazy way of writing a post about a new blade of Chris's, the Nomad.

"Did your Nomad arrive on time?"

Hey Chris, Yes it did Earlier than expected really! Nice packaging btw.
OspreyNomad#4.jpg

"Thank you, I am glad you like the new packaging, how do you like the knife, any initial impressions?"

Just made a BBQ pork sandwich in which i sliced a chunk of pork shoulder that would appear too big a task for this blade. Even though I used a slice and chop method I was immediately surprised. A tomato was next. Again the diameter of the tomato being greater than the length of the blade, with a little finesse it sliced as shown. The green onion was appropriately defenseless. The Nomads usefulness is somewhat betrayed by its light weight and relatively small size.
OspreyNomad#3.jpg OspreyNomad#1.jpg

"Man that's great feed back! I plan on expanding the lineup. I was aiming for a Sub 6inch knife on this one"

I'm putting this one in my food prep lineup starting now. I might after a couple of weeks ask my son-in-law to test it out in his kitchen. He's the executive chef at our local fine dining establishment..."

"Could you tell the difference in the performance on the steel thickness?"

That's actually the first thing I experienced slicing through cold pieces of BBQ. I'll admit to being unsure how it would handle it until a microsecond after the first cut. I'm still learning about things I thought I already knew about knives. Which is a real pleasure.
View attachment 700953

larger to scale versions of the Nomad with say, a 6-8 inch and an 8-10 inch blade would be, in my humble opinion, an exceptional home kitchen as well as professionals knife set.
Consider this My Wish List.

I forgot to mention the ergonomics of this handle. Somehow you nail it every time.
Bottom line Chris, IMHO, as a food centric person who is in the kitchen everyday the Nomad is deceptively functional, I suspect its niche for me will be for making precise cuts. Though you can be sure I'll be testing its limits. This thing fits very well in my hand and I suspect might do so for a wide range of hand sizes.
I've got a good collection of your knives going. I'll be adding to it. Anyway I love being surprised by using fine knives,...like this one
Thanks Chris

Last edited:
Back