Let's see your Osprey K/T

Good stuff varga49 varga49 The Nomad and prototype #2 look pretty intriguing from that last batch of knives. Both appear to be nimble and slicey with the #2 more dedicated to the kitchen block and the Nomad being a small kitchen/light ed utility knife. I would bet that like the EDU, the Nomad would surprise you with its usefulness even being a 3 finger knife for a lot of people. I'm thinking handle configurations on a Nomad now... Maybe black g10 over TS Kevlar or ivory g10 on black.

I'd like to see that Sammich in person personally

I'm with you Warrior108 Warrior108 I have had the same handful of knives out for some time now. I need to pull some different models from the depths of the dungeon.

prom52 prom52 that Koa Razorback is a gem, I think Chris is hoarding all his nice wood for Blade Show knives...

View attachment 700943 View attachment 700944 View attachment 700951 View attachment 700952 Below is an excerpt taken [with permission] from a conversation between Osprey Knife and Tool's Chris Linton on IG yesterday 04/27. It is my lazy way of writing a post about a new blade of Chris's, the Nomad.

"Did your Nomad arrive on time?"

Hey Chris, Yes it did Earlier than expected really! Nice packaging btw.
View attachment 700943

"Thank you, I am glad you like the new packaging, how do you like the knife, any initial impressions?"

Just made a BBQ pork sandwich in which i sliced a chunk of pork shoulder that would appear too big a task for this blade. Even though I used a slice and chop method I was immediately surprised. A tomato was next. Again the diameter of the tomato being greater than the length of the blade, with a little finesse it sliced as shown. The green onion was appropriately defenseless. The Nomads usefulness is somewhat betrayed by its light weight and relatively small size.
View attachment 700951 View attachment 700944

"Man that's great feed back! I plan on expanding the lineup. I was aiming for a Sub 6inch knife on this one"

I'm putting this one in my food prep lineup starting now. I might after a couple of weeks ask my son-in-law to test it out in his kitchen. He's the executive chef at our local fine dining establishment..."

"Could you tell the difference in the performance on the steel thickness?"

That's actually the first thing I experienced slicing through cold pieces of BBQ. I'll admit to being unsure how it would handle it until a microsecond after the first cut. I'm still learning about things I thought I already knew about knives. Which is a real pleasure.
View attachment 700953

larger to scale versions of the Nomad with say, a 6-8 inch and an 8-10 inch blade would be, in my humble opinion, an exceptional home kitchen as well as professionals knife set.
Consider this My Wish List.

I forgot to mention the ergonomics of this handle. Somehow you nail it every time.
Bottom line Chris, IMHO, as a food centric person who is in the kitchen everyday the Nomad is deceptively functional, I suspect its niche for me will be for making precise cuts. Though you can be sure I'll be testing its limits. This thing fits very well in my hand and I suspect might do so for a wide range of hand sizes.
I've got a good collection of your knives going. I'll be adding to it. Anyway I love being surprised by using fine knives,...like this one
Thanks Chris

Douglas,

Thank you for sharing this on the forums, I think it is pretty cool to be able to get as close to instantaneous feedback as one can get through Instagram messenger and enjoyed having our conversation as well as many other we have had on that platform.

That sandwich you made had me hungry, the brisket(?) looked especially well cooked! I have to say if there is one thing I miss about Texas was the BBQ, it's different than what I am used too back home, but I enjoy it just as much!

So far out of the all I have heard feedback about all 4 of the Nomads, I really appreciate and value when someone takes the time out to share their thoughts when acquiring a knife from me whether it's your 1st or 10th.

I look forward to hearing from you as well as the others as you get acquainted with the Blade. and per our conversation. I plan on making more and expanding on the design as well.

One of my personal favorites......The Razorback

DSC00334_zpsrgnooyxs.jpg

This particular knife is one of my favorites as well, I have a weakness for Koa and this was an exceptional piece, and the knife came together flawless as well!
Thanks for sharing Peter it was really knife to see this one again. Like seeing an old friend!

Douglas,

Thank you for sharing this on the forums, I think it is pretty cool to be able to get as close to instantaneous feedback as one can get through Instagram messenger and enjoyed having our conversation as well as many other we have had on that platform.

That sandwich you made had me hungry, the brisket(?) looked especially well cooked! I have to say if there is one thing I miss about Texas was the BBQ, it's different than what I am used too back home, but I enjoy it just as much!
33390166944_99de636923_z.jpg
Actually That was Pork Shoulder Roast that I BBQued...I couldn't wait for the picture and took a bite! If I do say so, that was a mighty fine "Sammich"!

I took possession of this a couple days ago after purchasing it from @Fiddleback Outpost

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool Wow, this is just a warm handsome knife!! (if that makes sense?) I love the Buckey Burl and the red liner is very deceiving. You are hardly able to tell its there but yet it is, and I feel like it enhances the colors in the wood. The handle is super thin and extremely comfortable. As far as pictures go, I just am swamped with work lately and I just can't imagine taking a nicer picture than Robert has already. He's just nailed it, from every angle (pun intended).

yBurlBlackLinersDarkRedStripes-vi.jpg

I took possession of this a couple days ago after purchasing it from @Fiddleback Outpost

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool Wow, this is just a warm handsome knife!! (if that makes sense?) I love the Buckey Burl and the red liner is very deceiving. You are hardly able to tell its there but yet it is, and I feel like it enhances the colors in the wood. The handle is super thin and extremely comfortable. As far as pictures go, I just am swamped with work lately and I just can't imagine taking a nicer picture than Robert has already. He's just nailed it, from every angle (pun intended).

That's Extraordinarily Beautiful! Congratulations Jerry!

AH!!! I wondered who got this one! It was one of the first I saw that I wanted to grab up but was gone. Good score Jerry. It's stunning! Let me know if you ever want to move that one. I would like dibs on it.

I received my Koa Raptor's yesterday and I'm totally amazed by their stunning beauty. I had not at first but I'm so glad I purchased both of these. Even though in the photos they appear to be similar, you can really see the difference in person from the angles, blade design and cutting edge. I'm scared to dirty them up! Just look at the Koa! Whew! It is mesmerizing. Thank you Chris for a fantastic job on these. I feel lucky to own such beautiful pieces. :D

nogxII3.jpg

^Gorgeous matched duo Eric! Koa is one of those woods that ages well and retains its original beauty and chatoyance. I am glad you pulled the trigger to get both. Raptors handle like a finely tuned exotic sports car, especially with the thin tapered stainless Chris uses. Some of your other thicker knives will start to feel like driving a mini-van by comparison after you start using the Raptors.

Congratulations again on the great scores!

Phil

^Gorgeous matched duo Eric! Koa is one of those woods that ages well and retains its original beauty and chatoyance. I am glad you pulled the trigger to get both. Raptors handle like a finely tuned exotic sports car, especially with the thin tapered stainless Chris uses. Some of your other thicker knives will start to feel like driving a mini-van by comparison after you start using the Raptors.

Congratulations again on the great scores!

Phil
Thanks Phil. That is a good way to put it. Handling them is quite a bit different than that Bushcrafter. I'm going to enjoy having these for sure.

Raptors handle like a finely tuned exotic sports car, especially with the thin tapered stainless Chris uses. Some of your other thicker knives will start to feel like driving a mini-van by comparison after you start using the Raptors.

Phil

Outstanding analogy Phil!

AH!!! I wondered who got this one! It was one of the first I saw that I wanted to grab up but was gone. Good score Jerry. It's stunning! Let me know if you ever want to move that one. I would like dibs on it.

Thanks Eric! I put you in the "Leads" column for that knife in my spreadsheet but I gotta say that it is just soooo nice. The "Sell" column for that Mamushi has a "Hell no" but stranger things have happened before. :D

Likewise, congrats on your Koa pair too. I ought to change my Avatar from that CF Raptor because I sold it even though I loved it a bunch. But I decided to strongly consider parting with knives that I wasn't going to carry and that one was just so dang pointy and sharp and pointy and sharp that I could easily see it going through the sheath and into my leg if I ever fell the wrong way. Although its a great kitchen knife, I just don't keep the 'spensive custom knives in the kitchen and am most likely to reach for what is on my belt at the time.

- Jerry

Back