Let's see your Osprey K/T

I love your tastes in knives Peter. You are right, the Warthog is a special profile - I have 2 now myself, they both are perfect.

Thanks Danny, Chris gets all the credit on these. For me it's one of his signature blades.

One of my favorites in Chris's line up.....the Warthog:

DSC00063_zpsbykvszbr.jpg

I love the way he configures the pinstripes and contours the handles:

DSC00064_zps68ywbrnf.jpg

Together with an Apache:

DSC00065_zps7obotkaz.jpg

Standing at attention:

DSC00072_zpsj0boo4uj.jpg

Epic collection of warthogs my friend!
The carbon fiber really stands out, and I love the bolstered with a taper tang
That's some great googly moogly

One of my favorites in Chris's line up.....the Warthog:

DSC00063_zpsbykvszbr.jpg

I love the way he configures the pinstripes and contours the handles:

DSC00064_zps68ywbrnf.jpg

Together with an Apache:

DSC00065_zps7obotkaz.jpg

Standing at attention:

DSC00072_zpsj0boo4uj.jpg

Peter, You and Susan have a nice little collection. This is the First time I have seen pictures of most everything you own OKT. I like what I am seeing. The Carbon Fiber bolstered Warthog turned out exceptionally well. The only one missing in that group in your lightning strike EDU. Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Love the way Chris does his pinstripes! Very classy looking. That Apache is great Phillip. Do you have a favorite model out of the bunch, fellas? I can't stop looking at Peter's collection of warthogs, so I feel a 3/32 Warthog calling my name somewhere down the road...

Love the way Chris does his pinstripes! Very classy looking. That Apache is great Phillip. Do you have a favorite model out of the bunch, fellas? I can't stop looking at Peter's collection of warthogs, so I feel a 3/32 Warthog calling my name somewhere down the road...
The Warthog is awesome. I only have the warthog, edu, raptor, and a dashi so can't make any meaningful comment across all models, but the Warthog is a great profile for either daily use or a light trail companion. For me, it fits my hand near to perfect as you can get. Chris does an excellent job contouring his handles that I have seen. I think 1/8" is a good all around thickness on this one.

Smaller, the EDU is pretty nice too. I just got one and loving it so far for a little 3-finger utility type knife. At 3/32" it cuts like a laser and it came extremely sharp straight from Chris. There is a nice natural canvas EDU available at the time of this posting at Usamadeblade, that would make a nice and light cutter.

Beautiful, I love those pinstripes
thanks
That's a beauty Phillip, is the swedge sharpened ?
thanks Peter
it's not sharpened.
thank you. Chris does great work.

I cant really comment on a favorite yet. I have this model and the 1st EDU he made. It's a bit different that his current model.

I just got this Hunter from Blade Show 2016 in today, courtesy of USA Made Blade!

Chris always applies his artistic talents and attention to detail when working with knife scales. When I saw he paired bog oak up with a bolstered composite in the blade set, I knew it would be done correctly. I was thrilled to see the Hunter appear at a dealer.

MqSipvg.jpg

The contours paired with the tapered tang flow naturally and enhance grip. The prominent integral guard prevents slippage of the hand.

wcrateG.jpg

nPUVMsE.jpg

This bog oak is richly textured with dark black lines and deep chocolate brown swirls.

Thunderstorm Kevlar, used on this blade both as liners and as bolsters, was introduced back in 2013 by Ben Tendick (BRT Bladeworks), who obtained the material from an industrial supplier. It is an aramid fiber with inlaid brass wires cast in resin. It is rougher and more textured than wood, more textured than classic micartas, and quite similar to shadetree burlap composites. Shadetree, by comparison, has a sense of give when held. The Kevlar feels harder, yet still very much like a fabric. It is a lightweight, heat-resistant, strong material. In industrial applications, weaving brass into Kevlar provides a matrix for layering and increases the friction coefficient.

In hand, I can feel the weight of the bog oak towards the inferior part of the tang and the weight of the blade at the superior end of the knife. The Kevlar bolstered area feels comparatively light. Consequently, the balance point of the knife is right at the index finger, in the curve of the Kevlar. It is a remarkably beautiful material, and I would like to put it through more paces to see how it behaves over time and use.

ACjhuS8.jpg

The brass adds chatoyancy and light scattering to the material.

I am not a traditional hunter, but my wife and I built this raised bed and we have been tending a garden.

YcVCwNc.jpg

Our unsuspecting prey:

gNRtBl1.jpg

skrGM6b.jpg

After a few years as a knife hobbyist, collector, sharpener, and aficionado, I certainly appreciate what Chris is bringing to the table here. His knives always come sharp, his knives have a sense of aesthetic preeminence, and the design philosophy favors function. This knife is a blend of past and future, with a 3400 year old piece of bog oak paired to advanced composite materials and crucible powdered metal technology.

I look forward to bringing it on the trails this fall for more work in the field.

KPmnFRB.jpg

Postscript: The kale got made into a quiche with caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and salt pork.

Tn317Jl.jpg

Last edited:
Nice review and sweet Hunter TripleT! I guess real men do eat quiche.:thumbup::D

I'm a dope, didn't even realize this forum was here. I picked up an Apache Hunter, now an Apache if I understand right, on a different forum. Close to being the most comfortable handle ever for me, and definitely one of the best looking.

7ae4a219a03fb61314f5f754d05b263d.jpg

This Fall Creek Bushcrafter is my other contender for best handle for my mitts, badass company to keep. 3rd from top.

74a98b2992f05cff09e827a4904d044d.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just got this Hunter from Blade Show 2016 in today, courtesy of USA Made Blade!

Chris always applies his artistic talents and attention to detail when working with knife scales. When I saw he paired bog oak up with a bolstered composite in the blade set, I knew it would be done correctly. I was thrilled to see the Hunter appear at a dealer.

MqSipvg.jpg

The contours paired with the tapered tang flow naturally and enhance grip. The prominent integral guard prevents slippage of the hand.

wcrateG.jpg

nPUVMsE.jpg

This bog oak is richly textured with dark black lines and deep chocolate brown swirls.

Thunderstorm Kevlar, used on this blade both as liners and as bolsters, was introduced back in 2013 by Ben Tendick (BRT Bladeworks), who obtained the material from an industrial supplier. It is an aramid fiber with inlaid brass wires cast in resin. It is rougher and more textured than wood, more textured than classic micartas, and quite similar to shadetree burlap composites. Shadetree, by comparison, has a sense of give when held. The Kevlar feels harder, yet still very much like a fabric. It is a lightweight, heat-resistant, strong material. In industrial applications, weaving brass into Kevlar provides a matrix for layering and increases the friction coefficient.

In hand, I can feel the weight of the bog oak towards the inferior part of the tang and the weight of the blade at the superior end of the knife. The Kevlar bolstered area feels comparatively light. Consequently, the balance point of the knife is right at the index finger, in the curve of the Kevlar. It is a remarkably beautiful material, and I would like to put it through more paces to see how it behaves over time and use.

ACjhuS8.jpg

The brass adds chatoyancy and light scattering to the material.

I am not a traditional hunter, but my wife and I built this raised bed and we have been tending a garden.

YcVCwNc.jpg

Our unsuspecting prey:

gNRtBl1.jpg

skrGM6b.jpg

After a few years as a knife hobbyist, collector, sharpener, and aficionado, I certainly appreciate what Chris is bringing to the table here. His knives always come sharp, his knives have a sense of aesthetic preeminence, and the design philosophy favors function. This knife is a blend of past and future, with a 3400 year old piece of bog oak paired to advanced composite materials and crucible powdered metal technology.

I look forward to bringing it on the trails this fall for more work in the field.

KPmnFRB.jpg

Postscript: The kale got made into a quiche with caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and salt pork.

Tn317Jl.jpg
Thank you for sharing your pictures and review with us on the Hunter. I was not aware of the origins of Thunderstorm Kevlar. I was initially drawn to its aesthetics and composition. I have worked with it several times now. It appears to be lighter indeed but yet tougher than Micarta. the information I have found online so far has been very limited.

I was going for the old and the new theme playing on the extreme on both ends of the spectrum. I changed my mind several times before finally deciding to make it. Sometimes I have no Idea if what I choose will turn out or if anyone will even like it. Especially if I have never seen it done before. I think I will play on this theme again in the future maybe with different materials.

That quiche looks pretty awesome!

I'm a dope, didn't even realize this forum was here. I picked up an Apache Hunter, now an Apache if I understand right, on a different forum. Close to being the most comfortable handle ever for me, and definitely one of the best looking.

7ae4a219a03fb61314f5f754d05b263d.jpg

This Fall Creek Bushcrafter is my other contender for best handle for my mitts, badass company to keep. 3rd from top.

74a98b2992f05cff09e827a4904d044d.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks man! I take a lot of extra time and pride making sure my handles are as comfortable as I can make them. I am glad that you enjoy your Hunter

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. Here are some specs on the Thunderstorm Kevlar:

Compression strength - 30,000psi
Shear strength - 13,600psi
Flexural Strength - 20,500psi
Max working temp - 600 degrees Fahrenheit

That is Ben's info and he is bringing it to market exclusively.

Keep up the good work!

Back