Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

pistonsandgears

Gold Member
So I did the usual searching and didn't find one cohesive thread to discuss the Scout/Camp knife style of knives (forgive me if there is one and I have missed it).
I find this type of knife very interesting, many useful tools on the knife.
Not many makers these days do a good camp knife.
I've got a couple of older knives. I think it is interesting to see the different takes that makers had on the design.
camillus%20camp%20knife.JPG
scout%20knife%2001.JPG

Last edited:
My only Scout is this 90+ year old Ulster that someone gave me a couple of years ago. It's got the big piece out of the bone on the mark side, but the pile side is intact. There's some blade play in the spear but the others are OK. All the blades still have at least some snap left, too.

I'm pretty sure my first knife was a blue Cub Scout knife. I wish I still had it!

This is a Robeson 643645 "Perma-Lube" scout/utility that has bronze bearings inletted into the ends of the backsprings to facilitate easy opening and closing.

Perma-Lube knives had a bronze shield.

This knife was purchased by the co-workers of a young named Ray Murchison after he had enlisted into the U.S. Navy during WWII.

They worked at Paramount Studios.

They sent the knife to him at his Naval Training Station in San Diego.

Apparently, he never used it. It's in excellent unused condition and still in the box they used to ship it to him.

One of the best and most interesting Robeson knives I've ever owned.

I've Googled his name, along with Paramount Studios, and found nothing.

Charlie Noyes

Last edited:
Fantastic knife, Charlie ! ! ! Nice to see an example so well preserved ! Original shipping box too !

Here's an old EC Simmons Keen Kutter that I sold on the Exchange. Love the beefy shield on this knife. It's difficult to see in the photo but the shield is quite thick.

GEC Texas Camp Knife
0p7r3tph.jpg

Camillus C4
GDbdrfRh.jpg

Sold off mine due to not having the "right one" and I didn't want having one that didn't get carried causing hesitation when I saw it available.
They are both shown in this thread by the same guy.

I also want a Sakai** with a zdp-189 blade.

So I did the usual searching and didn't find one cohesive thread to discuss the Scout/Camp knife style of knives (forgive me if there is one and I have missed it).
I find this type of knife very interesting, many useful tools on the knife.
Not many makers these days do a good camp knife.
I've got a couple of older knives. I think it is interesting to see the different takes that makers had on the design.
camillus%20camp%20knife.JPG

PandG: Great thread for the scout and camp knives, I was thinking that a thread to tie in all the different scout/camp/utility knives was in order ...I have recently fallen for the scout knives and there are lots to learn.

Now I really like everything about this particular scout, the bone?scales, shield and especially the spiral punch. Who is the maker? I was trying to make out the tang...but then it occurred to me it was High Carbon Steel.

Here are my large camp/utility knives. The GEC 98 really got my interest up on scouts, but I was not up to use it. Only fondled. So I got the Remington R4243 to carry/use for a while to get the feel of such a large scout knife. Definitely belt carry...I found the Victorinox Safari Hunter on a trip this fall and probably carry it the most as it is the lightest.

The large scout/campers by swaybacksteve, on Flickr

Buzz: Those would be among my favorites also:thumbup:

Rob: The color and jigging on that Whit-L-Craft is delectable. Nice find.

Charlie: That Robeson and the story behind it are outstanding!

PandG: Really like the shield on that first knife. Hadn't seen that one before.

I don't have any vintage, but here's a contemporary Scout pattern made by Camillus:

2015-03-23%2018.08.05.jpg

Back