1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 20 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker BO734 Urban Trapper Cocobolo, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday May 18!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, May 19 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/
  3. Week 21 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Knives Megatherium, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pistonsandgears, Jan 17, 2017.

1. pistonsandgears

pistonsandgears

Aug 12, 2011
    So I did the usual searching and didn't find one cohesive thread to discuss the Scout/Camp knife style of knives (forgive me if there is one and I have missed it).
    I find this type of knife very interesting, many useful tools on the knife.
    Not many makers these days do a good camp knife.
    I've got a couple of older knives. I think it is interesting to see the different takes that makers had on the design.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Phil in Alabama and WinonaRail like this.
  2. major_works

major_works

Aug 30, 2014
    My only Scout is this 90+ year old Ulster that someone gave me a couple of years ago. It's got the big piece out of the bone on the mark side, but the pile side is intact. There's some blade play in the spear but the others are OK. All the blades still have at least some snap left, too.

I'm pretty sure my first knife was a blue Cub Scout knife. I wish I still had it!

[​IMG]

Asgeirr and WinonaRail like this.
  3. btmccutcheon

btmccutcheon

Jul 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Asgeirr likes this.
  4. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
  5. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Here are some newer ones. I don't have any old scout style knives.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Camillus, Camillus, Western, Hammer, Richards:
    [​IMG]

neal70 likes this.
  7. CNoyes

CNoyes

May 30, 2009
    This is a Robeson 643645 "Perma-Lube" scout/utility that has bronze bearings inletted into the ends of the backsprings to facilitate easy opening and closing.

Perma-Lube knives had a bronze shield.

This knife was purchased by the co-workers of a young named Ray Murchison after he had enlisted into the U.S. Navy during WWII.

They worked at Paramount Studios.

They sent the knife to him at his Naval Training Station in San Diego.

Apparently, he never used it. It's in excellent unused condition and still in the box they used to ship it to him.

One of the best and most interesting Robeson knives I've ever owned.

I've Googled his name, along with Paramount Studios, and found nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie Noyes

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  8. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Fantastic knife, Charlie ! ! ! Nice to see an example so well preserved ! Original shipping box too !

Here's an old EC Simmons Keen Kutter that I sold on the Exchange. Love the beefy shield on this knife. It's difficult to see in the photo but the shield is quite thick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I DO have my old Cub Scout knife, though it hasn't been used or carried in many years. It's an Imperial I believe. Here it is with my 7-dot Case, basically from the same time frame as the Imperial.

[​IMG]

Asgeirr, WinonaRail and neal70 like this.
  10. CNoyes

CNoyes

May 30, 2009
    Twilight Zone, I think.

11. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Wow Charlie, the Robeson is absolutely amazing!!!

neal70 likes this.
  12. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    My current favorites are:

Case 6445R
    [​IMG]

GEC Texas Camp Knife
    [​IMG]

Queen D2 Scout
    [​IMG]

AG Russell 154CM Premium Scout
    [​IMG]

Camillus C4
    [​IMG]

13. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 27, 2014
    Sold off mine due to not having the "right one" and I didn't want having one that didn't get carried causing hesitation when I saw it available.
    They are both shown in this thread by the same guy.

I also want a Sakai** with a zdp-189 blade.

neal70 likes this.
  14. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    This is my first ever knife, an Ulster scout given to me by my Dad in the early '60s. Still in use every week.

[​IMG]

Storm 8593, Asgeirr, MBeckett and 5 others like this.
  15. swaybacksteve

swaybacksteve

Apr 7, 2015

PandG: Great thread for the scout and camp knives, I was thinking that a thread to tie in all the different scout/camp/utility knives was in order ...I have recently fallen for the scout knives and there are lots to learn.

Now I really like everything about this particular scout, the bone?scales, shield and especially the spiral punch. Who is the maker? I was trying to make out the tang...but then it occurred to me it was High Carbon Steel.

Here are my large camp/utility knives. The GEC 98 really got my interest up on scouts, but I was not up to use it. Only fondled. So I got the Remington R4243 to carry/use for a while to get the feel of such a large scout knife. Definitely belt carry...I found the Victorinox Safari Hunter on a trip this fall and probably carry it the most as it is the lightest.

[​IMG]The large scout/campers by swaybacksteve, on Flickr

Buzz: Those would be among my favorites also:thumbup:

Asgeirr, Fodderwing and neal70 like this.
  16. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Hope this counts in the scout knife category. Not quite as pretty but a work horse. Old Kingston with brass liners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asgeirr and Fodderwing like this.
  17. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    Cattaraugus jigged bone model D2589 Whitt-L-Craft Scout Knife:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. RobbW

RobbW Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Rob: The color and jigging on that Whit-L-Craft is delectable. Nice find.

Charlie: That Robeson and the story behind it are outstanding!

PandG: Really like the shield on that first knife. Hadn't seen that one before.

I don't have any vintage, but here's a contemporary Scout pattern made by Camillus:

[​IMG]

19. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. r redden

r redden Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2015
    Asgeirr, Fodderwing and neal70 like this.