1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pistonsandgears, Jan 17, 2017.

1. H2O2HI

H2O2HI

Jul 23, 2016

Buzz - I enjoy your enthusiasm for scout knives. I like to read your posts . It relaxes me. And it is much better than some other activities.
    I have bought several Craftsman utility knives NOS in the original box over the last few years at auction. You know - the 1927-1977 anniversary models made by Schrade. Black Delrin with heavy duty blades (no punch). I kept one in my car and gave the others to family members. I think it is the most useful knife I have ever had.
    I spent the 1960s in Latin America. About the only Jack to be had were SAKs. In fact I remember buying one as I was standing in the boarding line of the Guatemala City Airport.
    I could never get those SAKs to sharpen well. It was then that I vowed to never carry another Stainless steel knife. I have since broken my vow with the knives in the kitchen and garage. Keep up the good work. Joseph

Dschal, zolthar and veitsi_poika like this.
  2. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    This is the first knife I have owned with that style can opener. So far I have attempted to open 2 cans with it. I failed both times, and had to resort to my Swiss Champ to clean up the mess. There must be some trick to using one. Because I see them in the pictures of a lot of old knives. But I haven't figured it out.

O.B.

3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Buzz, you've really thought this through!

veitsi_poika likes this.
  4. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    The Vic SAK style can opener is about 976% better at opening cans than any other style of pocketknife can opener. But that number is entirely approximate, of course.

No problem. I’ve had a few years of trial and error experimentation. :confused::p:confused:

5. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    You likely have it figured out. It's just a poor can opener. Better as a hand opener than a can opener.

Bartleby likes this.
  6. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I'll take your word for that part. I think I would prefer not to prove it in person. The little I have used that blade, I could see how that would be easy to do.
    O.B.

7. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I use a lanyard to carry my pocket knives. For my SAK One Hand Opener I have about an 18-inch, 1/8-inch bungie type cord. I put a loop on one end, run the loop UNDER my belt, then put the SAK thru the loop and pull it tight, and put it all in my front right pocket. I can do about 95% (give or take a few percentage points) tasks with it attached like that. If I need to take it off my belt, I do not have to open my belt to access it. I had problems losing my SAK's when just sitting in my front pocket, but have had this current SAK OH since 2001, so it works for me. John

leghog and afishhunter like this.
  8. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Love this thread and these knives... fullsizeoutput_17b.jpeg

9. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I watched a video on You Tube last night of a Swiss man, Felix Immler, and he used a Victorinox Ranger to make a pair of skis, and the only other thing he used was some wooden wedges he also made with the SAK. In another video he carved a spoon, and it was interesting to see him use the can opener to scoop out the bowl part of the spoon. John

Fodderwing likes this.
  10. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    The brilliantly simple hooked Mirando patent opener was made military standard during WWII in response to the high rate of wounds received from the jagged ends of cans from older types.

11. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I found some pics to go with that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Thank you John !! Man o man that was a great video !!!!

13. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    More fantastic posts Buzz !! Thank you !! I often thought about a video of how each type of can opener works.

14. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    How some of them work is still a mystery to me.

[​IMG]

15. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Me too...a good case in point....lol !!

16. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I think with that can opener, you push it thru the can with the the stud on the edge of the can, and with the open part of the knife handle up, push down on the handle, which pushes the cutting edge up and thru the can lid. If you tried it the other way, the can opener would just close. John

Bartleby and Wurrwulf like this.
  17. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    In a word, poorly!

18. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Utica Featherweight Girl Scout knife... tang stamp says "PAT APL." over "36". Really nicely made knife, I've been pretty impressed with the quality of every Utica knife I have.

UFLGS-1A.JPG UFLGS-1B.JPG UFLGS-1C.JPG

- Kevin

19. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Howdy Folks..

I am always slowly building my collection of older scouts, would love to share my latest haul with you guys...
    Robeson, This Knife is somewhat similar to the absolute top notch Perma Lube Scout I posted here in post #499 with a follow up from Charlie Noyes - post # 501, same Bone- actually same everything Bar this Knife has Brass Liners and does not have the Perma Lube Bearings.
    Wonderful Bone as you would expect from an early Era Robeson, a knife that has done very little work in it's lifetime!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  20. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Next up is one of two Peach Seed Scouts by: Schrade Cut co. Walden NY.
    I admit to going weak at the Knees whenever Schrades early ear Knives come up- especially Peach Seed!
    Here is a beauty! these Schrades- the way the Peach seed Bone Convexes - almost as pronounced as a New York Scout- Almost but not Quite ( as shown on the NYK in post #499 in this thread - Looking at the Peach seed Jigging on this model- you'd almost swear it was a NYK with the Jigging - but again...not quite!
    This Knife has done work- but not enough to look away from it - Still in Great shape!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018