Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

This is a big one for me. I finally completed my collection of Camillus-manufactured Premium Scouts from A.G. Russell. It's my understanding that a black "rucarta" run was done in 2001, and the jigged bone and stag runs were later done in 2004. Here are some screen captures of A.G.'s website from back then:

TzHlDEvh.png

ScMmtWth.png

My father-in-law and I were overjoyed when we first saw these in A.G.'s paper catalog, but we never pulled the trigger on them. We figured that we'd wait for the price to come down a bit first, or see if we could snag some bargains from the A.G. Seconds bin of imperfect knives. But the seconds sold out too quickly for us to grab, and then they were all gone. We totally missed out.

There was a time a few years ago, that you could find one on auction for a less than the original price. That's how I got my micarta scout. But that time has gone now. The secondary market has gotten to where the prices are often far higher than original cost.

As you'll be able to see from the pictures below, the micarta and the jigged bone are the real deal. The blade etch is there. The stag scout was probably assembled after the closing of Camillus, and made from spare parts. According to A.G. himself:

I'd love to say that these are the holy grail of scout knives, considering their amazing beauty and the 154CM main blade, but there are some problems. First off, all of my Premium Scouts exhibit some fit issues. The walk and talk of the main blade on my micarta is a bit weak with a pull of maybe 3. The crinking on my jigged bone was done quite badly, so the main blade likes to close on top of the cap lifter. The counterfeit stag is probably my best one, with only a lazy cap lifter. These knives were made in the final years of Camillus, and the deteriorated quality shows a bit. My "average joe" Camillus 99's have far bet fit than my Premium Scouts. The grinds on the 154CM blades are also thicker behind the edge than the main blades on other Camillus scouts, which is unfortunate from a performance perspective.

nK43pPyh.jpg

aM6LO7Oh.jpg

yRV5NShh.jpg

But all in all, I'm overjoyed to finally have one of each of these Premium Scouts, 17 years in the making from start to finish. They're truly beautiful knives. I have a feeling that the stag will see some pocket time in the future.

Buzz - I enjoy your enthusiasm for scout knives. I like to read your posts . It relaxes me. And it is much better than some other activities.
I have bought several Craftsman utility knives NOS in the original box over the last few years at auction. You know - the 1927-1977 anniversary models made by Schrade. Black Delrin with heavy duty blades (no punch). I kept one in my car and gave the others to family members. I think it is the most useful knife I have ever had.
I spent the 1960s in Latin America. About the only Jack to be had were SAKs. In fact I remember buying one as I was standing in the boarding line of the Guatemala City Airport.
I could never get those SAKs to sharpen well. It was then that I vowed to never carry another Stainless steel knife. I have since broken my vow with the knives in the kitchen and garage. Keep up the good work. Joseph

Showing my lack of knowledge here - what is the unusual looking tool on the far right for? I would think it has to be a can opener? is this an improved design can opener?
This is the first knife I have owned with that style can opener. So far I have attempted to open 2 cans with it. I failed both times, and had to resort to my Swiss Champ to clean up the mess. There must be some trick to using one. Because I see them in the pictures of a lot of old knives. But I haven't figured it out.

O.B.

This is the first knife I have owned with that style can opener. So far I have attempted to open 2 cans with it. I failed both times, and had to resort to my Swiss Champ to clean up the mess. There must be some trick to using one. Because I see them in the pictures of a lot of old knives. But I haven't figured it out.

O.B.

The Vic SAK style can opener is about 976% better at opening cans than any other style of pocketknife can opener. But that number is entirely approximate, of course.

Thanks, Buzz, you've really thought this through!

No problem. I’ve had a few years of trial and error experimentation. :confused::p:confused:

O.B.

You likely have it figured out. It's just a poor can opener. Better as a hand opener than a can opener.

I use a lanyard to carry my pocket knives. For my SAK One Hand Opener I have about an 18-inch, 1/8-inch bungie type cord. I put a loop on one end, run the loop UNDER my belt, then put the SAK thru the loop and pull it tight, and put it all in my front right pocket. I can do about 95% (give or take a few percentage points) tasks with it attached like that. If I need to take it off my belt, I do not have to open my belt to access it. I had problems losing my SAK's when just sitting in my front pocket, but have had this current SAK OH since 2001, so it works for me. John

I watched a video on You Tube last night of a Swiss man, Felix Immler, and he used a Victorinox Ranger to make a pair of skis, and the only other thing he used was some wooden wedges he also made with the SAK. In another video he carved a spoon, and it was interesting to see him use the can opener to scoop out the bowl part of the spoon. John

It is a can opener, but an older type and at least IMO not nearly as user friendly as the hooked kind like on the Ulster
The brilliantly simple hooked Mirando patent opener was made military standard during WWII in response to the high rate of wounds received from the jagged ends of cans from older types.

The brilliantly simple hooked Mirando patent opener was made military standard during WWII in response to the high rate of wounds received from the jagged ends of cans from older types.

I found some pics to go with that.

The patent is for the blade, with its curved and tapered cutting surface, and the hook to grip under the rim of a can to provide a fulcrum for the cutting tip.

Blades conforming to this patent are found in a variety of "Boy Scout" and similar pocket knives.

eNzEIUH.jpg

C84PKfF.jpg

I watched a video on You Tube last night of a Swiss man, Felix Immler, and he used a Victorinox Ranger to make a pair of skis, and the only other thing he used was some wooden wedges he also made with the SAK. In another video he carved a spoon, and it was interesting to see him use the can opener to scoop out the bowl part of the spoon. John
Thank you John !! Man o man that was a great video !!!!

I think with that can opener, you push it thru the can with the the stud on the edge of the can, and with the open part of the knife handle up, push down on the handle, which pushes the cutting edge up and thru the can lid. If you tried it the other way, the can opener would just close. John

Howdy Folks..

I am always slowly building my collection of older scouts, would love to share my latest haul with you guys...
Robeson, This Knife is somewhat similar to the absolute top notch Perma Lube Scout I posted here in post #499 with a follow up from Charlie Noyes - post # 501, same Bone- actually same everything Bar this Knife has Brass Liners and does not have the Perma Lube Bearings.
Wonderful Bone as you would expect from an early Era Robeson, a knife that has done very little work in it's lifetime!

KZp1PpT.jpg

ybPzTWx.jpg

Eupjxd6.jpg

e4usx2X.jpg

Last edited:
Next up is one of two Peach Seed Scouts by: Schrade Cut co. Walden NY.
I admit to going weak at the Knees whenever Schrades early ear Knives come up- especially Peach Seed!
Here is a beauty! these Schrades- the way the Peach seed Bone Convexes - almost as pronounced as a New York Scout- Almost but not Quite ( as shown on the NYK in post #499 in this thread - Looking at the Peach seed Jigging on this model- you'd almost swear it was a NYK with the Jigging - but again...not quite!
This Knife has done work- but not enough to look away from it - Still in Great shape!
OBHkvbE.jpg

9mPLBUU.jpg

c9rOYdV.jpg

umzUpKA.jpg

Last edited:
Back