Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

jsdistin - Nice duo there- Hey a Girls Scout always has to fit in here matey! cool Featherweight, and those Ulster DwightDevine's are always - always a nice knife!

Nice Three Bladers there Leghog matety- man those are nice Knives!

Nice Western Phil!

I scored another nice Scouts Prepare Peach Seed Schrade Cut Co. Walden the other day- just so I could mix it up with my others and see just which one is the tidiest, its been cleaned for sure but a deecent Knife overall, the earlier era Schrade Peachseed Handles are dead Mint. small things like the tidy Bail- rather than a chunky bail as you see on some knives make big differences, I will post an update on the scouts as soon as I can to get some photo's!

Also as part of my Uncle Albert hunt ( Barlow to go ) my good friend Paul managed to find two dead MINT Old Timer Scout Knives -Paul thank you once again my friend- Photos to follow my friends!

Well that's just plain unfair, teasing us like that, without any photos. ;););) Sound like you've got some great new additions.

I have a couple of bone covered Pal scouts on the way. Hard to tell the condition yet. Hopefully, at least one will be a good one. They intrigue me since they both appear to have Remington 2-piece can openers, obviously made from the old Remington tooling they purchased. They also have pen knives instead of awls. Does anybody know how good the quality of these old Pal knives are, in comparison to the old Remington scout knives?

Well that's just plain unfair, teasing us like that, without any photos. ;););) Sound like you've got some great new additions.

I have a couple of bone covered Pal scouts on the way. Hard to tell the condition yet. Hopefully, at least one will be a good one. They intrigue me since they both appear to have Remington 2-piece can openers, obviously made from the old Remington tooling they purchased. They also have pen knives instead of awls. Does anybody know how good the quality of these old Pal knives are, in comparison to the old Remington scout knives?
The Pals are nice. The one's I have with pen blade in lieu of awl were USN BuShips.

The bone is PAL Army spec 17-170. The black plastic is USN 41-J-4b:
WW2%2520PAL%2520Army%252017-170%2520%2526%2520PAL%2520USN%252041-J-4b.JPG

This is a PAL Army 17-170 with Remington can opener.
17-170%2520%28PAL%2520with%2520Rem%2520Can%2520Opener%29.JPG

The Pals are nice. The one's I have with pen blade in lieu of awl were USN BuShips.

This is a PAL Army 17-170 with Remington can opener.
17-170%2520%28PAL%2520with%2520Rem%2520Can%2520Opener%29.JPG

The jigging, color and level of pocket wear on that bottom PAL is absolutely dreamy.

Last edited:
I’d think that the Girl Scout knife totally counts. It’s a really interesting one.

Hey a Girls Scout always has to fit in here matey! cool Featherweight
Totally agree! I have a couple of the Featherweights, one cell and one bone like the one J jsdistin posted... they are very cool and super light to carry. I'm not too masculine to carry a nice Girl Scout knife :D

Funny you posted the Pal L leghog I picked one up a couple weeks ago mainly because it had a pen blade instead of a punch... otherwise it is a normal Pal scout, check it out. The bone appears to be different from mark to pile too so this one may have been a "leftovers" scout :D BTW, this thread has really blossomed in a little over a year, kudos to pistonsandgears pistonsandgears for starting it!

PALSCOUT-1A.JPG PALSCOUT-1B.JPG

Funny you posted the Pal L leghog I picked one up a couple weeks ago mainly because it had a pen blade instead of a punch... otherwise it is a normal Pal scout, check it out. The bone appears to be different from mark to pile too so this one may have been a "leftovers" scout :D BTW, this thread has really blossomed in a little over a year, kudos to pistonsandgears pistonsandgears for starting it!

View attachment 1073345 View attachment 1073346

That's interesting. It's like the knife has two different generations of Remington bone. I hope the main blades on the two I have on the way are as full as yours.

Very nice, Kevin, maybe the mark side cover is a replacement?
It does not look tampered with at all Jeff, the pins are the same and the bevel around the edges of the bone are identical including the taper to the bolsters... if it was a replacement, someone did a bang up job shaping that baby ;)

That's interesting. It's like the knife has two different generations of Remington bone. I hope the main blades on the two I have on the way are as full as yours.
I was thinking the same thing Buzz as I was browsing back through this thread looking at Rem bone examples ;) You're right too, the blades on this one are great, I got it for a bargain because it was all dirty and rusted... it looks proud now :)

I think the question I had asked about whether the Girl Scout featherweight knife was appropriate for this thread has been misunderstood (which was completely my fault for not clarifying more what the actual question was). The featherweight is a two blade knife with no tools like can opener or punch, so the question was whether a two blade knife would be appropriate in the camp/scout thread or if a camp/scout knife needed to have tools.
Apologies

I think the question I had asked about whether the Girl Scout featherweight knife was appropriate for this thread has been misunderstood (which was completely my fault for not clarifying more what the actual question was). The featherweight is a two blade knife with no tools like can opener or punch, so the question was whether a two blade knife would be appropriate in the camp/scout thread or if a camp/scout knife needed to have tools.
Apologies

If it were mine, I'd be posting it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had a couple decent auction site finds recently. One is a Girl Scout knife which is a two blade one so maybe not appropriate here but I found it interesting and figured it counts. The interesting thing to me is that the bolsters and liners are both aluminum, I hadn’t seen that before.
View attachment 1071584
The other one is a scout knife in the more traditional sense I guess. I had some opinion questions about it though. First it has a fairly large chip out of the handle by the center pin. My question is whether to repair it with some epoxy or leave it as is. I should probably state that I would like to start using this knife. The other issue is that when the punch is open the blade moves over and gets in the way of closing the punch as seen in the picture below. As I see it I can either try to bend the blade over so it doesn’t get in the way (which may just break the blade) or I can file down the tang of the punch so it pushes the blade over as it closes. The blade also has some wobble so I will probably pean the bolsters to tighten it up and I have had this straighten out uncentered blades in the past so I may not have to do either. Just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions from their own experiences.
Edit: also I suppose I can just not do anything and push the blade over a bit if/when I actually use the punch.
View attachment 1071588
View attachment 1071585
View attachment 1071586
Here is a link to the cell Utica Girl Scout Featherweight I posted a while back...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-see-your-scout-camp-knives.1463060/page-45#post-17980111

Apologies
It has "scout" in the name ;):D:thumbsup:

It does not look tampered with at all Jeff . . .

Kevin, that's great! Maybe a transitional knife then, from one type jigging to another. If anyone knows about when that happened, it could help date the knife (something I'm always interested in!). Any way you look at it, it's a great find, and you did a terrific job cleaning it up. :thumbsup:

Wuzz up, Buzz, do LIKE that knife, or something??? ;)

More like LOVE the knife. The problem is that I have two loves, both the Camillus and my first Remington RS3333. I've committed to carrying the Camillus for the entire year, so it will be in my pocket every day, and be the primary knife that I use. I'm married to it, for lack of a better word. The Camillus is sturdy and capable and everything the logical side of my brain says that I need in a knife. But the other side of brain swoons every time I see the Remington. Half the time, I also end up with the Remington in my other pocket, just because I can't keep my hands and eyes off of it. The Remington is all about romanticism. For all of its flaws, it never fails to conjure dreams of adventure. It feels so perfect in the hand. The covers and can opener are so aesthetically pleasing. The craftsmanship is so extraordinary. I'm tormenting by my love for the two of them.

4AaHNy6h.jpg

They're both ravishing! I wouldn't be able to choose between them.

P.S. Back in the day, when asked, "Ginger, or Mary Ann?" . . . I always said, "Both!"

Back