Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

wazu013 wazu013 - both of your scouts are spectacular. Such pristine condition. Both of them have at least one or two full lifetimes of life left in them.

That Remington is absolutely off the charts. You’d be hard pressed to find a scout knife more satisfying to carry than that one. Everything about it is absolutely sublime.

Here are two new PAL’s that arrived yesterday. They’re both birds of a feather. Same amount of general wear. Same tang stamps. Same random jig pattern. Steel liners on both, indicating war time knives, although I find no indication that they were made for the war effort.

qwLi9Fgh.jpg

I6QBLN2h.jpg

j5Ihk6Vh.jpg

wazu013 wazu013 - both of your scouts are spectacular. Such pristine condition. Both of them have at least one or two full lifetimes of life left in them.

That Remington is absolutely off the charts. You’d be hard pressed to find a scout knife more satisfying to carry than that one. Everything about it is absolutely sublime.
Thanks Buzz :)
There's something about the old brown bone that make the knives of the era special.

This is better of the two PAL’s. Where the one from last night has all sorts of fit issues, nicks in the blades and a bent screwdriver tip, this one is pretty good. The action isn’t as silky smooth as a Remington, but it’s pretty darned good. The blades aren’t completely full, but they have plenty of life left. The thickness behind the edges of both the main and secondary are still about .025” and .022” respectively. Both blades sharpened up quite easily. The can opener and screwdriver are perfect. No wobble in any of the tools. Walk and talk on all tools is excellent, with great snap. Bail is in almost perfect condition. No chips or cracks in the bone that I can find.

I really love the overall wear level of this knife. I won’t be sprucing it up at all. I’m leaving every single battle scar on it. The pocket worn bone is a feast for my eyes, having a wonderful orange color that looks as though it has soaked up more than its fair share of sweat over the years. Both the mark and pile side are pretty much identical. The tools have seen so much pocket time and use that they’ve taken on sort of a hand rubbed texture and finish.

This PAL has an exceptional amount of soul. Knives like this one are the reason why I’m a collector of vintage scouts. I truly get more joy from a hard worn yet well cared for knife than I do from a knife that’s still new and shiny. I feel like I’ve not only acquired a nice knife, but I’ve also inherited every adventure this knife has ever seen.

yGwTI0oh.jpg

fJtyuzoh.jpg

Here's another old one with the Union tang stamp. The blades are in rough shape but once again it's the brown bone covers that make it for me.View attachment 1074424 View attachment 1074426

Beautiful Rogers bone on that Union. I must admit that the bone on these old scouts is much of the reason that I collect them. It all looks so nice and ages so incredibly well. So many amazing hues of red, orange, green and brown.

Really Really nice knives Wazu and Buzz wonderful to look at, I too started collecting scouts a while ago-although not my main focus but I tend to have three favorite types of knife in the main to collect, Scouts being one of the three.

Loved looking through the knives Wazu- that Brown shoes buy the Punch is Utica- wonderful to look at!

I picked up this Schrade Peach Seed- this knife's Peach Seed being the earlier type of Peah Seed from Schrade making this probably 1930's, it does have a missed strike for the Pinning- Not a Major - but these Handles are so nice to look at!!!! the Knife itself has done work- not over the top wear and still is a respectable Knife - it has been cleaned- not polished but someone has taken some time to try and remove some tiny pitting - preferably to be left alone- but this knife still rocks it- I have a few Schrades and I got this in to see if it were any better than the ones I have - its not - but its still a nice one.
XrmMTSf.jpg

nBYY6y6.jpg

83238PX.jpg

I really Like Schrade's Punch...
QTJa3WC.jpg

lHfBCkx.jpg

Here is the Ulster Old Timer Scout that I was SO lucky to obtain through my good friend Paul Hilborn, Paul managed to grab one and the seller had another- so he grabbed it for me - this this is Brand New and never seen use! Just amazing, mid range Pulls- just a beauty! It still has the Factory oil in Joints!...
Just need to find the Barlow now for the Prince Albert 3!
Paul my friend - Thank you so so much for this mate....

sdPayXB.jpg

1Hyg2rk.jpg

t7qc5nw.jpg

ETG2MVi.jpg

nFQv8EE.jpg

This PAL has an exceptional amount of soul. Knives like this one are the reason why I’m a collector of vintage scouts. I truly get more joy from a hard worn yet well cared for knife than I do from a knife that’s still new and shiny. I feel like I’ve not only acquired a nice knife, but I’ve also inherited every adventure this knife has ever seen.
I think you echo the feelings of a lot of us in your comments above Buzz... well said and great knives! :):thumbsup:

I was lucky enough to work out a deal for one of the Schrade Walden Craftsman 9555 utility knives with the saw tool :eek::thumbsup: These are not abundant and certainly not in near mint condition like this one... it's a scout knife marvel :D:thumbsup: These were originally made by Schrade Walden for Sears starting in 1967 and I don't think they were made for very long.

C9555-1A.JPG C9555-1B.JPG C9555-1C.JPG C9555-1D.JPG C9555-1E.JPG

I found the photos of my other two Scharde "Scouts Prepare ", I have another Schrade Built scout with gorgeous Peach Seed bone with the Rare Buffalo Stamping on the Tang.
Top of the photo is a very nice Robeson, 2nd to bottom is an Empire Built Girls Scout, and bottom is a very hard to get Buffalo Bill New York Knife Co Scout.

SVWtI8C.jpg

Speaking of Robeson - another very much like the top Knife above - but this one is better - it has the Bronze Bearings and built in the time when Robeson were regarded as building the best knife in the World - and these- were the Creme de La Creme of Robesons - and as much as I love all my other Scouts- my other Robesons, NY, Schrades etc- the walk and Talk - just everything about this knife is wow! The Bronze Bearings / Shielded Knife is the 3rd knife below...

Below the "Norm" Campers Shielded Robeson...

KZp1PpT.jpg

Another Sweet Robeson in the Mstercraft series..
VVyitKE.jpg

And below the Bronze Shield Stunner...
5NRrFxT.jpg

Then we step into the so well known and gorgeous Remingtons.....
I have a couple that look as though they werent used, I can understand this- because I get two minded on using such a knife- this will always be debated and never agreed upon....

aM7RmlZ.jpg

Unused Punch...
6KsEecw.jpg

Then we have a Remington- that had SO little use -and some really brainy person hit it with a small Dremel Grinder of sorts- thankfully not overboard damage - but leaves one shaking their head as to why we need people on Earth who do this sort of stupid thing...
D3OVYCN.jpg

Oh...just while I was searching for a photo I came across this photo of my Miller- gifted to me by Mr. Paul Hilborn - Oh man this is a Sweetheart- and Buzz your words this morning about a knife that has been used, loved and treated well- and looks even more beautiful- well matey - this knife is that .....
h5jJ3K0.jpg

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to work out a deal for one of the Schrade Walden Craftsman 9555 utility knives with the saw tool :eek::thumbsup: These are not abundant and certainly not in near mint condition like this one... it's a scout knife marvel :D:thumbsup: These were originally made by Schrade Walden for Sears starting in 1967 and I don't think they were made for very long.
That thing is amazing Kevin. What a sweet knife.

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman - Duncan an unbelievable display of scouts. :eek:

Back