Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

I wish I could take pictures like Kevin and Buzzbait. great knives in here. I just posted this in the Old Knives thread but I will add a few pictures here as well.

Here's a 3 5/8 closed New York Knife Co. "official" BSR 1 scout knife. Levine's guide says that NYK Co. was the official scout knife maker until 1922, which included having "be prepared" on the shield. There are faint salesman sample numbers on the back of the main blade. Kevin posted this link on scout knives in the Old Knives thread, which includes a section on NYK Co. scout knives.
ApbiQFK.jpg

dXHCBip.jpg

7D9Yy9i.jpg
Wow that's a beauty Mike! Great score :):thumbsup: I saw one similar (not as pristine as yours) to this on The Bay not long ago but wasn't in a spending mood :D

Last edited:
I wish I could take pictures like Kevin and Buzzbait. great knives in here. I just posted this in the Old Knives thread but I will add a few pictures here as well.

Here's a 3 5/8 closed New York Knife Co. "official" BSR 1 scout knife. Levine's guide says that NYK Co. was the official scout knife maker until 1922, which included having "be prepared" on the shield. There are faint salesman sample numbers on the back of the main blade. Kevin posted this link on scout knives in the Old Knives thread, which includes a section on NYK Co. scout knives.
ApbiQFK.jpg

dXHCBip.jpg

7D9Yy9i.jpg

Mike, that has to be the most exceptional vintage Scout knife I’ve ever seen. Absolutely beautiful!!!

I love these Schrade Walden scouts... looks like you got a good one there Dwight :thumbsup: I have one similar but the bail is missing... this old red one is probably my favorite Schrade Walden scout
Thank you Kevin. Wow that is a most unusual and cool SW scout! :eek:

Nice Scout, Al!! Can you show us the other side of the punch??
Thanks!!

Thanks Al!! Nice punch!! I was wondering if it had a Napanoch punch, but clearly that one is Winchester's creation. Nicely shaped, and would probably be very effective! Winchesters were as nice as the much-vaunted Remingtons, but don't get as much attention. A beauty of a scout!!:thumbsup:

I’ve been admiring all the beautiful old Scout/Camp knives that everyone has been posting lately. This is one area of my knife collection that is pretty slim. I do have a nice old Schrade Cut Co “Scouts Prepare” example but that is the extent of my collection. I recently picked this Camillus up from the big auction site. It was listed as a Post WW2 Engineers Knife. I know it’s been cleaned, but it’s not been buffed away like a lot of older knives are today. I’m no expert and would appreciate any info from you that are more in the know. I am pretty sure that this tang stamp dates this one from 1946-1956. I will say that I have no doubt that it could easily last another 60 to 70 years. It’s tight with great walk and talk. It’s dull as a butter knife but I’ll take care of that. And the bone, wow just beautiful bone! I’m sure it’s worth every penny of the $26 I paid!

33652199058_c1a75f63e2_b_d.jpg

46613471285_41682bf30c_b_d.jpg

I’ve been admiring all the beautiful old Scout/Camp knives that everyone has been posting lately. This is one area of my knife collection that is pretty slim. I do have a nice old Schrade Cut Co “Scouts Prepare” example but that is the extent of my collection. I recently picked this Camillus up from the big auction site. It was listed as a Post WW2 Engineers Knife. I know it’s been cleaned, but it’s not been buffed away like a lot of older knives are today. I’m no expert and would appreciate any info from you that are more in the know. I am pretty sure that this tang stamp dates this one from 1946-1956. I will say that I have no doubt that it could easily last another 60 to 70 years. It’s tight with great walk and talk. It’s dull as a butter knife but I’ll take care of that. And the bone, wow just beautiful bone! I’m sure it’s worth every penny of the $26 I paid!

33652199058_c1a75f63e2_b_d.jpg

46613471285_41682bf30c_b_d.jpg

Nice find!!!! Good bone on that one, and that main blade still has a ton of life left in it. It's wonderful that so many of these knives can still be found, in very good condition, and for a modest amount of money. They've got a heck of a lot of bang for the buck, and you don't feel too bad adding a knife with such a low rarity to your EDC rotation.

Yours looks maybe post-war. Brass liners. 3-line tang stamp. These were sold at PX's and such, and available through quartermasters, but most seemed to have 4-line tang stamps. Knives of the same exact pattern were sold on the open market after the war, but I don't have a clear understanding of whether the bone covered examples were confined only/mainly to the military. Lots of the post-war knives, and even some of the war knives, were covered in nasty shrinky-dink plastic, that reached its half life quite quickly.

So yours is one of the tougher knives to pin down. It may be post-war, but could also have been a late-war model. Camillus was playing with new tang stamps late in the war. The late-war era saw a mixture of bone and plastic being used, as the bone supply quickly dried up.

I can say that yours is what Camillus called a 14/4. It's based on the 14 pattern with 4 blades. This pattern was used for a long, long time. Long before the war and even into the 1980's. Maybe longer. That's at least 50 years of manufacturing, and possibly more. There are tons of variations on the 14/4, usually cosmetic, but also featuring at least 4 different styles of can openers and at least 2 different caplifter/screwdriver varieties.

Can you take a picture of the springs and liners for me, with the tools in the closed position?

Uv7yHao.jpg

iJR4caY.jpg

CcDrmf4.jpg

fz8o4lj.jpg

Last edited:
Back