1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 16 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Buck Custom Shop 119 Special lasermarked with the BladeForums logo!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Buck Custom Shop 119, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 20; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pistonsandgears, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks so much for the info Buzz! I really appreciate it. I could see where these knives could easily become addictive! Here are some additional photos. If you need more just let me know. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice Knife my friend :) :thumbsup:

Half/Stop likes this.
  3. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Needham, Eyre St, Sheffield All metal. IMG_0968.jpg IMG_0966.jpg IMG_1008.jpg IMG_0975.jpeg

4. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Ooooh. That’s nice. That model has been on my watch list for the last few years. Yours is in wonderful condition.

Campbellclanman likes this.
  6. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I'm a very happy camper today. I managed to acquire my first Remington scout last fall, and it was a very good one. The only issues were a slightly short punch, a twisted bail, and some mostly cosmetic digs in the edge of the main blade. After getting that one excellent Remington, I embarked on a journey to find one that was as close to functionally perfect as possible. I tried a few auction Remingtons, as well a handful of bargain Pal scouts, but none of them totally panned out. I either ended up with short blades or cracked covers.

Well I finally paid the piper last week, and ordered another Remington at a higher price than I'd ordinarily pay. Nothing too extravagant, but definitely outside my comfort zone. The new knife arrived in my mailbox yesterday, and I'm very relieved to say that it's in wonderful condition. I'm not sure if the spear blade has ever been sharpened, it's so long and full. The awl is so clean, it still has that bluish discoloration inside the scoop. The caplifter/screwdriver is full, with maybe just the slightest twist in the flathead tip. The two-piece can opener is in great shape. All tools are perfectly tight and properly crinked. Every tool opens and closes with an authoritative snap. The Remington bone covers are flat out gorgeous, well matched, and have no noticeable cracks or chips. The tang stamps on both the main blade and punch are in great shape, as is the BSA shield on the mark side cover. The bail is even straight.

I'd say that the only problem with the knife is that somebody tried to clean it up a bit at one point, and removed most of the patina. But that I can add back on, so it's not a huge issue. I'll be doing that at my earliest convenience, because I hate the look of an antique knife that's obviously had the patina removed.

I hate to say it, but I think I may have now hit somewhat of an endpoint in my scout collecting. My scout search has always been about finding that perfect knife to use. I've nailed my perfect scout model down to either the Camillus Engineer knife or the Remington RS3333 BSA knife, and I now have two excellent examples of both knives, that aren't so crazy rare that I'm afraid to use them. All that's left is for me to finish my long term evaluation of the Camillus, and to perform the same testing on the Remington.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    This new Remington is bizarrely similar in appearance to the one I bought last fall. Definitely kissing cousins.

[​IMG]

HST, R.c.s, afishhunter and 10 others like this.
  8. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Gorgeous Buzz! Congratulations!

9. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice duo Buzz. Those Remingtons are excellent Knives.

10. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    DSC_0007.jpeg

waverave, HST, R.c.s and 11 others like this.
  11. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    So much goodness in one knife. Epic Remington styling, awesome shield, beautiful worn bone, and a nice dark patina.

It’s a keep for sure!!!

Great photo too. :thumbsup:

Fodderwing likes this.
  12. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Smoldering specimen, Buzz !! Congrats

Superb Photograph...wow !! The knife is a gem !!!

Fodderwing likes this.
  13. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you Buzz. Very kind.

Thank you Gev!

14. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    This Imperial Cub has a steel shield and lacks the symmetrical double crink of the Camillus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

waverave, HST, R.c.s and 6 others like this.
  15. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I REALLY like the steel shield on your Imperial!

Fodderwing likes this.
  16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks.
    It's funny, but I thought I had cleaned this up when I bought it. When I bought it, I had the feeling it had been dipped in tar and run over a few times in a pothole in a gravel road. Maybe I just loosened up the blades with penetrating oil, oiled the rust, and called it good.
    Anyway, I have gone after it with a toothbrush and scouring powder, then with some emery cloth, and of course more oil. Much improved.

Fodderwing and Buzzbait like this.
  17. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    A couple of imperials from the 1936-52 era that are a little different from each other. Both are in original condition with very little use and each still has the factory edge on the main blade.

IMG_3870.jpg IMG_3871.jpg IMG_3872.jpg IMG_3873.jpg

18. waverave

waverave Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Grabbed this Ulster from the OKCA show...
    Ulster_Scout.jpg
    ...and this Camillus from an antique shop...both in great working condition.
    Camillus_Scout.jpg

navaja, afishhunter, Dschal and 7 others like this.
  19. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I dig the Camillus. It's nice to see a scout with a secondary blade. The lack of a second blade on a traditional scout design is the one thing I don't like about it. I always want that extra small blade for detail work and digging out splinters.

waverave likes this.
  20. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I've been meaning to take pictures of my Imperials. I have a couple of plastic handled ones in the same style, with the pen secondary instead of the awl. One is so mint it still has the corrosion resistant paper, with instructions printed on it, that the knife came wrapped in. I'll see if I can snap some pics this weekend.

TheChunk91 likes this.