1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pistonsandgears, Jan 17, 2017.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    But the punch/awl comes in so daRn handy!
    It is the most used blade on my scout knives.
    There are a lot of thorns/sandburrs around here that attack my bicycle tyres ... year round ... especially when there be snow on the ground for them to hide in ... :(
    The punch/awl works better than the can opener for digging them out.

2. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    I love the punch too. It's a great tool that I use contantly. I think what I need is a way to replace all of my can openers with small coping blades. That would make the scout tool compliment perfect.

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My only old Camp/Scout knife. Not fancy, but full of nostalgia.
    [​IMG]

4. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I dunno ... the can opener works better than the ones they sell at the stores ... :eek::D

Misplaced Hillbilly and Buzzbait like this.
  5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I like the can opener also, for the few times a year I use one!
    Here are some can openers - and some beautiful jigging!!
    Schrade Cut, and E.Weck, made by Schrade, in a similar time period before WWII.
    Schrade made 1.jpg Schrade made 2.jpg Schrade made 3.jpg Schrade made 4.jpg

6. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    TFBraden and Fodderwing like this.
  7. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks Buzz!! I like that finer-grained jig. It took concentration to make it right I think!!

TFBraden, Fodderwing and MerryMadMonk like this.
  8. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Superb Scouts.
    The Jigging is still in the Pic Bone neighbourhood Charlie?

9. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Right at home, Duncan. I'd call that Fine Pick Bone!!!

Campbellclanman likes this.
  10. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    You guys with your vintage bone handled Scout knives have annoyed me to the point I’ve finally decided to do something about it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Terrific pull and snap on everything. The only issues, if you could even call them issues, the tip was rounded. I’m guessing it got broken off. And the initials carved on the bolster and name on the bottle opener. But dang is this thing solid. Now I know why @Buzzbait and @veitsi_poika and a few of you others are so fanatical about these vintage Scout knives. I blame you guys for my daughter’s dwindling inheritanceo_O

11. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    Interesting. Whoever once owned that knife wasn't taking any chances!!! :eek:

But it's a beauty. Looks to be in great condition. That USA shield stamp is still quite visible. The main blade looks very full. Rings on the bolsters are nice and deep. You might even be able to take down those initials a bit without losing the ring. The bone looks to be in great shape too.

Well done. Every collection should have a good scout knife.

The engineer knives are definitely solid, built to stand the test of time, as well as the rigors of military use. The Kingston engineer knives (tang stamped MADE IN U.S.A.) are even more solid than the Camillus versions. They're like small tanks. Extremely robust and beefy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 8, 2011
  13. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I'mSoSharp likes this.
  14. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    I like it! :D:thumbsup:

315 likes this.
  15. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I can add this one here... not a typical "scout" knife but it was an official BSA knife ;) Whoever got this knife originally just put it in a drawer and never touched it until they sold it.

SW708-BS.JPG

16. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    Wow. So pristine and shiny. Nice find.

waynorth and veitsi_poika like this.
  17. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice Knives everyone,
    Thanks Charlie, at times Early Schrade Jigg work got hard to define at times when the Pic Bone starts to get to close to dishing.

315, Nice Knife - I agree with what Buzz said, those Bolsters are pretty Meaty - you should get most of that out! Lovely Bone!

Buzz, nice example and you are so right- those knives are Tanks! Hard to imagine that these knives ( Kingston's, Camillus ) were pumped out to such a large number!

Nice Solingen so sharp - nice to see! so too is Kevins Schrade Scout!

I'mSoSharp, waynorth and 315 like this.
  18. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Came home from work to find this beauty in the mailbox... haven't had time to research it (yet) but am open to any info if you have seen this one before. Very unique shield. It measures right at 3-1/2" and everything opens/closes nicely... and the bone! :eek:

CATTSC-1A.JPG CATTSC-1B.JPG CATTSC-1C.JPG CATTSC-1D.JPG CATTSC-1E.JPG

19. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I found this one for sale at a very reasonable price thru a knife dealer a few months back. Probably not so much a collectors item but has sentimental value to me as this is from my home council when I was a scout back in the early 70's. Not sure if you'd consider this a true scout knife as it has a corkscrew for the wine drinking scout. Wood scales, walnut?, Imperial Ireland made and in excellent condition and smooth blade action. Not gonna be an user for me but more of a mantle display for reminiscing about my long past younger days. Saukee knife 1 - 1.jpg Saukee knife 2 - 1.jpg

20. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I think it is a fine example of a scout knife :):thumbsup: Those corkscrews have other uses, I use it to pre-drill a hole in leather before I use the punch :D

afishhunter likes this.