Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Some wonderful campers shown in the last few pages. I have a real soft spot for 6 blade humpback camper models and enjoyed seeing the two recent Boker models from Peregrin and Fodderwing.
Here is an old example from the German firm of "Friedrich Olbertz". I like the "Winged Crown" logo on the blade and handle shield.

View attachment 1127988
That's a beauty! The "Winged Crown" logo is certainly unique. I like it too!

Looking for my “ Wolf Whistle” button!
I’m right into my Scouts but have never been swayed into this particular pattern and yet drawn to them and Super appreciating them being displayed.

Oh my Neal those are so wonderful! And the F Herder as a shadow! :eek: WOW all around on that line up. Thanks

Kabar by Robeson
Kabar%2520Scout.JPG

Thanks, Fodderwing, Buzzbait, and Peregrin.
Here is a group of old German 6 blade Humpback models which include from left to right :
Rich. Herder, Hartkopf, J.A.Schmidt, Bonsa, Kane Kutlery, H.Boker, and Friedr. Herder.

View attachment 1128178

Great collection Herder, I love those knives. Of them all, which would you say is of the highest quality? If I could only afford one, which one would YOU recommend?

420014E1-7100-4C78-A6C7-A01D9C0DEA7E by jim nevill, on Flickr

Picked up this minty Camillus Saturday, unused, packed in grease, has a no line tang stamp which is pretty hard to find, late 1940's.

View attachment 1119794 View attachment 1119795 View attachment 1119797
Gorgeous knife but the can opener doesn't look right to me. Seems like when the can opener is extended and force is applied to cut into the can the can opener would just fold up. On most knives of this type, the bottle opener/screwdriver and can opener are reversed from their positions on this knife. I must be missing something here. Can someone 'splain it to me? :confused: :D

Edited to add:
Never mind. I see how it works. Duh! :oops:

Last edited:
Thanks, Campbellclanman, Fodderwing, and jnevill.

jnevill, I find that the majority of German made knives are mostly very good quality. If I were to choose from some of the best though, J. A. Henckels, Boker, and F. Herder would rank among my top favorites.
Both Peregrin and Fodderwing had shown a couple of beautiful newer Boker humpback campers on the previous page. Older models can be found on the "big" auction site.

Some nice recent additions from waverave, leghog, jnevill, scrteened porch, and Veitsi Poika (showing a very rare Ulster "Sea Scout" knife)

Wow. Not one, but two!!!! In terms of aesthetics, this Remington pattern in bone may be my all-time favorite. So much vintage beauty in these wonderful old knives. The later Remington reissue of this pattern was nice, but nothing even to the craftsmanship of the original.

Great knife. These Camillus-made Kabars, if you ask me, may be the most bang for the buck you can get in scout knives. I love the grip you can achieve on the extra-thick and textured Delrin covers.

Well that's interesting. I have the bone covered Boker USA version of your knife, but it doesn't have the awesome clip point main blade. That's really cool.

This isn't necessarily a "scout" frame but it is a Ulster / Dwight Divine Sea Scout knife c.1938-1941 :)

View attachment 1134886 View attachment 1134887 View attachment 1134888

That's not an easy one to track down. Well done!!! Looks to be in good condition, too.

VuTxoaE.jpg

I'm glad I didn't buy that less pristine one a while ago for $12.
I never see these. It seems you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Kamp-King, but not so with Forest-Masters.
I was recently trying to help someone date their Forest Master but it had a Ranger tang stamp on it instead of Colonial. Otherwise, it looked exactly like the one in your photo. Do you know anything about the Ranger version?
ForestMasterRanger.jpg

Back