1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pistonsandgears, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    That's a beauty! The "Winged Crown" logo is certainly unique. I like it too!

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
  3. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, Fodderwing, Buzzbait, and Peregrin.
    Here is a group of old German 6 blade Humpback models which include from left to right :
    Rich. Herder, Hartkopf, J.A.Schmidt, Bonsa, Kane Kutlery, H.Boker, and Friedr. Herder.

BF German Humpback Camper Group .jpg

4. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Looking for my “ Wolf Whistle” button!
    I’m right into my Scouts but have never been swayed into this particular pattern and yet drawn to them and Super appreciating them being displayed.

Fodderwing likes this.
  5. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Oh my Neal those are so wonderful! And the F Herder as a shadow! :eek: WOW all around on that line up. Thanks

6. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    My new favorite Scout :)
    Primble_Scout_01.JPG
    Primble_Scout_02.JPG
    Primble_Scout_03.JPG

7. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Kabar Scout
    KA-BAR_scout_01.JPG

8. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Kabar by Robeson
    [​IMG]

9. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    This isn't necessarily a "scout" frame but it is a Ulster / Dwight Divine Sea Scout knife c.1938-1941 :)

USS-1A.JPG USS-1C.JPG USS-1D.JPG

10. jnevill

jnevill

Mar 8, 2008
    Great collection Herder, I love those knives. Of them all, which would you say is of the highest quality? If I could only afford one, which one would YOU recommend?

[​IMG]420014E1-7100-4C78-A6C7-A01D9C0DEA7E by jim nevill, on Flickr

11. Wardo46

Wardo46

Jun 26, 2015
    Gorgeous knife but the can opener doesn't look right to me. Seems like when the can opener is extended and force is applied to cut into the can the can opener would just fold up. On most knives of this type, the bottle opener/screwdriver and can opener are reversed from their positions on this knife. I must be missing something here. Can someone 'splain it to me? :confused: :D

Edited to add:
    Never mind. I see how it works. Duh! :oops:

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    veitsi_poika, waverave and Augie like this.
  12. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I'm glad I didn't buy that less pristine one a while ago for $12.
    I never see these. It seems you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Kamp-King, but not so with Forest-Masters.

13. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, Campbellclanman, Fodderwing, and jnevill.

jnevill, I find that the majority of German made knives are mostly very good quality. If I were to choose from some of the best though, J. A. Henckels, Boker, and F. Herder would rank among my top favorites.
    Both Peregrin and Fodderwing had shown a couple of beautiful newer Boker humpback campers on the previous page. Older models can be found on the "big" auction site.

Some nice recent additions from waverave, leghog, jnevill, scrteened porch, and Veitsi Poika (showing a very rare Ulster "Sea Scout" knife)

14. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
  15. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Wow. Not one, but two!!!! In terms of aesthetics, this Remington pattern in bone may be my all-time favorite. So much vintage beauty in these wonderful old knives. The later Remington reissue of this pattern was nice, but nothing even to the craftsmanship of the original.

Great knife. These Camillus-made Kabars, if you ask me, may be the most bang for the buck you can get in scout knives. I love the grip you can achieve on the extra-thick and textured Delrin covers.

Well that's interesting. I have the bone covered Boker USA version of your knife, but it doesn't have the awesome clip point main blade. That's really cool.

That's not an easy one to track down. Well done!!! Looks to be in good condition, too.

veitsi_poika and waverave like this.
  16. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks a lot Buzz!

17. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Fodderwing likes this.
  18. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    A. Tavella, 5" closed"
    [​IMG]

19. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    I was recently trying to help someone date their Forest Master but it had a Ranger tang stamp on it instead of Colonial. Otherwise, it looked exactly like the one in your photo. Do you know anything about the Ranger version?
    ForestMasterRanger.jpg

B.Mauser, Fodderwing and TFBraden like this.
  20. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Sorry, I don't. @B.Mauser in the Colonial thread probably would.

B.Mauser and waverave like this.